X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex as Supply Line

Can I use one inch PEX-AL-PEX as a supply line direct buried? It's for a pool pump room 225' from the meter. I planned on putting a copper 5 ft section to go through the pump room slab to avoid any potential chlorine exposure. Should I switch to copper before the cut off valve in the ground box by the meter? Thanks!

Re: Pex as Supply Line

The code on pex usually follows the manufacturers recommendations, at least in Chula Vista CA where I have installed. They wanted a soft fill around the pex(sand,fine dirt) and absolutely no direct sun light. I don't know about using it for a pool pump , due to the chemicals used.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/index.php?id=1000
    Last edited by Crappy days; 06-07-2007, 02:46 PM.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I would think the way you are installing it would be fine. Although I would check with the inspector, if you are having it inspected. As the inspectors in my area are still not all familiar with the product.

Comment

I got my terminology mixed up. I think I should have typed service line instead of supply line. Anyway, coming from a 1" copper line just past the meter to a shut-off valve outside the pool pump house. I want to use one inch PEX-AL-PEX direct buried hand dug to snake around existing landscaping and retaining walls. At the cut off valve, it would transfer to 1" copper thru the concrete slab to the pool equipment. My plumber wants to use only 1" copper but the price difference is 6k for 250 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by gacanuck View Post
          I got my terminology mixed up. I think I should have typed service line instead of supply line. Anyway, coming from a 1" copper line just past the meter to a shut-off valve outside the pool pump house. I want to use one inch PEX-AL-PEX direct buried hand dug to snake around existing landscaping and retaining walls. At the cut off valve, it would transfer to 1" copper thru the concrete slab to the pool equipment. My plumber wants to use only 1" copper but the price difference is 6k for 250 feet.
          i would get a different plumber

$6,000 difference for 250' of material and labor

the digging is a big cost factor. but the material cost is approx. $3.50' for type l copper. do the math. sure the labor to install copper is more than for pex, but 6k is crazy.

you could eaisly bury soft 1'' type l copper in 60' rolls and roll it out just like pex. solder a coupling at the 60' mark and continue.

truthfully i too would use pex if it was legal here

just pointing out that the price difference is way off line.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

6k difference is crazy at the very most even with a 300 percent mark up like some of the large shops do. The difference should be under 3 grand. If the plumbing contractor put pex in his bid then its a no brainier PEX PEX PEX. One thing I still do not understand, this line is it going to be used with the pool equipment to filter water. Or is it just a fresh water supply for the pool. AS long as the manufacturer says the installation complies with they're recommendations for use ,then use the pex.
            My father in law just installed about 600 feet to his home, about 5 to 8 foot deep( in Oklahoma). It went in great, has had no problems. The only thing he was worried about was finding the pipe 20 years later if there was a leak. He ran a tracer wire with it. In the back country where he is there are no uniform codes. He saved big bucks using pex over copper. Not to mention he did it himself.

Comment

Thanks everbody. The PEX is only for the fresh water line so the only chlorine in the water is the disolved in our water supply for the area. The pool water does not flow thru any PEX.
              Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X