Camera pool return lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera pool return lines

Hey guys , a friend of mine thinks he has a leak on one of his return lines on his in-ground pool . I haven't seen it myself .He thinks they are 1-1/2" lines . He said his pool co. would charge 600. to camera the line and look for cracks/breaks . I told him I would give it a shot . I have the rigid b/w compact seesnake . Are there check valves on these lines at some point . I've changed filters and pumps and repaired leaks but have never plumbed -in the supply , retuns or skimmers . Any suggestions are appreciated . The cali . guys here should be up on in-ground pools .Thanks

Re: Camera pool return lines

Actually it's a totally different trade out here but we know a few things.

Comment

I do not think you will get very far with your camera unit. If they plumbed the fittings with pressure fitting, as they should have you won't go any further than the fisrt fitting. even in two inch pipe, the fitting are to sharp of turn.

Comment

You're right Freddy , that will be too tight with pressure fittings . Maybe I'll get a break since a lot of this area was plumbed with-out the benefit of an inspector

Comment

Has your friend pressure tested to see if they leak down

Comment

Any check valves you have will be above ground but as mentioned the fittings will be pressure fittings which your camera will not go through. If I were doing the job I would pressure test the system to verify a leak and then go from there. If you have a good leak detector you should be able to locate the pipe then find the leak by putting some water under pressure in the pipe.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I also have a leak in my pool but it has stopped leaking by itself. The water would drop about an inch or 2 per hour only when the pool pump was running.
              I tried turning off (pumped water) 1 line at a time never made any difference. So I was thinking it was a return line because of that but when I closed the return line one at a time it did not matter either. It then stopped leaking on its own. It has not lost any water in 3 or 4 months. Im confused.

Comment

All right , I can pressure test it , that sounds good . What kind of fitting am I going to find inside the pool on the return inlet . Do you test the line by inserting an expansion plug / ball in the inlet side then make a test rig and hydrostatic test near the pump .I haven't bein in the pump house , not sure if I'll see one return line or a manifold .

Comment

i've run cameras into water lines and even a 1.5'' coi pond line almost 200'. as long as the fittings are 45 degree, your ok. a 90 is no good. as far as looking for the leak, you need to look for pitting and around the joints.

as far as pressure testing, i wouldn't go past 30#. this is typically the pressure of a dirty filter. a good set of expansion plugs will work. you can also check with the pool company to see if they have the proper plugs or actually can locate the leak. typically in the return line to the pump.

also the skimmer is a good bet that it's the problem. even the electrical conduit to the light is often the cause.

you might want a pool person to do the test and then you can help your friend to fix it.

rick.
                  Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-19-2007, 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You're probably right ,rick .I'll see what the lay-out looks like .I ll let you know later . Thanks guys

Comment

Alrighty , the see snake wouldn't pass 1-1/2' pressure 90's . There are three return lines .Straight shot with one to the pump house [11"] . There is a questionable crack on a spigot end about 4' in. The second return I hit a 90 after a few feet , everything good to that point . The third return I was able to get 11' in before hitting a 90. This elbow has dimples [fairly deep ] which I haven"t seen before in PVC. It looks like pitting but as I said , larger more like dimples . One is very deep and could be a hole but it is on side wall and I have just one angle . Has anyone seen this occur . I also tried to camera the skimmer , straight shot down and then hit a 90 . Evidently the pool co. I mentioned did pressure test the skimmer /suction and returns to determine it is a return leak .Because of the way it is plumbed I can't isolate two of the return lines coming into the pump room seperately , they are tied in to a tee right on top of the pour . It"s all under cement from pool to pump house . You can pin-point what corner the lines are coming in at , pretty close anyway. I told him I will locate the sonde position tommorow , and he wants to make exploratory holes to check for moisture .

Comment

If the leak is on the suction/return side won't it suck air into the line You might be able to hear it

Clearly I know nothing about pool piping
                        Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-19-2007, 03:57 PM.

Comment

You know , it's pumping really smooth , no air , no noises ...........my friend has told me they replumbed part of the system before he bought the home . What I did see which was odd [as far as I can see ] was that there are tees in the return lines , are these for suction while the pool skimmer is vacuuming ]. I clearly have 3 returns in the pool wall and three returns at the pump , what are the tees purpose .I don't have a leak detector yet , possibly if I had one I could bump up the lines and give a listen , but.......

Comment

One of those returns should come from the drain at the bottom right?

Comment

Isnt that the suction line , to the filter and then returning to pool just under the water line via return lines ?

Comment

Working...
                              X