X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Wrench

I am trying to use the RIDGID Internal Wrench (Model #342) to remove the drain from a bath tub but it won't work. Can anyone give me some tips?

Re: Internal Wrench

What's it doing?

Comment

First, do you have the right size inserted into the tub drain? If so, what happens when you try to turn it? Does it slip?

Some of those old tub shoes just wont budge. Better to use a cresent wrench on the handle for leverage. Be careful don't let it slip off and chip the tub finish. Been there...done that

~Bill

Comment

The spud may be frozen in the waste shoe you may have to cut it out.You can use a sawzall and metal blade.Do you have acces to drain from underneath the tub
        Last edited by drtyhands; 05-05-2007, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          The spud may be frozen in the waste shoe you may have to cut it out.You can use a sawzall and metal blade.
          Thats not a job for a beginner

Comment

Hrrea3,
            Don't let him call you that

Got any tool skills?

Comment

Thanks, DrtyHands. The wrench slips. Yes, I have tools. I just want to replace the spud. I do have access, not easy, to the drain so i could replace the waste shoe if necessary. Any advice about cutting out the spud?

Comment

I can as others tell you how to cut it out.Lets wait for a few tips,I dont use the wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by HRRea3 View Post
                  Any advice about cutting out the spud?
                  My advice is DON'T do it!

You spent $50 on the proper tool to remove that spud now use it. I luv my 342

Are you sure you have the right insert for the tub drain inserted? It should just barely fit inside tub drain. If not, flip it over and try a different size.

I just hope it's not a enameled steel tub if you try to cut it out.

Comment

It's a toss up between Sawzall,taking time with hacksaw blade with no frame,or replace waste shoe.Hope it can be done with the wrench,or other internal tool type option.

I know an electrical engineer that would differ with your point of view plumberscrack.Some people are very capable when well informed

Comment

Thanks, Plumberscrack. Yes, I believe I am using the 342 correctly. The spud just won't budge.

Comment

Dirty, I'm sure you've done it a number of times as I have. I only do it as a last resort. It takes time and above all patience. It been 10 years since I couldn't remove a spud with my wrench. Every now and then you get one that just wants to be a pecker. Try some penetrating oil overnight. The risk/reward is high when doing that. Please be careful.

Comment

So, can you get a blade between the waste shoe and the underneath of the tub?

Comment

The Ridgid internal wrench is a favorite specialty tool of mine. But, I don't know how well it works on a tub strainer, which is made of brass tubing.
                            the dog

Comment

If you want to take a chance, you can use a chisel and hammer, and hitting closer to drain side of strainer piece, in the direction for it to unscrew. Several good blows with the hammer and it will turn out for you. Then you only need to replace that top strainer in to old shoe piece. I never chipped a tub doing it that way. and thats how I do them when they are tight. Freddy

Comment

Working...
                              X