Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tankless water heater

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    Oddly enough I sat through a Rinnai seminar the other day and the Rennai Rep spent most of the time explaining the down side of tankless heaters. The 30% saving on my gas bill would take a really long time to recoup the cost of the tankless. Then add in that I have a circulating system and the savings drop to 15%. If I was building a new home I would likely go tankless but not as a replacement.

Mark
    mark, 30% sounds way too high. even at 30% that would only pan out to $4.50 a month for me. at approx. a $1500- 2500 additional cost for the heater and additional work, i don't think any of us would live long enough to recoup the money. not to mention the additional maintenance cost to keep the heat exchanger clean.

i like the fact of endless hot water, but i haven't a need for it. also endless is typically maxed out at 8 gallons per minute and that's with a 40 degree rise. in the cold country, it falls way off.

mark is it just us old timers (you, i, and steve) that see the light

i agree that a tankless has it's place under certain circumstances, but it doesn't apply for 99% of my customers and myself.

glad we can spot the snake oil salesmen. like one salesman told me. it's for the "tree huggers"

rick.

well i guess i was posting while the decision has been made. another satisfied customer
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-10-2007, 02:36 AM. Reason: last line
    phoebe it is

Comment

I use these Zetco valves for tankless installation.

Valve has nut and tail, available for flared or threaded connection.

http://www.zetco.com.au/content/view/75/59/

http://www.zetco.com.au/content/view/73/59/

Makes things simple for me.

Im unsure whether they can be used in north america.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
        Thank you everybody for your input. My decision has been made. Stick to the old style (but change over to gas).
        Lost another one

When you "old timers" wake up to the 21st. century let me know

Comment

Rick,

The 30% savings were Rinnai's numbers not mine. I think the savings will be different for everyone depending on their demand. The sad part was one of the plumbers left the seminar pissed off because he said he had attend to be sold on tankless not discouraged. The Rep simply replied they have to make too many service calls where they have to explain why the tankless was not living up to the plumber's promise.

I am sure I will go tankless someday but it will not be because it saves money.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Lost another one

When you "old timers" wake up to the 21st. century let me know
            crack, if anyone invest in new technology, it's me.

i owned a seesnake prior to ridgid, trenchless, t-drills, pipe freezing, propress, ect, ect, ect.

but if i'm going to invest in new products, they have to show positive results.

all the tankless proves to me is it cost more to buy and operate.

i've repaired/ reworked more tankless installations in the last few years, than 30 years of tank heaters.

even bought a tankless for my own home. it's still sitting in the box waiting for my 18 year old faithful tank heater to pass

someday the old timers can show the youngsters a thing or two

show me the numbers between a tank installation and a tankless. show me the savings

looks too much like a domestic solar system payback.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I've done a lil' over half dozen in the past year and inquiries have gotten more frequent with time.
              I find there are major differences in different models.
              One in particular, the Bosch, I don't recommend (sold cheap at Lowes...purchased by customer prior to calling me) it shifts wildly in temp for a good minute after turning it on.
              The math is simple...tank types are 60-65% efficient, tankless are 80%+ when on, BUT 4 times the BTU to heat the water quickly enough. (relative math...uses the same energy per gallon of water, but 20% more efficient)
              IF you get a request for a cheaper single bath model...shy away...they have serious flow restriction...designed to slow water flow when demand exeeds it's ability to heat to the set temperature.
              One BIG note, I'm hearing heavy mineral/hard water can be torture on the exchangers, some of the warranties make a note in fine print that the warranty can be void in higher concentrations in the water supply.

Comment

Working...
              X