Foul clean-up job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul clean-up job

Last night my wife and I were informed that our newly purchased home has a root problem in the main line. Obviously, we weren't too excited about this news. The folks from Roto Rooter pulled out 3 lbs. of roots as well as some raw sewage. The roots are out, but some of the sewage remains on the basement floor. I am considering going to purchase a wet/dry vac to clean the floor tonight and wanted to get some opinions on the way to go. On one hand it would be nice to have a good model for future use. On the other hand, it's first use will be for raw sewage. Maybe that should be it's only use? Would you recommend getting a model to last a while or just for one nasty job? What type of wet vac would you recommend?

Thanks,
    John

Re: Foul clean-up job

personally I would buy one to keep. Your just going to have to clean it good when your done. I'd use 1 part bleach mixed with 10 parts water. Same with the floor if its just cement.
    If the vac is just something your going to use around the house like cleaning the car etc..I wouldn't worry about getting the biggest/best model. Due to space I keep a little 3gal one on my van and it works just fine.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Buy something for the long haul, you can use bleach to clean the hose and vacune tank out. And you will come up with more uses down the road.

Comment

Unless there is a lot of liquid with it, scrape it up with a dust pan put in a plastic lined box or trash can, and mop up with some Clorox water,
        How would you clean up Dog doo?

The vacuum is nice but not usually necessary,

Wash your hands before you eat

Off topic, but I have a friend who was a butcher, and one day he was in the slaughterhouse, and was skinning and gutting a critter, and a sales man came in one day and wanted to talk to him, and so my friend said do you care if I eat my lunch, the sales man had the idea the butcher would go out to another room to eat, but no he reaches over and grabs a sack and reaches in and right there in front of the pile of guts and the hanging carcass and the smells and the blood he starts eating, the salesman jsut about lost it, I don't think he sold my friend any thing that day,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This is just a thought but you might check yard sales and ask your neighbors if they have a junker shop vac. You can sometimes get one dirt cheap use it for a nasty job and then put it into a big trash bag and be rid of it. Then take your time and get a good one for your main work. I would go with the shovel or dust pan idea unless you have a real mess in your basement. You might want to clean up with Lysol or a good pine oil cleaner. The bleach and water works, but be sure to keep the place well aired. Also, wear good eye protection and rubber gloves on your hands.

Comment

The first thing I would do is pick up the phone and call my insurance company. This might be covered under warranty. If it is, so should the cleanup by a professional trained and certified in sewage removal.

Sure you might get rid of the water and smell yourself but the bacteria and viruses are multiplying as I type this.

Some might say I overreact to raw sewage but that's because I'm a Germaphobe

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              The first thing I would do is pick up the phone and call my insurance company. This might be covered under warranty. If it is, so should the cleanup by a professional trained and certified in sewage removal.

Sure you might get rid of the water and smell yourself but the bacteria and viruses are multiplying as I type this.

Some might say I overreact to raw sewage but that's because I'm a Germaphobe
              While I believe your advise is sound many insurance companies cancel your policy at the mention of a flood claim. I'm sure it has a lot to do with all of the recent mold lawsuits.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Why didn't the contractor you hired clean up the mess? Was this from a backup that occurred before you called them in or did it happen while they were there during the course of doing their work? Shouldn't they be expected to clean up as part of their work or at least contain the mess as much as possible? And if they did contain any spillage in any way that would seem to imply responsibility for ensuring that nothing is left behind when they are done.

There are others you can call in such as ServiceMaster to name one, but I have never used them personally. They'll clean up after fires and floods and such, and may be of help with your problem or turn you on to someone who does.

Mark, you really think an insurance company would be that quick to cancel or not renew a policy for just a sewer backup or say a washing machine hose break as opposed to a fully flooded basement from a storm or hurricane?
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  Mark, you really think an insurance company would be that quick to cancel or not renew a policy for just a sewer backup or say a washing machine hose break as opposed to a fully flooded basement from a storm or hurricane?
                  Sadly enough I am seeing it more and more. As a matter of fact, many plumbers now have a clause in their liability insurance which excludes coverage for mold. It has just become too costly to deal with water damage. I think the record claim I have worked on from water damage topped $500,000.00.

