Dishwasher drain options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher drain options

What would be your preferred way to drain the dishwasher in a setup with a 2 bowl sink and garbage disposal:

1) would you run it direct into a tailpiece with a D/W port (pre P-trap of course)

or

2) run it into the D/M input port on the disposal? (then out to the P-trap)

Advantages to either? My gut tells me there's no reason to send the waste water through the disposal when a more direct route is available. Thoughts?

Re: Dishwasher drain options

running it into a disposal is the only way i've done thousands.

a wye branch tailpiece i don't believe is a legal way to drain it. we've always had disposals.

rick.

don't forget that airgap
    phoebe it is

Comment

If your installing a disposal, use that to drain your dishwasher into, Why would you want another possible joint for a leak. however you could do it either way.

Comment

Rick,

He is under the IPC so he does not need an air gap. In addition a branch tailpiece would be legal but the connection at the disposal would be a better location.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Should the dishwasher drain hose, before it is attached to the disposer, be "looped" as high up as the underside of the kitchen counter to prevent water running back into the dishwasher?
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Yes, loop it up under the sink to keep water from draining back into dishwasher.

Comment

To the disposal it is then. Thanks all.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find a pic/diagram of what a proper drein setup should look like involving the following items:

2 bowl sink
                garbage disposal
                dishwasher

Without the disposal I am totally clear, and with the disposal alone it's fine but for some reason with the disposal and second sink included it's not making sense to my layman's mind.

All the disposal installation info I find feed directly to the trap. How does the second sink get included?

Thanks

Comment

If you like to hear your dishwasher drain (noise) then by all means tye it into the disposal, if you like quiet, give it its own connection on the horizontal portion of the fixture outlet pipe (not the tail piece), down stream of the disposal, up stream of the trap. In my experience most disposals act as a amplifier for the draining dishwasher. just my 2 cents
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

From the disposal, run horizontal (this is were you place the dishwasher wye) to a TY (branch) below the second bowl, the second bowl drains into the top of the TY (run) below the TY, the trap, from the trap to the stack. If all else fails call a local plumber.
                    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by nervous View Post
                      Does anyone know where I can find a pic/diagram of what a proper drein setup should look like involving the following items:

2 bowl sink
                      garbage disposal
                      dishwasher

Without the disposal I am totally clear, and with the disposal alone it's fine but for some reason with the disposal and second sink included it's not making sense to my layman's mind.

All the disposal installation info I find feed directly to the trap. How does the second sink get included?

Thanks
                      proper installation is tubular, and there is a kit called a "end outlet waste" it consits of a waste arm and a baffle tee. I connect my disposal 90 into my baffle tee (on the run) and then my baffle tee into the trap, connect the waste arm into the branch of the baffle tee and the 90 of the waste arm into the tailpiece connected to the strainer.

If you disposal does not have a disposal 90, use the straight tail piece into the branch of the baffle tee and the top of the baffle tee to the tailpiece from the strainer then into the trap.

Dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal either by a high loop or through an air gap fitting, dependant on your code. there is an outlet on the disposal that fits 7/8 hose, knock the plug out

Very easy, sorry it's so wordy, hope you get the point
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

The code in colorado, at least the area I live in, is the plumber has to put in an individual standpipe, all 2 inch all glued fittings, to drain the dishwasher, which isn't the craziest idea in plumbing, but whoever came up with the idea appearantly never had a problem with a clogged kitchen line. When the kitchen line clogs, everything now comes out of the standpipe, all over the cabinet floor and onto the kitchen floor. Home-owner gets mad, calls me up, agrees to the job, then lays into me for the stupid design. All I can say is that's the code. Now there are ways to go about preventing the mess it makes, barb-like fittings you'd find for washing machine hoses in standpipes or taking the standpipe as close to the counter as you can get it, but truly the easiest way to prevent the mess is just to hook it into the dang disposal. Just one of many foolish codes here in coloradumb.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your answers and expertise. I do appreciate the time you all take to help hacks like me. I like things to be right no matter who does the job. I have no problem with doing the work but many of the jobs I do at home are one off things that require very specific info like that which you all provide. I am never averse to hiring professionals, but not only is it VERY hard to find folks I feel I can trust and will do the work to the level I expect but it's just my nature, I guess, to do it myself (like it or not!).

Thanks all

Herb

Comment

I would use the disposal connection and deal with the few minutes drain noise . Strap your drain loop under the counter . IT's the cleanest install . Use a flanged tail-piece to take you from the disposal to the other sink waste connection with a baffled tee then to a common p-trap .There are a few good ways to plumb this in but this way will give you the most room under your sink and is a sound way to plumb it in

Comment

Originally posted by draintech1 View Post
                              The code in colorado, at least the area I live in, is the plumber has to put in an individual standpipe, all 2 inch all glued fittings, to drain the dishwasher, which isn't the craziest idea in plumbing, but whoever came up with the idea appearantly never had a problem with a clogged kitchen line. When the kitchen line clogs, everything now comes out of the standpipe, all over the cabinet floor and onto the kitchen floor. Home-owner gets mad, calls me up, agrees to the job, then lays into me for the stupid design. All I can say is that's the code. Now there are ways to go about preventing the mess it makes, barb-like fittings you'd find for washing machine hoses in standpipes or taking the standpipe as close to the counter as you can get it, but truly the easiest way to prevent the mess is just to hook it into the dang disposal. Just one of many foolish codes here in coloradumb.
                              Can anyone quote this from the code book covering draintechs area.Sure a 2" standpipe can work,we all use them on our washing machines,but they are a minimum of 18" tall and don't have solid food and grease dumping into them.Crazy code Colorado

Comment

Working...
                              X