Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro's & Con's of Shark Bite fittings?

Originally posted by Artie View Post
    I noticed that two people had a problem with a SB fitting "popping out" on a PEX-to-copper coupling. So, was it the copper, or the PEX, that popped out?
    The PEX

Comment

could it have been the pex stiffner was removed or missing?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hello Friends....

I think they are great , especially in tight areas. I use them mostly on qest repairs as they do not strain the qest like crimp fittings can. The only down side is. They are sold at Dixie line so once a customer sees you install, they can do it themselves next time.
        Thanks
        GreatForum

Comment

Originally posted by arren View Post
          The only down side is. They are sold at Dixie line so once a customer sees you install, they can do it themselves next time.
          It doesn't matter what is installed. When a Pro installs a fitting, device, or a system, a Pro always makes it look easy. The same as if a Pro sweats a fitting, He or she will make it will LOOK easy. I have had a lot of repair calls that people tried to replace or repair irrigation fittings and found out that they were way over their head.

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I had a home owner that called me one year to power rod her kitchen sink. About 3 years latter she calls me to power rod it again. While power rodding her drain, she proceeded to tell me it clogged up last year. And that I made it look so easy she rented a rodder to clear her own drain. As she was rodding the line the cable wrapped around her hand and glove, her natural reaction was to pull her hand away. Her hand came out of the glove but it tore of a few of her fingers which were still in the glove. As she told this to me she took of her driving gloves she was wearing to show me the missing fingers. She told me she will leave this kind of work to us pro's from now on.
          Mick

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            could it have been the pex stiffner was removed or missing?

rick.
            No rick it was in there the kicker is the line wasnt used much, but for what it is worth this was before i replaced the waterlogged expansion tank and faulty prv, maybe the pressure in teh line built up enough to blow it apart but still we will have to see...i have a few more out there i am keeping my eyes on

Comment

Sharkbites replace a plumber real easy now...

Tape the audio at a plumbing supply house when a non-plumber comes in to buy water piping or need a valve replaced.

"No more soldering"

"You can do it yourself"

"No torch needed"

"Here buy this"
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I like them. I've only used a handful but they were very much appreciated when I was under a house with barely accessible pipe.
                The GIANT majority of people aren't going to do their own plumbing anyway, (except farmers).
                I think the main difference (but not the only one of course) between us and the unlicensed plumber is responsibility. We are licensed, bonded and insured. We will stand behind our work even if it is a shark bite we choose to use.
                The unlicensed, uninsured plumber is by definition irresponsible. If you use him you deserve whatever happens.
                I have uninsured motorist insurance. I wonder if they sell uninsured plumber insurance?
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the info provided here. I'm a DIY homeowner thats facing the problem of trying to replace the nasty old galvanized steel piping that lies under a slab on an early `60's home. Economic times, being what they are, I just can't afford the possible thousands to hire a plumber.

What I'm attempting, is to take two PEX lines, (hot and cold), from the utility/laundry room, (where the water enters the house and water heater is located), and run up into the attic, across the carport, and down into the kitchen, under the sink. Both ends will be easily accessible on a daily basis.

Sharkbites seem like the way to go in this application.

Comment

well it finally happened today. i had a call back on a sharkbite fitting. i used one while i was replacing a shower valve, i used it way back in the wall where it would be risky to solder. she called because she could hear waterbut couldn't see it .(slab house) i took the repair plate off and could see the top of the s b leaking into the gravel where the tub box was. i used a broken 1/2 inch j hook and pulled it off.

i used a mini torch turned way down and soldered a coupling in. should have just done that in the first place. lesson learned. took all the shark bites outta my truck when i got back to the shop. i don't even want to be tempted again.

Comment

Working...
                    X