Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's & Con's of Shark Bite fittings?

Have any of you used them??
    "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Re: Pro's & Con's of Shark Bite fittings?

this has come up on a few occassions.

i give it 3 thumbs up.

cons, a little pricey.

pros, a poor mans propress. can work on copper, cpvc, pex. even on wet connections.

i've used them for the past few years as needed

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I think they are great , especially in tight areas. I use them mostly on qest repairs as they do not strain the qest like crimp fittings can. The only down side is. They are sold at Dixie line so once a customer sees you install, they can do it themselves next time.
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Keep in mind the Shark-Bite fittings are only listed for copper, PEX and CPVC. They are not listed for PEX-AL-PEX or Polybutylene.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Many of the plumbers here that I talk with have used them with qest. So far I have not heard of any problems. I never warranty qest repairs, as the pipe is bound to leak again anyway. I have another waiver notifying the home owner of the recall. I have probably done over 50 repairs this way and have not had a problem yet. Not to mention at the parts store they recommend it for qest repairs over the crimp fittings. But it is good to know as I did not know this.

Comment

Look even Bob Vila is using them for qest. Or as they say qwest.
            http://www.bobvila.com/BBS/Qest_pipe...g-1-T5636.html

Comment

Maybe it's the NewEnglandah in me but, How else would you pronounce Qest?

AYAH
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Shark bites will get you out of a jam but I would not use them where there is no access after the repair . ie. behind repaired / replaced wallboard

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                  Shark bites will get you out of a jam but I would not use them where there is no access after the repair . ie. behind repaired / replaced wallboard

i second that. any one i've ever used is located in an area that water damage will not hurt. i also date the fitting to know how long it's been there and how well it has performed in the real world.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I do not know what the big stink is about shark bite fittings is, as they have been around for over 10 years ,over seas . They carry plenty of certifications. They are made to be installed in walls and covered. I have not used them in this way. Although even if you do, the manufacturer Carry's the liability as long as they were installed up to code. The manufacturer has distributed them for about twelve years in Australia. They make them to be used with pex water supply and radiant heating systems.
                    Last edited by Crappy days; 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I have the literature that shows they are approved for non-accessible locations . My nerves won"t allow it. I still don"t like pex , wirsbo or Kitec either . I use them to keep competitive but I just am a metal pipe plumber . I prefer The coated black iron pipe for underground as opposed to the pex , but I use pex with the transition risers ....to be competitive . I am glad I can use pvc dwv for the first 3 stories of a bldg. though. I think plumbing softeners and water heaters with flex lines sucks . Nothing prettier than nicely soldered lines . Plumb , level , nicely strapped ....I'm starting to tingle

Comment

Are you talking about water supply or gas. I do not know anyone who uses pex for gas or coated black iron for water. Do you mean the yellow poly with transitions.

Comment

I was speaking of gas

Comment

I reread and seen I should have said poly for gas , sometimes I lump all the plastics together ,my mistake

Comment

Shark-Bites are also approved to be used underground which seems a little odd but it tells you they are well built.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X