X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Replacement

What's the easiest way to remove a vertical (& corroded) cast iron dwv stack from the floor flange? I intend to cut it top and bottom, then remove it, and replace it with pvc & neoprene sleeve, but first I have to get old lead & oakum out, which I've never done before.
    Alternately I could use cast iron again with oakum & lead wool, but because the top piece will still be in place, I'll likely have to splice in a section using sleeves. Is there a better way to do this?
    Regardless I am still going to have to remove whatever is left of the original pipe because it is leaking about a half inch off the point where it enters the floor Y cleanout.

Thanks.

Re: Cast Iron Replacement

Originally posted by davidson View Post
    What's the easiest way to remove a vertical (& corroded) cast iron dwv stack from the floor flange? I intend to cut it top and bottom, then remove it, and replace it with pvc & neoprene sleeve, but first I have to get old lead & oakum out, which I've never done before.
    Alternately I could use cast iron again with oakum & lead wool, but because the top piece will still be in place, I'll likely have to splice in a section using sleeves. Is there a better way to do this?
    Regardless I am still going to have to remove whatever is left of the original pipe because it is leaking about a half inch off the point where it enters the floor Y cleanout.

Thanks.
    Here's some options:

1) Cut the entire hub off and connect with a no-hub coupling.

2) If you have to remove the lead, I have found the easiest way is to drill holes in the lead with the largest drill bit you can fit. Then pull the lead out with a "lead pick". If you don't have a lead pick (which you probably don't because leading tools are hard to find these days) you can probably work it out with a slim chisel or strong screw driver.
    the dog

Comment

Let me first say I am not a licensed plumber. However, since our municipality prohibits plastic(sched 40) pipe, we primarily use cast iron. Banded couplings make using CI a snap. If you can use an angle grinder and a screwdriver, most homeowner applications are relatively simple. I added a powder room and a laundry room using CI. It is, however, very important to use the correct banded coupling to assure a proper water tight connection that will not fail.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

see my other post

Comment

Thanks all.
          The photos might make it easier to see what I'm up against.
          Attached Files

Comment

i would cut the cast iron riser above the wye with a combination of 4.5'' grinder and a sawzall. at that point you will have a very easy access to the lead joint. you will be able to pick at the lead with a sharp chisel or you can also run the sawzall into the vertical interior of the pipe and cut 3 slits to pry the pipe out. make sure you stuff some rags into the wye to prevent anything or pipe from dropping into the stack. you will need to make a new lead joint with either a hot lead pour or lead wool. sort of like steel wool, but lead instead.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input, I apppreciate it. I'll get started at making some easier access first, and then decide whether I want to do this myself or hire it out.

Comment

Working...
              X