A lot of insurance companies have been sued recently because they did not hire someone like ServiceMaster to clean up plus an Environmental Hygienist to do mold test. Then if any mold is found you need to have a Remediation Company set up a HEPA filter and tear all of the old stuff out followed by another mold test. If you get clearance on the second mold test you can rebuilt and then ask for your final mold test.

The family who lived across the street from my daughter had a leak just prior to close of escrow on their $600,000.00 home. It was a pinhole leak in the gal pipe and it did a couple of hundred dollars worth of damage to the ceiling and carpeting. Rather than fixing it himself and moving on he turned it in to his insurance company and asked the buyer to have them fix it. When the buyer’s insurance company found out about the leak the underwriter refused to write a policy. Now no one will buy the house because there is a water leak reported on the property and the insurance companies won’t write a homeowners policy. Because the family had already bought another home they will soon be losing the first home in a foreclosure.

Many times what use to be handled by the homeowner with a wet and dry vacuum now costs tens of thousands of dollars to "repair". I in part blame the homeowners who believe they bought a maintenance-free home which is self-healing. I also blame the companies who charge the big bucks for a simple cleanup because they can get away with it in an emergency.

Mark

Comment

Wow, but don't forget to include the lawyers who are more than happy to file on your behalf a calim against an insurance co., and thke their more than fair share which just drives the cost of premiums up and up.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Wow, but don't forget to include the lawyers who are more than happy to file on your behalf a calim against an insurance co., and thke their more than fair share which just drives the cost of premiums up and up.
                      Sorry but I may have to take the fifth on that one.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Many times what use to be handled by the homeowner with a wet and dry vacuum now costs tens of thousands of dollars to "repair". I in part blame the homeowners who believe they bought a maintenance-free home which is self-healing. I also blame the companies who charge the big bucks for a simple cleanup because they can get away with it in an emergency.

Mark

these water clean up companies are a joke. most of the asbestos clean up co's now do water damage clean up. i guess they ran out of asbestos and now go after insurance money.

just last week i had a customer with a basement with approx. 6'' of clean water from a leaking water heater. the basement was all concrete. i warned them about the pricing before they called a water cleanup co.

in a hour they called me to pump out the clean water and put in a fan.

i pumped, vacuumed and sprayed a disinfectant and let the fan run 24 hours to help dry the concrete basement. the owner was thrilled with the cost and paid me within 3 days.

remember this was clean water on a concrete floor and walls. approx. 15' x 15' x 6'' deep.

the transfer pump brought it down to approx. 1.5'' and my ridgid shop vac with a special ridgid vac pump finished off the Job. i was very impressed with the ridgid vac/ pump.

rick.
                        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-30-2007, 09:50 PM. Reason: correction
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Could not agree more, Bob D.
                          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            just got a real good chance to try out my new ridgid vac pump 2000 (vp2000)

i had a basement with a water heater leak. the owner had a feeling something was wrong for the last 5 days. well today the heater shut off. she opened the basement door to find approx. 6'' of standing water in a 15'x 15' concrete basement. approx. 841 gallons

i went there to pump out the water and took my new 12 gallon ridgid vac. and vp2000 vac. pump. this was the first time i got a chance to use it.

it was very impressive i used a transfer pump to first get the water level down to approx. 1.5'' deep. then i used my 12 gallon ridgid shop vac. with the vp2000 attached to the drain port. i connected the 50'- 5/8'' garden hose to the pump. the pump had to lift approx. 8' to street level.

as i was using the vac. to suck up the water, i turned on the vp2000 to start pumping the vac. out.

all i can say was wow it pumped as i was vacuuming the water from the concrete floor. it sure made it easy to clean up the basement. the pump would even pump with the vac. running. i would have to stop every so often to allow the pump to catch up, but that was to be expected as the vac. had a 2.5'' suction hose and the pump had a 5/8'' discharge hose going up 8'.

still it was a pleasure not having to stop and empty the vac. of water.

just thought that you all would like to hear about it first hand.

i was very pleased

why can't i find it on this site?

rick.
                            this was the pump i referred to from a prior post.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

Is it just a little wierd that you are quoting yourself?

mark
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-30-2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X