Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restaurant plumbing question

Hello Plumbing experts,

First I would like to point out that I know absolutely nothing about plumbing and I do not know the proper plumbing terminologies so please bear with me. I would also like to thank you guys in advance for answering my questions.

My father owns a restaurant and he has been having plumbing problems starting approximately 4 weeks ago. I believe that the problem resides with the drainage to the grease trap. We initially attempted to fix the problem ourselves by purchasing the RIDGID K-380. We used all 75 feet to no avail. We subsequently hired 2 plumbers. One plumber used 125 feet of line and failed to reach the root of the problem. We suspect that the plumbing from our restaurant to the grease trip is close to 200 feet. Now we're considering using hydro-jet or chemical plumbing such as Hercules Cloroben or Hercules Clobber. Is there anything else we can try? I'm not sure what other information to give as I do not know much. If there is something that you guys need to know to answer the question I may be able to provide it.

Thanks you guys once again in advance for the help. I truly appreciate it.

- Chris

Re: Restaurant plumbing question

Originally posted by chsiaomd View Post
    Hello Plumbing experts,

First I would like to point out that I know absolutely nothing about plumbing and I do not know the proper plumbing terminologies so please bear with me. I would also like to thank you guys in advance for answering my questions.

My father owns a restaurant and he has been having plumbing problems starting approximately 4 weeks ago. I believe that the problem resides with the drainage to the grease trap. We initially attempted to fix the problem ourselves by purchasing the RIDGID K-380. We used all 75 feet to no avail. We subsequently hired 2 plumbers. One plumber used 125 feet of line and failed to reach the root of the problem. We suspect that the plumbing from our restaurant to the grease trip is close to 200 feet. Now we're considering using hydro-jet or chemical plumbing such as Hercules Cloroben or Hercules Clobber. Is there anything else we can try? I'm not sure what other information to give as I do not know much. If there is something that you guys need to know to answer the question I may be able to provide it.

Thanks you guys once again in advance for the help. I truly appreciate it.

- Chris
    You shouldn't suspect anything. Your grease trap, if installed correctly, should have a manhole, or access. Your two plumbers should have seen that. If not you either hired bad plumbers, or your grease trap is buried. If that is the case it has never been cleaned or maintained.

No easy answers here boys.
    the dog

Comment

Chris,

Do you know where your grease trap is? If your lines are full of grease you will need to hydro-jet as a cable just pokes holes but will not remove grease. Once you find your problem and take care of it make sure you watch the kitchen help a little better as grease should not go down the drain in the first place.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

locate your grease trap inlet and run your cable back into the building. You will almost certainly need to have it jetted as well. the trap itself probably also needs to be pumped.

Brent
        Brent

Comment

a camera can be useful, but probably not until the line is somewhat clean.

a jetter is the tool of choice on a grease chocked line. if you have a way of jetting from the grease interceptor back up to the building, that would be the best bet. if not just be prepared for a lot of greasy back wash to get rid of.

a knowledgeable plumber or drain cleaning person should be your first choice. make sure they own the proper equipment and don't sub it out.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by chsiaomd View Post
            Hello Plumbing experts,
            We suspect that the plumbing from our restaurant to the grease trip is close to 200 feet.
            - Chris
            OMG! 200 feet away?? What good is a grease trap at that distance? Wouldn't that put it accross the parking lot and down the street abit?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              OMG! 200 feet away?? What good is a grease trap at that distance? Wouldn't that put it accross the parking lot and down the street abit?
              That's what I was thinking, seems awfully far away. That grease will be all congealed and harden up in the line before it gets to the trap won't it?

My worst memory from apprenticeship was cleaning grease traps. After I puked on the first few it wasn't so bad but that's when I knew that anyone who chose to do this for a living couldn't be all there.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Remeber the purpose of the grease-trap is to protect the public sewer not the owner who is letting grease get down the drain. It would be dumb but maybe it is 200' away because that is the best place to access it to pump.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've installed about 30 to 40 1,200 to 1,500 gallon grease interceptors, and many have been 100 to 200 feet away from the building. Utah is correct that they are to prevent damage to public sewers. In Los Angles and Orange Counties (southern California) a sample box is required after grease trap, so that the output can be sampled and monitered.

But, they should have a manhole for access to clean it. If it is not cleaned, you will eventually dump grease into the public sewer.
                  the dog

Comment

Hey there just read your post, with a lot of commercial clients we recommend a hyrdoscrubing and then an auto-injection system which uses bio-choice es to help with the grease. The link below is some more information hope it helps ya out. Like the other guys said though clean it out first the old fashioned way then try the applications below.

http://www.mrrooter.com/services/hydro-scrub.aspx
                    http://www.mrrooter.com/services/biochoice.aspx
                    Last edited by ThePEIPlumber; 06-10-2007, 03:13 AM.

Comment

And if there aren"t manholes , there should be cleanouts on either side of the grease trap , one upstream , one downstream to help diagnose whether the blockage is before the trap , after the trap , or downstream from the interceptor.......you need a annual or bi-annual maintanence plan for your grerase interceptor

Comment

Working...
                      X