Washing machine drain backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing machine drain backup

Every so often I get water coming out of the drain when the washing machine empties (it's a newer model). I'm trying to avoid having to raise the drain and associated plumbing hence my work around of adding the additional pipe in parallel but the problem still persists. Any suggestions or blantant mistakes in my configuration?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Washing machine drain backup

I AM NOT A PLUMBER!!! there that being said i do not see a vent i also have never seen anything like what you have(did your plumber get paid by the amount of fittings he could use or what?) i do not under stand the 2 45degree wyes like they are and what is that tank they go into? i know this does not answer your question but i hope the plumber here can enlight me as well
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Try running snake down drain to unstop line. would be the easy way to start with. freddy

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
        I AM NOT A PLUMBER!!! there that being said i do not see a vent i also have never seen anything like what you have(did your plumber get paid by the amount of fittings he could use or what?) i do not under stand the 2 45degree wyes like they are and what is that tank they go into? i know this does not answer your question but i hope the plumber here can enlight me as well
        I AM A PLUMBER!!! and I don't know WTF I'm looking at there. Is that suppose to be a loop vent above the trap? Or did you add that piping to contain the backup? That has to be a lint trap I see there. Where does the other 2" PVC line go? Does that line ever back up? Did it backup befor new washer? I would have done it differently not to say what you have is wrong. Try snaking it 1st (if you can get a snake to go through all those fittings) then we can discuss changing the piping. Do you get suds coming out or just water?

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I AM A PLUMBER!!! and I don't know WTF I'm looking at there. Is that suppose to be a loop vent above the trap? Or did you add that piping to contain the backup? That has to be a lint trap I see there. Where does the other 2" PVC line go? Does that line ever back up? Did it backup befor new washer? I would have done it differently not to say what you have is wrong. Try snaking it 1st (if you can get a snake to go through all those fittings) then we can discuss changing the piping. Do you get suds coming out or just water?

~Bill
          Bill

I added the piping to try and contain the backup. The other PVC line goes to a laundry sink and I only have a problem there if I'm running the sink and the washer is emptying at the same time. I will try snaking the pipe, I know it was snaked 3 years ago when we had a major backup (the upstairs kitchen sink contents were coming into the laundry tub). As far as I can tell it's just water coming out. It's a front load machine so we are using the HE detergent.

Comment

Ah a front loader..NICE . Watch the amount of soap you use.

3 years in between stoppages is not bad at all.

Comment

Just for fun here's a picture of a real front loading clothes washer. I doubt anyone would really want one for home use though.

Bill and Rick are the guys that will help you. I know nothing about anything other than trashing forums.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Woussko; 05-11-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents View Post
                Any suggestions or blantant mistakes in my configuration?
                Your washer has no vent. Your configuration has created an S-trap. Your stand pipe (washer discharge pipe) is too short.

I suggest you remove everything from the wye that ties the washer to the sink on, including the 90 above the no hub coupling.

Starting from the no hub place a TY facing to the left to pick up the washer above that another TY facing right to pick up the sink and then above that (min 4")an auto air vent (Oatley or studor) Pipe your washer stand pipe as tall as possible but do not exceed 36".

That will solve your piping problem but you may still have a partial blockage in the under slab piping.
                Last edited by Hondahead; 05-11-2007, 09:33 PM.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Note to potential flamers

I relize my suggested solution isn't ideal, but it will work a hell of a lot better than whats already there.
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

2 cents,

The 2" pipe that continues horizonally into the wall adjacent to the wm supply wall, what is it connected to?

Comment

Holy Crap ..........

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                        Holy Crap ..........
                        ______CLASSIC______
                        _________ ________

Comment

Originally posted by 2 cents View Post
                          Every so often I get water coming out of the drain when the washing machine empties (it's a newer model). I'm trying to avoid having to raise the drain and associated plumbing hence my work around of adding the additional pipe in parallel but the problem still persists. Any suggestions or blantant mistakes in my configuration?

Thanks
                          2 cents, you don't have a vent and you have a trap that i'm not familiar with. without a vent, you will have issues of slow draining and possible siphoning of the trap seal. what is the line that you tie into the ground? looks like old cast iron? the 2 worst fixtures in a residential installation are kitchens and laundry

rework the vent and trap, and snake the line or jet it.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

It's connected to a laundry sink.

Comment

2 cents,
                              Roots or partial clog in you main line(pipe that exits home to town sewer) could also be your problem. You say that back up "happens every so often" not every time. This leads me to believe you have a main line problem.
                              Does it seem to happen after you have used lots of water elsewhere? Like taking a shower then doing laundry soon after.
                              When roots first start to cause problems water can still get through just not as fast. I.E.You take a shower and the water is starting to back up in the main line. Once you stop using water the back up will slowly go down and you will never notice it. But if you continue to add a large volume of water(washing machine) it will backup.
                              Are the back ups happening more often?
                              Roots are a common problem this time of year in Maine and living in Portland I assume you live in an older home that has an older main line sewer.
                              TO TEST:
                              Find the pipe that exits your home. Close by you should find a clean out cap. Remove this cap(slowly, it may be holding water. If it starts to leak water then close the cap) If the line is not holding water then run your bath tub for a while. If the line is already holding water or you start getting water coming back (a small amount is normal) when you run the tub then the problem is in the main line.
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X