Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro's & Con's of Shark Bite fittings?

does anyone else think that these are very ammature and take the need away for our trade. why call a plumber when you can slap together pipe no matter what you run accross even with water dripping out. i feel this is a lazy repair and we should all try to act like skilled tradesmen and solder. the only time i feel these are okay to use is the caps if you cant get the water to stop or ncant find the curb cock outside. and we wonder why home owners dont call as often anymore!!!!
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
      does anyone else think that these are very ammature and take the need away for our trade. why call a plumber when you can slap together pipe no matter what you run accross even with water dripping out. i feel this is a lazy repair and we should all try to act like skilled tradesmen and solder. the only time i feel these are okay to use is the caps if you cant get the water to stop or ncant find the curb cock outside. and we wonder why home owners dont call as often anymore!!!!

Great point. just like at the trade show this weekend, there were about 20 guys crowding the miracle tape booth, you know, the tape that is supposed to fix any crack or leak. I feel the best way is the old school way. I agree with apf, hard pipe, straight, clean, plum, thats why it's called plumbing, homes and buildings are places of investment, many of our retirement plans, especially here in cali, we should do our best to protect the investment. people should call us because of our commitment to workmanship and quality, not to shove on a fitting, if it's too easy, everone will be doing it and losing the whole meaning behind "Plumbing"
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Sharkbite fittings are made for diy people. So are the watts fittings that are similar.

I also use them for polybutylene (quest) repairs on mobile homes because I think its alittle better in that situation. Sure I have used a few here and there in a jam but I know where they are and they are under the house not in the house.

I dont like the way they let a pipe rotate around, I seen a shower valve installed with these

I havent tested this theory but I would imagine that if you put enough of them on a run the plastic insert would affect the pressure. You can take the insert out for everything except quest or pex wich needs an insert anyways.

Sure manufacturers want to make things easy but I think it could also be because of the lack of skilled plumbers around these days. Of course this has always been an issue.

Comment

Shark bites are like any other fittings when used smart they can benefit the Plumber. In tight places or when time is of the essence. I mainly use them as a transition fitting between copper and qest. They really aren't good for much else, as they can continue to move after installation. I have used them as caps quite often to. They are great for projects that are going to take a few days where water needs to be returned each day.
          Last edited by Crappy days; 06-13-2007, 10:05 PM.
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I only use them for quest to pex transition. Not bad though.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
              I have the literature that shows they are approved for non-accessible locations . My nerves won"t allow it. I still don"t like pex , wirsbo or Kitec either . I use them to keep competitive but I just am a metal pipe plumber . I prefer The coated black iron pipe for underground as opposed to the pex , but I use pex with the transition risers ....to be competitive . I am glad I can use pvc dwv for the first 3 stories of a bldg. though. I think plumbing softeners and water heaters with flex lines sucks . Nothing prettier than nicely soldered lines . Plumb , level , nicely strapped ....I'm starting to tingle
              out here in earthquake country you would be foolish to hard pipe a 30-50 gallon heater. the old code use to be if you hard piped the heater, you didn't need to strap the heater.

ever since the northridge quake of 93, all i've used are flex lines. back to copper flex lines as the stainless braided ones have had many bad issues and are still failing.

on larger 75- 100 gallon heaters, i still hard pipe them. a 1'' flex is expensive and forget about a 1.5'' or 2'' flex line. i just make sure that the heaters are bolted as good as it can be. we really havn't had any real quake here since northridge. i guess we'll find out the next time what works and what doesn't.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I plumbed in Vegas for 2 years , and straps were code then, too . Let me throw this out there rick . Any wtr. heater in a garage is on a platform . Many times there were not or are not pans provided for the framed platforms . I always install a pan..I have seen some really scary stuff when the wtr. htr. crashes through the platform because of a leak , and the only thing keeping things from being devastating was the hard plumbed lines . Seen the same thing happen with flex and it's a bad deal . I ran a buisiness for years in Tampa and we adhered to the Hurricane codes there . Same deal . Plumb in hard and brace for the storm .

Comment

Oddly enough Las Vegas does not call them Earthquake straps. They use the UMC which requires the anchorage of appliances to justify calling for the straps.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have had several calls on leaky SS flex lines for water heaters. There are several things that I have noticed each time. For one they are not full port/diameter. The next is the hot side deteriorates under high temperature. Last call I went on the womens bath tub would fill with black speckles in it. I also have had many calls on the home center copper flex. They are made without the extra 5 cent plastic washer or seat in them under the gasket. If they are over tightened by the slightest they tend to leak.
                    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I only use sharkbites when I have to. usually mobile homes.

I ran into a PB water service awhile ago I used one on.

I don't think they should be a "go to" fitting.
                      Brent

Comment

pros: easy to install and disconnect, can connect different pipes in any combination, certified for underground and concealed wall applications

cons: only rated for 200 PSI, still have to consult with local plumbing codes for specific applications

sharkbiteplumbing.com has an installation guide on the how it works tab.

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                          I have had several calls on leaky SS flex lines for water heaters. There are several things that I have noticed each time. For one they are not full port/diameter. The next is the hot side deteriorates under high temperature. Last call I went on the womens bath tub would fill with black speckles in it. I also have had many calls on the home center copper flex. They are made without the extra 5 cent plastic washer or seat in them under the gasket. If they are over tightened by the slightest they tend to leak.

I read the label on the some braided (Looked like nylon) water heater flexes this week end and it warned not to use in recirc line that would be over 115 degrees it may degrade the rubber inside.
                          Most people keep the water heater at 120 or higher making the flexes unusable for a hwh. But that is what they were sold as.
                          Last edited by EasyEman; 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Properly used can benefit plumbers? Benefit? How does hacking one of those things in "benefit" you in any way? What they do is allow you to get in and get out quick and these days that seems to be the mantra. For years we managed to do without these abortions. As for repairing poly B, or transitioning you can still buy poly couplings and rings and you can get pex to poly couplings also.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              For years we managed to do without these abortions. As for repairing poly B, or transitioning you can still buy poly couplings and rings and you can get pex to poly couplings also.
                              Well said sir

I agree as well , and many people STILL never use that stuff
                              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Upon further reflection it occurs to me that you'se guys are just trying to raise my blood pressure
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X