Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use Teflon tape correctly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to use Teflon tape correctly?

    I just have a quick question....
    I know the proper direction to wrap Teflon tape. I really don't know how many times/wraps of Teflon tape is correct.

    I have seen where you wrap the threads with 4 wraps/revolutions of Teflon tape. I have seen where you do more and where you do less.

    I also know not to wrap Teflon tape beyond the first thread to ensure Teflon debris does not contaminate the connection. I typically wrap from the second thread.

    So, what do the pros say? what are the correct rules of wrapping Teflon tape around pipe threads?

    As with many products I'm sure all Teflon tape are not the same. What is the best stuff out there?

    I have been using the Harbor Freight brand where you get ten or twenty rolls for almost nothing.

    How come Teflon tape does not come with instructions?

    Cactus Man

  • #2
    Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

    Originally posted by cactusman View Post
    I just have a quick question....
    I know the proper direction to wrap Teflon tape. I really don't know how many times/wraps of Teflon tape is correct.

    I have seen where you wrap the threads with 4 wraps/revolutions of Teflon tape. I have seen where you do more and where you do less.

    I also know not to wrap Teflon tape beyond the first thread to ensure Teflon debris does not contaminate the connection. I typically wrap from the second thread.

    So, what do the pros say? what are the correct rules of wrapping Teflon tape around pipe threads?

    As with many products I'm sure all Teflon tape are not the same. What is the best stuff out there?

    I have been using the Harbor Freight brand where you get ten or twenty rolls for almost nothing.

    How come Teflon tape does not come with instructions?

    Cactus Man

    this is for all DIY-ERS
    http://video.about.com/homerepair/Re...Showerhead.htm
    sigpic

    Robert

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

      Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      Aww Man,now I gotta get me some scissors.Does Ridgid make a pair.
      I love watching people use tape with the spool upside down,Ask someone to wrap a case of 1.5 nipples using her technique.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

        I'm sorry cactusman,You asked a question.I usually go three to four sometimes five depending on variables.Then (set) the teflon by squeezing with thumb and forefinger while rotating the pipe clockwise,to get the tape deep in the valley of the threads.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

          well i just had a long winded post and joey knocked me off and i lost it.

          basically teflon is a product of dupont. it comes in different mil thicknesses and different widths. 1/2'' being the most popular, 3/4'' and 1'' typically used too on larger piping.

          the basic color is white and yellow is typically used on gas. makes no difference as it's just a thicker mil and color coded yellow.

          4-6 wraps are great. just don't back off a tightened fitting or you will probably leak. don't overlap the end of the pipe, especially on gas.

          don't allow the tape to fray, especially on the cheap stuff.

          well the rest is in the toilet now, thanks mrs. seat down

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

            Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            Wow that was horrible!
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

              Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              gee whiz, I wish I had and could weild a chrome plating antiquing pliers as proficiently as her.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                As with many products I'm sure all Teflon tape are not the same. What is the best stuff out there?
                Otey makes a great tape. It's pink and thick, but it aint cheap. Worth every dime, though.

                I have been using the Harbor Freight brand where you get ten or twenty rolls for almost nothing.
                That's about all the stuff's worth.
                America:
                The land of the free
                Because of the brave

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                  Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  I counted no less than 10 things she did wrong in that 90 second video

                  Why did the NEW showerhead have channelock marks all over it?

                  Ami is hot! hot! hot!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                    How low is that shower head anyway? Must have to sit down to wash your hair.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                      where can you watch a female in the shower and doing plumbing

                      i like that the pliers were the wrong way to take the old head off and how easy it was to come off.
                      and she only wrapped it 1 1/2 times to.

                      and I'm 6'4" so i would have to take a shower on my knees
                      Charlie

                      My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                      http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                      new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                        Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        How low is that shower head anyway? Must have to sit down to wash your hair.
                        was she standing on a piece of plywood across the tub

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                          You see guy, this is my point with flat rate. The male customer gets eye candy to look at, and knows what this will cost him before the job is started. Makes no difference if it takes her all day!!!! Same great price.
                          Now she has the customer attention, she can add on the price ticket raising the shower arm up. $$$$ And they thought all they needed was a new shower head.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                            Of course she can take all day,when she charges $285.00 to change a shower head.

                            Thank you for making my point for me again

                            Why do you guys keep bringing up the shower head,I know Hawk and Josh need one coming out of the ceiling but that one isn't that bad.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: How to use Teflon tape correctly?

                              Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

                              Why do you guys keep bringing up the shower head,I know Hawk and Josh need one coming out of the ceiling but that one isn't that bad.
                              I see your point. She looks to be about 5'2" so I am guessing that shower head is set at about 4'10" then take away 4" for the shower arm and it is perfect for Billy Barty sized people.

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X