Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ventaway hissing change plunger/fill valve?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ventaway hissing change plunger/fill valve?

I just spoke with an American Standard engineer to see if he could come on the forum to answer/give us links to our questions but instead of that he is sending(snail mail) information on how to get rid of the vent away system and replace with a regular fluid master valve. This "fix it" is approved by A/S for two piece toilets only. He said he also knows of a way "fix" the one piece toilet but it's not approved by A/S. I don't think he'll be sending one piece info but maybe we can figure it out from the two piece info.
    I'll copy and post the directions when they arrive.
    I was about to "fix" this toilet with 5 gals of hydraulic cement. I like his way better.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

a fluidmaster will never flush with a 1 pc. old toilet.

it's very easy to convert a ventaway to a normal roma non vent away. you still need the expensive ballcock and backflow preventer. along with the new flush valve. still an expensive option. i've never replaced the actual vent away components, but my supply house has it for big bucks

the whole trick with older 1 pc. toilets is that during a flush, the ballcock diverts to full flow into the flush/ rim wash. unlike a normal 2 pc. that can be flushed with a full tank and water not turned on, a 1 pc requires plenty of water during the flush. that's why a normal ballcock or fluidmaster will not perform properly.

kohler had the same issues too. i don't think that the new 1.6 gpf require anything special for a ballcock. that's why most 1.6 toilets use a fluidmaster or hunter (toto) now.

kohler, americand standard tried and have failed. fluidmaster is the #1 ballcock in the usa.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I just spoke with an American Standard engineer to see if he could come on the forum to answer/give us links to our questions but instead of that he is sending(snail mail) information on how to get rid of the vent away system and replace with a regular fluid master valve. This "fix it" is approved by A/S for two piece toilets only. He said he also knows of a way "fix" the one piece toilet but it's not approved by A/S. I don't think he'll be sending one piece info but maybe we can figure it out from the two piece info.
        I'll copy and post the directions when they arrive.
        I was about to "fix" this toilet with 5 gals of hydraulic cement. I like his way better.
        Dear Gene,
        Did you ever receive that information on changing out the ventaway from the engineer at Am Standard? I tried looking on the forum and could not find it posted.

I am trying to repair a 30 year old toilet for my elderly mother. It has started leaking in the fill valve and she has only been using it a few years. It was in storage for many years waiting for the bathroom to be ready for it! I put a replacement spigot washer on the plunger but it continued to leak at a slower rate. I tried to adjust the float ball lever to give maximum shut off pressure. Thanks for your informative posts.

Comment

I did/do have it. 'Can I FIND it' is what you should be asking.
          I have a bad habit of putting things where they will be "easy" to find.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

HOLY COW!!! I found it in the first file I checked. "things of interest" file for future reference.
            Now to scan and post it with this POS Vista cpu
            My wife is trying to scan on her cpu and send it to mine. If it will not work then I can copy and send in the mail

Comment

The best way to fix a vent away toilet is to remove the entire vent away portion in the tank. (I have done this over 40 times) Do not remove the fill valve but do remove the small piece of linkage from the trip lever (push style). After yanking out the vent away guts, install a plastic 1 1/2 dollar plug. 99% of the people who own a vent away do not even know what it does or even know that this feature is incorporated into their toilet. By getting rid of this part that no one ever uses, you actually have a decent toilet and it's ten times easier to work on. Hey, the guys that American Standard trained years ago couldn't fix them.

Comment

and now with the venting guts out, you can change that $150.00 toilet seat that you couldn't do with the vent in there

toss it and save the money.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

That's $150.00 our cost!

Comment

it's been years since i ordered 1.

1 bolt could be done with the venting and the other was impossible to do.

the high end toto bidet seat/ washlet has a built in odor eliminator.

i just happen to own 1 that's already gift wrapped

just in time for the holidays

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X