Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this pipe for?

Hello there,

I just bought a house from a bank (foreclosure). I found there are lots of things I don't know on the house. Here is one of them.

In the basement, there is a room I want to make it as a bath room. I found there is pipe entry which was blocked with concrete. I don't know what is for originally. I am wondering there was a toilet there before and that entry was the sewer entry? Can I use it as the drainpipe for my new toilet? Please look at the photos and help me figure it out. Thank,

James
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lmei007; 07-20-2007, 12:22 PM.

Re: What is this pipe for?

Just for fun I am going to guess before the guys who actually know come in. Is it an old stub from a soil pipe they moved?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Just for fun I am going to guess before the guys who actually know come in. Is it an old stub from a soil pipe they moved?
      Thats most likely what it is...looks like "Joe the handyman" decided to avoid cutting concrete, moved the stack to make more storage room and left the stub plugged with mortar.
      Careful, it's prolly still connected.

Comment

What is the measurement from the wall to the center of that whatever it is?
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          What is the measurement from the wall to the center of that whatever it is?
          I thought of that...the stub looks too high.

Comment

If the house was here in Arizona, the contractor would just quickly pour 6" of concrete on the floor and call it solved! LOL

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

It is about 1.5ft from the wall, I think. I will let you know the accurate number later.

Comment

Yea looks like a toilet pipe and just about the right location. Didn't see a drain for a lavy anywhere though.

Some houses at the turn of the century just had a toilet in the basement for the "service". Could it be that old?

Break the concrete off and shove a hose down there see what happens.

Comment

I was thinking toilet too, also, why are there 2 c/o's ? one on the horizontal and one on the vertice, very close eachother? either a waste or there are 2 different lines in there which makes no since.

Possible floor drain? naw, I think it is just a moved stack, but dosen't make since why they just didn't dead end it before recovering the concrete to make the new tie in. Tear it all up and re-do it right
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I don't think its an abandon stack, too close to the existing stack. I doubt its a toilet stub either. My guess is it is/was a floor drain.

PS Its SENSE Robert. spelt SENSE not SINCE.
                    Last edited by Hondahead; 07-20-2007, 06:11 PM.
                    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

No way that's a floor drain. A bit high don't you think?

Not a relocated stack either; no concrete patch. Looks original to me.

One plug is a cleanout the other is a test tee. Do you know the difference?

I love a guessing game

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        No way that's a floor drain. A bit high don't you think?

Not a relocated stack either; no concrete patch. Looks original to me.

One plug is a cleanout the other is a test tee. Do you know the difference?

I love a guessing game
                        Yeah, I do know the difference. So if it isn't any of the above, what do you think it is crack? I was just guessing, seems more then you are willing to do, you just said what it isn't, what is it crack? brave enough to take a guess?
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-20-2007, 07:20 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                          I don't think its an abandon stack, too close to the existing stack. I doubt its a toilet stub either. My guess is it is/was a floor drain.

PS Its SENSE Robert. spelt SENSE not SINCE.

Thanks Honda, my dictionary (wife) wasn't here
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

If it's to high to be a drain then it's to high to be a toilet also.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              If it's to high to be a drain then it's to high to be a toilet also.
                              Somebody's had their coffee....
                              Thats the reason I guessed it's an original stack...but that doesn't make sense either. why would someone open the 'crete to install a new stack and not remove the old?
                              One thing I would bet on...it's still connected under the slab.

Comment

Working...
                              X