X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet issue

Basement toilet, lowest "drain' in the house aside from the basement shower that is right next to it. All drains in the house work very, very well but this toilet.

It will exchange the water, and even take down the turds on most occassions. But the tittue paper always remains unless I plunge. I've tried different toilet paper, still no go. If some one has the runs, that too remains after flushing.

This house is 35 years old, the last owner, my now inlaws, had a tree that was encroaching on the main sewer line in the front yard. They had the tree removed many years ago, but there is also a bush that has grown large and is about a foot away from the cleanout.

Most of the neighbors on the street have alreay had the main line from the sewer to the house replaced. I am thinking, roots have gotten in and since this is the lowest drain with the heaviest material to move, the suction is not there to bring the paper & light feces down. Thoughts?

Re: Toilet issue

Don't confuse a main line root stoppage with a poor flushing toilet.
    Has it ever backed up and overflowed?
    Does the water just kinda swirl around and not clear the bowl?
    Why did everyone have their sewer lines replaced?...Orangeburg pipe?

Comment

I agree with Plumbers Crack. Is there waste coming up in the shower after you flush. If not then it sounds more like a toilet problem. Check the water level. Make sure the flapper and fill valve are adjusted right. Look for mineral deposits. If you need to acid bath the toilet. You can buy muriatic acid from the supply house( home depot , Lowe's).
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
        I agree with Plumbers Crack. Is there waste coming up in the shower after you flush. If not then it sounds more like a toilet problem. Check the water level. Make sure the flapper and fill valve are adjusted right. Look for mineral deposits. If you need to acid bath the toilet. You can buy muriatic acid from the supply house( home depot , Lowe's).

well we do agree on somethings

if the toilet is old, original, it's time for a good cleaning of the rim jets and the wash down jet if there is one.

watch the acid treatment as you can easily etch the china and never get it to stay clean.

use a mirror and a wire, coat hanger to clean the rim jets. also if there is a main wash down jet check it for good flow. it's easy to plunge the bowl dry and then observe the jet when you first flush it.

don't waste too much effort on this toilet as a new toilet will cure your problems. see how a bucket flush acts

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          well we do agree on somethings

if the toilet is old, original, it's time for a good cleaning of the rim jets and the wash down jet if there is one.

watch the acid treatment as you can easily etch the china and never get it to stay clean.

use a mirror and a wire, coat hanger to clean the rim jets. also if there is a main wash down jet check it for good flow. it's easy to plunge the bowl dry and then observe the jet when you first flush it.

don't waste too much effort on this toilet as a new toilet will cure your problems. see how a bucket flush acts

rick.

I'll just quote you...

No, the toilet rarely if ever over flows, though it has happened, I do have young kids...

The water clears well, changes over, but the paper & any hershey squirts stay, I have to plunge them down. The jets are flowing well, one reason I was hessitant to replace the toilet, though I have done a complete over-haul, including a thorough cleaning of the rim, still no luck.

No waist coming into the shower, at least not from the toilet. There were a few occasions it backed up in the shower, but from the kitchen sink in the basement. This is what leads me to beleive perhaps roots are at cause. A little Liquid plumber fixed the issues when they did arise. Sorry, I forgot to add that in my original post.

Don't confuse a main line root stoppage with a poor flushing toilet.
          Has it ever backed up and overflowed?
          Does the water just kinda swirl around and not clear the bowl?
          Why did everyone have their sewer lines replaced?...Orangeburg pipe?
          Why did the other neighbors have thier main lines replaced?

Well, the development is over 40 years old. The architec, as they so often do, went with putting Dogwood trees right on the same corner of the front yard in every house as the main line. Over the years, the trees roots broke into the cast iron pipes. There are rouhgly 100 houes on my street, I would say a good 35 -45 have replced the pipe.

The toilet looks great, especially for being 20 years old. It wasn't until the past year, this issue started happening. Again, the water changes over, the only time it backs up is when my young son, uses too much TP.

Comment

I would change the toilet. From what you are saying it sounds like the toilet needs to be changed out. I would install a Toto Gmax or Kohler class five flushing toilet.
            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I would take toilet off floor, and see if you have any roots comming up beside toilet outlet pipe,and then back down into toilet pipe. Causing your poor flushing problem. Also while you have toilet pull up, lay it on it's side, and look to see it any thing might be in toilet, from bottom side of bowl. Replace with new wax ring and new bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
                I would take toilet off floor, and see if you have any roots comming up beside toilet outlet pipe,and then back down into toilet pipe. Causing your poor flushing problem. Also while you have toilet pull up, lay it on it's side, and look to see it any thing might be in toilet, from bottom side of bowl. Replace with new wax ring and new bolts.
                Not sure if I understand; how does taking off the toilet reveal roots in the line? Is laying a toilet on its side a good idea when the tank is still attatched? Won't the toilet crack? How are you going to see in the toilet's trap.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Some times roots will come up through the concrete floor, and then grow back down into the sewer drain pipe. slowing the flushing. When you pull the toilet carefully lay the toilet on it's side then you should be able to look into bottom of toilet drain for Q tips or other items drop down toilet. I making the assumption you would know to turn off the water before trying this, and removing water from the toilet tank. Put carpet or pad down on floor if it would make you feel better,

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
                    Some times roots will come up through the concrete floor, and then grow back down into the sewer drain pipe. slowing the flushing. When you pull the toilet carefully lay the toilet on it's side then you should be able to look into bottom of toilet drain for Q tips or other items drop down toilet. I making the assumption you would know to turn off the water before trying this, and removing water from the toilet tank. Put carpet or pad down on floor if it would make you feel better,

Not likely here, in this case. The bathroom in question is on the back side of the house, the tree or bush in this case, is on the front. The roots would have to go over 60 feet, then under the foundation.

I may take a small vid cam I have, attach it to a snake and stick it all inside the clean out near the bush, jst for peace of mind.

The more we chat and I think about it, the more I tend to agree, the toilet, 20 years or so old, needs replacing. Had I thought about it two weeks ago, I would have changed it out with the up stairs one for a test. Re-did the floor in that bath room, should have just carried the toilet from there down stairs to check...

Thanks for your help...

Comment

Originally posted by grumpynik View Post
                      I may take a small vid cam I have, attach it to a snake and stick it all inside the clean out near the bush, jst for peace of mind.
                      LOL! a homemade See Snake I love it!!

Nik you're wierd but I like that about you

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        LOL! a homemade See Snake I love it!!

Nik you're wierd but I like that about you
                        Yes, I whole heartedly admit being weird, my kids will agree...

The way I figure it, I don't do many drains any more, so no need to buy the Sea Snake, though the worker in me does want one...

Comment

Working...
                        X