No announcement yet.

New House Vent Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New House Vent Questions

Hello, I am in the process of building a house, and have started on the drain system, as shown in the attached sketch (sorry for the quality). The system is about half installed at this point. I have been having trouble finding sections of the code that describe my situation. Note, I live in a very rural area, and the building inspector could not even tell me to follow the UPC or IRC.

I have two main questions:

1. Do I need to add a vent to the toilet in the basement? It is ~4' from the main stack, but note that the main stack does have a small (~3' horizontal) jog with 45's. Obviously, adding the vent means cutting concrete at this point.

I wasn't smart/educated enough to pick up on this issue last fall when I installed the underslab plumbing. The drain lines were inspected, but the inspector either didn't catch it, didn't care, or thought it met code. I haven't talked with him about this yet - I wanted to get some other opinions first. No mater what he says, I want it done right.

2. Do I need to add a separate vent for the laundry drain, even though it is ~2' from the stack? This is no big deal at this point.

At this point, if I have some rework to do, I'll chalk it up to education

I really appreciate the help.

Attached Files

Re: New House Vent Questions

is gdavis62 your contractor

sounds very similar to what he has posted the last few weeks.

do a little catch up reading on his post.

you can do a quick search for his post and get all the info you need. he had very similar questions in a very similar location.

to answer your question. vent every fixture you can. if it involves cutting the basement. do it now over later.

phoebe it is

Re: New House Vent Questions

Why do you have a toilet with no sink? Add a 3x2 or 4x2 combo and that will be the sink drain and toilet vent, AKA wet vent.