X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I get a shower diverter??

This seems like it should be simple to me, but Home Depot and Rona don't seem to carry them.

I'm wondering if there might be some reason for this.

The fixture I'm putting in my shower comes with a tub spout that has a built in diverter. You pull down on the part where the water comes out and it engages.

I don't much care for it. I'd rather put a diverter on the pipe leading up to the fixture, and have it on the wall right under the fixture itself. Why should I have to bend down in a tile shower?

Makes sense, right?

So where do I buy a diverter and tub spout? Is there some reason not to do this?

Re: Where do I get a shower diverter??

what do the plumbing supply houses in your area say as to where you can look at the fixtures they have to offer or somewhere else who can.

also look online,share with us what you think you might like,and we can give you a review on the pros and cons.

Comment

Thanks man.

Before I keep looking, is there any inherent reason not to do this?

Comment

If You just take showers, why not just remove tub filler spout, and put on a cap. Other wise, I think you may have to buy and install a whole new valve body that has a push button diverter just below handle of valve. Delta comes to mind.

Comment

Because you are installing a new fixture why are you not installing a fixture you like? As Freddy mentioned you can buy other valves which don't have lift-spout diverters.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I did buy a fixture I like.

I'm leaving a spout there in case for some reason I need to wash something off or some such thing. Just seems like it could be a useful thing to have.

Even if just to turn the water on... feel the temp with my toes... then pull the diverter to turn on the shower.

Does the fixture care whether the diverter is on the tub spout or just underneath itself? I figured 6" below my fixture, I'd put a diverter. Is that a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
              Does the fixture care whether the diverter is on the tub spout or just underneath itself?
              The fixture has no feelings one way or the other.
              It won't look pretty because the diverter handle won't be the same as the faucet. It might look a lil odd.
              All you need is a 1/2" quarter turn valve installed between the faucet and new regular tub spout.

Comment

I want the diverter to match the faucet. That shouldn't be hard, so long as it's chrome, right?

I don't want just a quarter turn valve. I'd like one of those knobs you just pull straight out on. Sort of like the ones that are most often on top of the tub spout or between the knobs, but just by itself below the fixture. Is such a thing available?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                  I want the diverter to match the faucet. That shouldn't be hard, so long as it's chrome, right?

I don't want just a quarter turn valve. I'd like one of those knobs you just pull straight out on. Sort of like the ones that are most often on top of the tub spout or between the knobs, but just by itself below the fixture. Is such a thing available?

the easiest thing to do is to purchase a tub/ shower valve with a built in diverter.

most separate diverters are of the 1/4 turn style.

you could just swap out the spout to a lift style diverter.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Yeah... but now I'm back to having to bend over to turn on the shower.

Comment

Just so I'm clear on what you want....

You want to cut an access behind the faucet. Install some sort of push/pull diverter valve on the pipe going to the tub spout. Cut a hole in the tile and install the chrome handle knob. Do all this because you don't want to bend all the way over to lift the tub spout diverter?

Unless you have some medical condition that has fused the vertebrae in your back I have to say thats just nuts.

Comment

crack,

In reading the first post I believe he is already installing a new Tub & Shower valve but does not like the fact that it has a diverter spout.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just buy the faucet you want that has diverter built into the faucet, and install it as high as you little fingers care to reach. Repair hole in your wall where old faucet was. Problem solved

Comment

Working...
                          X