Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gah

Hi,

I am looking at a job that requires installation of 3/4" and 1" Stainless Steel Sch. 40 Conduit. Will my Ridgid 700 hand held unit equiped with dies for stainless steel work O.K. for this small job.

Thanks for your help

Re: gah

I work only in stainless, and my experience is, that a Ridgid tool that's rated for stainless will do just fine. Just check the thickness of the material, as well as the diameter! A bigger issue is perhaps "finishing" the job, and avoiding discolouration, and staining, thereby also corrosion. Start anyway by giving your tools a very thorough clean up, Power tools must be blown through with compressed air, and then vacuumed. It's ordinary steel/iron dust and particles on the stainless that actually rust, but they start some destructive and corrosive processes atthe same time.

Comment

Originally posted by gahickey View Post
      Hi,

I am looking at a job that requires installation of 3/4" and 1" Stainless Steel Sch. 40 Conduit. Will my Ridgid 700 hand held unit equiped with dies for stainless steel work O.K. for this small job.

Thanks for your help
      You better get stainless steel dies, or you are screwed.
      the dog

Comment

there is also a oil formulated for threading stainless. use that also.

hate to think of the cost of that conduit.

is this a government job?

as an electrician you are not suppose to use a tubing/ pipe cutter. a band saw/portaband works great for stainless.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X