X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is this pipe for?

Not a plumber, but is it possible the house originally had a septic tank and the sewer hookup was after the house was built?
    Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
      I don't think its an abandon stack, too close to the existing stack. I doubt its a toilet stub either. My guess is it is/was a floor drain.

PS Its SENSE Robert. spelt SENSE not SINCE.
      Good thing your guys at work have you looking over them H/H.Telling em how to tie there shoes and all

Robert is in a hurry to become our top poster by the end of the week so he may make a few mistakes.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        What is the measurement from the wall to the center of that whatever it is?
        it is about 1'1".

Comment

Well...I just noticed that "lmei007" is from Boston...we can rule out the "septic" theory.
          Hi "Imie"...from a fellow Bostonian.
          With a distance of 13" from the rough wall it's starting to look like maybe it was a toilet built up on a sub-floor or stoop....maybe.

Comment

I'll bet you it was for a water closet , on a platform. Notice the white on the wall , it's a bit more white about six inches from the floor.

Regardless of any response in this forum you should still hire a local to check it out.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Well...I just noticed that "lmei007" is from Boston...we can rule out the "septic" theory.
              Duck,a few good freinds are from Boston.They are amazing guys.When they say they worked in construction you better beleive it.They are better qualified in roofing,framing,drywall,finished carpentry basically a general contractor that is more qualified than his specialized subs.Most of our contractors are site coordinators without a clue.
              One of em actually helped me swap out my chevy 6.2 diesel over to gas.So when you guys say your from Boston you get some shine thats allready been payed for.They are three people,Hell or high water I can count on to back me up without question.Hard to find in my community.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Duck,a few good freinds are from Boston.They are amazing guys.When they say they worked in construction you better beleive it.They are better qualified in roofing,framing,drywall,finished carpentry basically a general contractor that is more qualified than his specialized subs.Most of our contractors are site coordinators without a clue.
                One of em actually helped me swap out my chevy 6.2 diesel over to gas.So when you guys say your from Boston you get some shine thats allready been payed for.They are three people,Hell or high water I can count on to back me up without question.Hard to find in my community.

Adam
                I was in the military in So Cal and I can honestly say there is good and bad in EVERYONE.
                Here we shoot straight from the hip and we back our friends yes, but we can also be rude and aggressive. (You'd never had guessed by my calm demeanor...huh?)
                There are times when I think back, I regret not staying in Cali.

Comment

I was in the military in So Cal and I can honestly say there is good and bad in EVERYONE.
                  Here we shoot straight from the hip and we back our friends yes, but we can also be rude and aggressive. (You'd never had guessed by my calm demeanor...huh?)
                  There are times when I think back, I regret not staying in Cali.
                  Two of my freinds won't do what the customer wants if they feel it will not look good,and that costs them jobs.And yes,most people find them rude as a first impression,but thats cause they don't sugar coat.But when they say something you can count on them backing it up.

Comment

With a distance of 13" from the rough wall it's starting to look like maybe it was a toilet built up on a sub-floor or stoop....maybe.
                    Actually the house is in Lexington, a town in Greate Boston Area, not far from Boston City.

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                      Actually the house is in Lexington, a town in Greate Boston Area, not far from Boston City.
                      Just did a job today in Arlington, right next to you....was in Lexington earlier this week.
                      I'm know the area a wee bit...right down route 2, route 60, 2A...etc
                      Belmont next door...cambridge/somerville, then you're in Boston.

Comment

since i'm late to this discussion, i will have to agree it's a toilet that use to sit on an elevated floor. the 13'' c/l is a dead giveaway.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick--at least partially. In years past, it was quite common for plumbers to rough in for a water closet leaving the cast iron stick up above the floor line (guess they didn't trust the concrete guys) and cut it off after the floor was poured. In this case, it was never cut and a stool installed.
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
                            Hello there,

I just bought a house from a bank (foreclosure). I found there are lots of things I don't know on the house. Here is one of them.

In the basement, there is a room I want to make it as a bath room. I found there is pipe entry which was blocked with concrete. I don't know what is for originally. I am wondering there was a toilet there before and that entry was the sewer entry? Can I use it as the drainpipe for my new toilet? Please look at the photos and help me figure it out. Thank,

James
                            i guess it should be a toilet drain of some sort..

Comment

I`m gonna say it`s not the old soil stack because they would have had to cut the floor for the new one and there is no cut there. Now it`s to tall for a W/C unless they had a thrown style like I do Most basements around here have a platform that the W/C set`s on, so maybe?
                              Knock the concrete out and do the camera

I put my money on W/C
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

The other plug could be a house trap. It looks like it is around 12" from that wall judging from the waste stack.
                                Last edited by vette850; 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X