X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viega pureflow pex

Hey guys, forgive my ignorance on more than one aspect of this.. the whole internet plumbing thing and the pex stuff...
    My question is ... can I use any pex crimp fittings with the viega pureflow hand crimpers as long as I use the viega sleeves? and is there a different pex pipe for gas (propane) than potable water? basically any information on these issues will help. thanks!

Re: viega pureflow pex

Tatum , what part of OK.are you in . I don"t use the viega system so I can offer no advice ............................pex is for water , poly is for gas / propane .

Comment

All the PEX pipes are the same size because of the Standard they are built under. Fittings and bands are usually inter-changeable but it limits the system waranty to just a pipe warranty.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for your input. I'm down between Ada and McAlester, kinda south central Okla, not much civilization out here.
        I'm very familar with Poly pipe we use in utilities like Poly gas pipe 4" and up, fused together and some fittings used with these types.
        I'm also way too familiar with poly water service lines from the mains to the meters and 1" and up there. I do know there is a difference between gas poly and water poly.. the only difference being NSF stamped water poly is made with virgin resins and Gas poly is not. Each type can be purchased in CTS sizes and IPS to but I am new to the PEX stuff. I have contacts with some poly pipe manufacturers but don't know any reps with anyone who makes PEX. We mostly use compression type fittings on Water services but they are pricey, averaging probbly 15 bucks a shot ... not something I would want to put in as a plumbing system where you have more than a couple connections. Is PEX sized IPS or CTS sizes? Can you use compression type fittings on PEX without the Barb style fitting? (hope that question wasn't too confusing!) most everything above 2" gets a fused joint, 2" and down gets either an MJ connection or some other style compression fitting. didn't know if PEX worked like that or not...???? anyway... Thanks again! Maybe someone who has some expiriance with the Viega stuff will resond.

Comment

Originally posted by S. tatum View Post
          Hey guys, thanks for your input. I'm down between Ada and McAlester, kinda south central Okla, not much civilization out here.
          I'm very familar with Poly pipe we use in utilities like Poly gas pipe 4" and up, fused together and some fittings used with these types.
          I'm also way too familiar with poly water service lines from the mains to the meters and 1" and up there. I do know there is a difference between gas poly and water poly.. the only difference being NSF stamped water poly is made with virgin resins and Gas poly is not. Each type can be purchased in CTS sizes and IPS to but I am new to the PEX stuff. I have contacts with some poly pipe manufacturers but don't know any reps with anyone who makes PEX. We mostly use compression type fittings on Water services but they are pricey, averaging probbly 15 bucks a shot ... not something I would want to put in as a plumbing system where you have more than a couple connections. Is PEX sized IPS or CTS sizes? Can you use compression type fittings on PEX without the Barb style fitting? (hope that question wasn't too confusing!) most everything above 2" gets a fused joint, 2" and down gets either an MJ connection or some other style compression fitting. didn't know if PEX worked like that or not...???? anyway... Thanks again! Maybe someone who has some expiriance with the Viega stuff will resond.
          All PEX is built under ASTM F877 which means it is ALL the same size from one manufacturer to the other. PEX is nominal tubing so 1/2" PEX would have an internal dimension of .475 with a wall thickness of .075 for a total outside dimension of .625.

All of the Viega fittings are crimped (barbed) offered in both Poly and Brass. The only fitting which I can think of with a compression is the K1 used with PEX-AL-PEX tubing. Those fittings will not fit PEX tubing. Cash Acme makes a Shark-Bite fitting which is listed for PEX and is compression but you may have warranty issues if used with some of the PEX manufacturers.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Well , what will your application be for the pex . There is a Locke supply in McAlester .Flair it makes compressionfittings from 3/8" to 3/4' , and they can be used as transition fittings to copper , pb , and cpvc .You have stainless steel clamps , black copper crimp rings [up to 1" ],and pex clamps. Some of these are up to 1" . And all the ips adapters [ pex to ips ].I hadn"t heard of the Viega fitting until I seen your thread and researched it. Sure would be nice to have less types of pex , poly , so you didn't need all the diff . types of tools and crimpers.On a lighter note , hope you got in some good crappie fishing on Eufala this past spring , wife and I got in some good fishing . I'm in Ada , but will be moving to Norman on the 14th. of July to open buss. in OKC . Holler anytime .Joe

Comment

Working...
            X