Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galv. For Gas

What's your opinion,

Albertsons grocery,McDonnalds Corp.,and Edwards Theaters did not allow any galvanized iron pipe to be installed for gas in or on their buildings,as damage could occur to their equipment due to the gal. flaking off the inside of the pipe and clogging orrifices mechanisms etc.I did these projects in the mid 90's.

Now I'm helping a fellow contractor screw a custom together and he insists on the whole house being galvanized iron pipe for gas.He uses domestic fittings and the best pipe he can get which I like because the gal. coating will help with casting pinholes.

But whats up with the large corperations not allowing it.Is it just an old school holdover.

Adam

Re: Galv. For Gas

I don't believe it's a "holdover", but then again I only remember what my Dad (he was a licensed steamfitter) telling me. As I recall, it isn't just a matter of concern for "flaking". As I understand it, some gas properties can cause a chemical reaction with zinc. I know that here in NY state, galvenized pipe is still prohibited from use on gas lines. I had a furnace replaced last year and some new gas line installed in my home a couple of months ago (both by licensed people), and in both cases it was either black iron or copper.

I'm sure you'll get quite a few comment from the pros, that will give you much more detail.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      I don't believe it's a "holdover", but then again I only remember what my Dad (he was a licensed steamfitter) telling me. As I recall, it isn't just a matter of concern for "flaking". As I understand it, some gas properties can cause a chemical reaction with zinc. I know that here in NY state, galvenized pipe is still prohibited from use on gas lines. I had a furnace replaced last year and some new gas line installed in my home a couple of months ago (both by licensed people), and in both cases it was either black iron or copper.

I'm sure you'll get quite a few comment from the pros, that will give you much more detail.

CWS
      AAAHHH. here it is again, different parts of the united states using different procedures of proccessing and putting additives in the natural gas.Similar to the discussion we had refferring to the use of using copper for gas.

Comment

adam, just had this conversation today.

copper for use in gas is dictated by the sulfur content from the gas supplier.

as far as i know, it's the specs on the job that dictated the type of pipe. just like we don't use drip legs here.

i remember on 1 large job, 544 apts. we couldn't get black pipe. we used gal for all the gas. miles and miles of gal

the only gal i use now is on gas. i use brass on water. referring to screw pipe only.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          adam, just had this conversation today.

copper for use in gas is dictated by the sulfur content from the gas supplier.

as far as i know, it's the specs on the job that dictated the type of pipe. just like we don't use drip legs here.

i remember on 1 large job, 544 apts. we couldn't get black pipe. we used gal for all the gas. miles and miles of gal

the only gal i use now is on gas. i use brass on water. referring to screw pipe only.

rick.
          I agree with Rick, in southern California. I've had "Gas Company" reps tell me gal. pipe works just as good. But........check with your regional supplier.
          the dog

Comment

Galv. is what I use. Done a few exterior runs ( adding gas meters/tankless water heaters ) looks better with no rust. If the jobsite still has galv. water supply I'll use black iron or csst just so no one gets in trouble down the road. Love csst but i'll only use it where I'm comfortable it won't be puntured in normal day to day conditions. csst and hdpe are great in siesmic locations.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
              Galv. is what I use. Done a few exterior runs ( adding gas meters/tankless water heaters ) looks better with no rust. If the jobsite still has galv. water supply I'll use black iron or csst just so no one gets in trouble down the road. Love csst but i'll only use it where I'm comfortable it won't be puntured in normal day to day conditions. csst and hdpe are great in siesmic locations.

wookie
              Do you use the yellow tape on male threads?
              This is not a trick.An honest question.I only use it when I'm getting inspected in L.A.cities jurisdiction.

I have a hard time keeping it tight in the valleys of the threads and it just srcews right up the threads never really gets into the fitting.I can get it,Just a pita when trying to put it on while it's turning in my machine.

Comment

I don't use tape only Key Tite 505. Lots easier while turning in the threader.

wookie

Comment

teflon is teflon

the difference is the mil. thickness and the color.

save your money and go with the white. i typically use slicktite or rectorseal(rectum seal) for my paste dope.

i too love the csst (gastite) and the hdpe

adam, forget the gas, practice on the 9 or 18 hole you have a month to impress us and woop me

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    teflon is teflon

the difference is the mil. thickness and the color.

save your money and go with the white. i typically use slicktite or rectorseal(rectum seal) for my paste dope.

i too love the csst (gastite) and the hdpe

adam, forget the gas, practice on the 9 or 18 hole you have a month to impress us and woop me

rick.
                    I'm going out next Tue. evening,man I love the long hours of sunlight.
                    You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING by the time we get out there It will be only my 5-6th time on a course.If your doing this for the competition you've got to know bettering me on the course would be like taking candy from a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      I'm going out next Tue. evening,man I love the long hours of sunlight.
                      You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING by the time we get out there It will be only my 5-6th time on a course.If your doing this for the competition you've got to know bettering me on the course would be like taking candy from a baby.
                      according to mrs. seat down/ joey, taking candy from a baby is no where as bad as robbing the cradle i'm 12 up on her

joey loves teflon, nothing sticks to it

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

For New York state at least i know according to code here in the Albany area we are not allowed to use anything but black pipe on natural gas with non teflon pipe dope. Wish i knew more about the reasons behind this.

Comment

On gas: standard teflon (white) and Key-Tite.

As, Dirty said: in LA you use the approved yellow tape. Which, like most of LA City is bullshit.
                          the dog

Comment

Here on Long Island New York Galv only on the outside and to the first fitting or the first 18" inside. No Teflon tape or Blue block. Pro dope is what most use or Megalock.
                            Last edited by JRM638fitter; 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I"ve worked a few states where only tape is allowed on gas pipe threads . They are afraid of sloppyness with the paste obstructing orifices . Especially where no drip legs are required

Comment

Working...
                              X