Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hose bib installation

Originally posted by gmolnar View Post
    First of all, thank you for all your suggestions. I took off the vacuum breaker and removed the plumbing tape and rethreaded it by hand as was specified. The threads seemed fine. However, it leaks a good bit of water between the vacuum breaker and the hose bib. Would the pipe dope solve that?
    The washer/o-ring should stop that if the threads are goon on both h/b and v/b.

Comment

I figured out why its leaking....I didn't notice before when I drilled out the side screw on the original vacuum breaker I inadvertently drilled a hole into the hose bib. (I'm learning ). Is there any fix for this other than replacing the hose bib. Please tell me there's something.... thanks!!

p.s. The second one I did works perfectly!!

Comment

No you will have to replace the hose faucet to stop this leak. But you may what to wait for the dog to answer this one for you.

Comment

[quote=gmolnar;81911]I figured out why its leaking....I didn't notice before when I drilled out the side screw on the original vacuum breaker I inadvertently drilled a hole into the hose bib. (I'm learning ). Is there any fix for this other than replacing the hose bib. Please tell me there's something.... thanks!!

best bet is to replace the hose bibb.

next bet is to epoxie the little hole.

arrowhead brass, now owned by champion sprinkler co. makes a hose bibb with yellow handle. this new bibb has an integral vacuum breaker designed into the body. it flows 12-15 gpm without all the old issues of external vac. breakers. not too sure how avaliable it is yet. i saw the first one last week at the trade show and was impressed. it is also servicable by removing the entire stem assy.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I'd like to try the epoxy. How do you work with it. I've looked it up and it hardens quickly yet would need to stick to the metal around it from the hose bib. How do you put it in the hole such that it doesn't mess up the threads on the outside but touches the outside enough to adhere to it?

Comment

You could use pool epoxy, It would work better for wet location, will give you 15 min, for you to work it into place.

Comment

Can you get pool epoxy at Lowe's/HD or do you need a specialty plumber store? Does it harden as hard as regular plumber's epoxy? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  "Whatever starts in California unfortunately has an inclination to spread"-- Jimmy Carter
                  "In my heart, I have lusted"-- Jimmy Carter
                  America:
                  The land of the free
                  Because of the brave

Comment

I used the plumber's epoxy and it worked great. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X