Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro's & Con's of Shark Bite fittings?

I have a failed SB on the Dash of my service Truck .... The PB con was Fine The pex con was Leaking :-(

Dave

Comment

i dont want to go into it.... i feel they are junk in it's purest form...

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
        i dont want to go into it.... i feel they are junk in it's purest form...
        Opinions are like a.....well you know the rest.

I have a dad that for years has built houses and done all electrical and plumbing. He always said the old way is the best way. That sounds wise but its really just fear driving him into the status quo.

It seems to me that people want a foolproof way of doing something and keeping it the same forever. For you plumbers out there that think sweating copper is "the" way, think about what your great grandfathers would say. They would probably think your "new" way is poop.

I think someday no one will use copper anymore for water pipes. The process requires hours of experience and hours of labor, and at a ridiculous cost, which is unethical to me. Just because technology now allows us to cut and snap doesn't mean it's "too good to be true". Its been proven overseas for years that it works well. America is always lagging behind in everything. And all because of the Republican mentality.

I proved my dad wrong many many times and he resented me for years. But now that he's in his 70s, he's more agreeable and liberal about things. I do believe that "rules" only work for the person who believes in them.

I use Sharkbite and PEX on all my plumbing. One thing that I do to create a safety net is to predict which way the pipes need to go to fail or fly apart. You can usually find a way to create a secure hold behind a fitting. Most of the stress lies on what holds the pipe, NOT the seal. So sticking a board behind a Sharkbite is a good way to "know" it wont fly apart. That's still cheap and easy for the DIY without firing up a torch. And if the pex fasteners arent enough, i'll sometimes even use a roll of tape to wrap around areas of the pex to secure it to something. Heck, common sense is all it takes to predict the future.

Comment

Yea! duct tape the fitting, that will hold it!

Comment

Bill,

Consider the source, he is a student.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Yea! duct tape the fitting, that will hold it!
              But it really works. Just look at the mythbusters where they used duct tape instead of PVC cement for a potato cannon.

I don't figure out how it is unethical to use a fitting that is literally 1/5 of the cost (copper sweat) vs. a sharkbite.

Comment

As a long time repair plumber, I can say that all pipe and plumbing fittings fail sooner or later.

I wouldn't use sharkbites to do an entire house because of the cost, but for capping or repairs, I don't see the harm. There's a lot worst stuff out there. New methods and materials will make the job easier--maybe--but the majority of homeowners will never do their own plumbing.

The industry is changing, just like everything else. I've always felt that plumbers are a luxury, not an entitlement and my customers are smart enough to do plumbing, but rich enough to hire this ugly mug to do it.

The DIYer has never been my customer and never will be. By the way, I built a computer in 5 hours including 2 trips to the store. Not bad, huh?
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite.php

DIY, oh yeah.

Comment

I had one fail on me the other day, been installed for about a year and popped right off, Its on a hose bib in a tight but exposed location, went from pex to copper! If it wasnt my parent house it could have cost me a bundle, no I dont like them and No i will no longer use them for anything other than a temporary cap

Comment

sharkbites are ok. i use them everynow and then to get me out of a jam. around the city i live we have places that water eats the copper pipe. it's nice to cut right on the pin hole and slide a shark bite repair coupling on and not flood the house and only cut the water off for a few minutes. but i also agree with some of the other guy's... if i can solder it and do a nice clean repair, i preffer that everytime. now that i think of it... sharkbites make you lazy. to hell with them!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                        sharkbites are ok. i use them everynow and then to get me out of a jam. around the city i live we have places that water eats the copper pipe. it's nice to cut right on the pin hole and slide a shark bite repair coupling on and not flood the house and only cut the water off for a few minutes. but i also agree with some of the other guy's... if i can solder it and do a nice clean repair, i preffer that everytime. now that i think of it... sharkbites make you lazy. to hell with them!!!!!
                        well for the cost of about 200 Sharkbite fittings you can do the same job with a ProPress, and BTW i would feel a whole lot comfortable with that!

Comment

Used one, one time to transition to copper under a kitchen sink. It popped off 2 hours after I left the job. Flooded the daylights out of a kitchen, and finished basement. Cost me $800.00 to cover my bosses deductible. Sent it in to them, they said nothing is wrong with it. BS, like I left the house with water spewing full pipe into the kitchen sink base cabinet. NEVER AGAIN.

Sharkbite=HACKBITE

Act like the professional you are supposed to be. Man up and get your torch out.

Comment

there is still no skill in propress or sharkbite. i agree with everyone else... get your torch out. if soldering is not an option ...go with compression

Comment

compression? i dont think so, how can you group compression and sharkbite with propress? I can teach a monkey to solder just like i can teach a monkey to propress, no there is no skill but there are specialized tools and procedures that are required for each, just because something is easy to do doesnt mean that a plumber shouldnt do it. Ever glue up plastic pipe? what skill is in that it, this discussion isnt about skill but realiability

Comment

I noticed that two people had a problem with a SB fitting "popping out" on a PEX-to-copper coupling. So, was it the copper, or the PEX, that popped out?

Comment

Working...
                                X