X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Pump

Checking out a water pressure problem, I noticed the guage on my pressurized tank showed a quick drop in pressure with no water running in the house. The pressure would drop slowly (20 seconds) from 60psi to 40psi then quickly drop to zero - then pump back up to 60psi and start the cycle over again. I'm not a plumber, but reasoned that the check valve on the pump (220 ft deep) was not functioning and I was losing the water back into the well. In an attempt to keep my well pump from burning out, I installed a check valve in-line on the pump side of the pressurized tank which stablized the pressure and all appears to be working OK.

My question is does this solve my problem or will I still need to pull the pump and check it's operation. Again, I'm not a plumber, but I would think I am losing the water from the new check valve back to the well which would make the pump work harder each time it has to pump.

I would appreciate comments.

Reluctant Plumber.

Re: Well Pump

You might want to check the well line for leaks before pulling your pump.
    Since the check valve you installed "appears" to have solved the problem I would assume that your losing pressure somewhere before the check valve(at the pitless adapter or at some other fitting, hopefully not underground((notice any wet spots near underground line?)).
    I think if you shut the pump breaker off over night(or a few hrs) and then pulled the pump at the pittless. If the check valve in the pump is working( or fitting at pump is not leaking), the line should be quite heavy as it would be full of water. If it is full or water your problem is somewhere between the new check valve and the pittless, so no need to pull the pump all the way out. If its not that heavy then the problem is somewhere between the pittless and the pump.
    Please keep in mind I'm not a pro at well systems so I could be missing something.

ALSO: don't forget to disinfect the well if you end up messing around with it. I saw a guy pull his entire line. it sat in the drive way a few hrs then he put everything back and never disinfected the well. dogs, cats, birds, mice and who knows what walk in that drive way. He put his family's health at risk because he was tired of messing around with the thing. Luckily no one got sick.
    Last edited by Gene Bickford; 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM. Reason: forgot info
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Your analysis and suggestions make sense. As I recall, the last time I pulled the pump several years ago we had a problem getting a leak at the pitless adapter to stop. We managed to stop it then, maybe it started up again. That should be easy enough to check.

Comment

you could have a pin hole in the drop pipe.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If a check valve at the tank(which should have already been there imho) solved the problem I'd say your good for now. Depending on your static level it could have solved the problem of a check valve at the pump failing. Physics only allow so much water to be held up vertically by vacuum. If your static level is 20feet or more from the level of your new check valve you will start getting air in your system if the check valve in the well is failing.

If it is leaking somewhere between the house and the well it would cause the problem as well. Unless you start having issues with water where it shouldn't be or the pump is running continuously you stuck waiting.

I don't recommend pulling you pump out until you really have to.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
            I don't recommend pulling you pump out until you really have to.

Thanks, Boytyperanma, I was hoping someone who know more about plumbing than I would say that!!

Comment

Working...
            X