Washing machine drain backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Washing machine drain backup

And shouldn't there be a P trap somewhere in the drain line within 2 feet of the riser into which the washer hose empties?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents View Post
      Every so often I get water coming out of the drain when the washing machine empties (it's a newer model). I'm trying to avoid having to raise the drain and associated plumbing hence my work around of adding the additional pipe in parallel but the problem still persists. Any suggestions or blantant mistakes in my configuration?

Thanks

Guys, that white thing is a drum trap, I am almost positive, look up illegal traps, and that will be in the list. All that needs to be cut out, so many better ways to do a washing machine stand pipe and laundry tie in. oh well, just wanted to give you the heads up on the trap
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

That is a swivel drum trap. They were used on tubs mostly, never seen one on a laundry. Unscrew the clean out on the bottom ,make sure there is no lint inside. Then when you get a chance rip it all out, and replace as previously stated.
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

The drum trap is great for catching rings and stuff, not so good for sand and lint. I saw these a few times , back east . They were usually made out brass or copper and used on claw foot tubs.

Comment

Next time anyone goes on a cruise or high end yacht. If the boat is made by the Germans or Swedes, you will probably see traps similar to this.

Comment

I was told when I first started working that Drum traps were put on bath tubs do to the larger water capacity in that they would not evaporate out, when bathing was done weekly or monthly, ("the Saturday night bath"). I can't fine any documentation on that tho.

Until a few years ago the old "wash house" was still standing on the farm here, it was a small building that the folks and the Grand parents had used for bathing and laundry before plumbing, it was near the windmill, windmill feed a over head tank in it that held about 50 gallons then over flowed in to the storage tank for the cattle, and a wood cook stove with reservoir, the bath tub was a steel galvanized, oblong tub, like a wash tub, see picture.
              Mom had a gas powered washing machine with a foot pedal start on it, she could never get it started by her self, only with with dads help, but it was better than the wash tub and a scrub board, the water was dumped into a pipe and drained onto the garden. (similar to picture).
              They had a gravity feed for water into the house from the tank in the wash house to the kitchen sink (no hot water in the house except for the kitchen wood stove reservoir), and the other plumbing fixture was a little white building about 75' north of the back door.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BHD; 05-15-2007, 10:51 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Update on Washing machine drain backup

I ripped out all of the plumbing which was actually 1 1/2" pipe instead of the recommended 2" pipe.

While the wife was running water in the upstairs drain I was peering into the floor drain when I saw the water starting to rise. I went to my favorite big box store and rented a mini rooter. Good times! Now I know why a plumber would charge $200. After running it through the line a couple of times we were able to run water upstairs with no effects showing up in the downstairs drain. There definately was a partial blockage.

I'm currently redoing the plumbing with 2" pipe, more or less to Hondahead's suggestion.

I have a new respect and appreciation for the plumbers out there. You can't just glue a couple of pieces of pipe together and think you're a plumber! This forum has really proved to be a valuable tool and I thank everyone for their input.

Comment

[QUOTE=2 cents;79238]Update on Washing machine drain backup

While the wife was running water in the upstairs drain I was peering into the floor drain when I saw the water starting to rise. I went to my favorite big box store and rented a mini rooter. Good times! Now I know why a plumber would charge $200. After running it through the line a couple of times we were able to run water upstairs with no effects showing up in the downstairs drain. There definately was a partial blockage.

QUOTE]

$200 to clear a secondary drain!? hmmm...I better update my price list.
                  "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

Originally posted by rafterq View Post

$200 to clear a secondary drain!? hmmm...I better update my price list.
                    Me Too!
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X