3" cap in a 4" abs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3" cap in a 4" abs?

Hello, I'm trying to cap off a 4" stack that is not being used There's a 90 degree bend which is flush with the basement floor which unfortunately doesn't give me any room to chip out some cement and put a cap over it. I tested a 3" cap on the inside of the 4" pipe inside the fitting and it seemds to fit pretty snug. Is it okay to use a 3" cap on a 4" pipe in this manner? I'm not talking the blue test cap either, an abs cap. Also does it matter which side I'll be putting in first?

I'm in Ontario, Canada btw.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 3" cap in a 4" abs?

You can use a dollar plug, which is a rubber expansion plug or "plumber's dynamite", which is also called pour stone.

Do they have Home Depot's out there? They carry an internal pipe fitting called a "tom-kap". It is a 4" internal glued fitting adapter. It is very thin.

Mrs. Seat Down
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Joey,

MrSeatDown has trained you well.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,

Do you mean MrSeatUp?

Joey
        Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          Mark,

Do you mean MrSeatUp?

Joey
          Nope, you already told us Rick has to sit down to pee. (right Robert?)

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Right Mark

It's ok daddy, we still love you though

On the subject, yes a dollar plug or plumbers dinamite should take care of that situation
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies. I want to close off the floor with rigid foam and 5/8 plywood subfloor (plus whatever flooring we decide in the future). So I need something that will not require an access in the future - would these dollar plugs / plumber's dynamite pass code for this application? Also someone mentioned putting a test cap in and cementing over, I'm not sure if this would pass code either.

If I did go with a 4" cap but wanted to cut it back in length so there a minimum length required to make a proper seal (ie, could I cut it back to 1" in total length to the outside edge of the cap - so 3/4" or so of abs to abs cemented contact)

Thanks again.

Comment

On second thought is it wise at all to have a branch of the main drain with nothing flowing in it? Could waste from the other intersecting drain lines start filling it and cause problems down the road?

The drain seems dry since I cut it off near the floor (temporarily plugged for sewer gases).

Thanks.

I'm now thinking ahead on what I can do have access in the future.... :P

Comment

So I have been looking for a tom-kap in the GTA area and can't find a supplier (HD doesn't carry them in canada) and the distributors of reator seal in my area have seems to have hard about this product.

I need to decide if I should cap off this or put in some type of clean out that mounts fairly flush (doesn't exceed 1 1/2 inches in height - again there's a 4" 90 right at the concrete floor level so I only have 1 1/2 inches total for a female connection - if the fitting fit inside 4" abs then I'd have more room to play)

My concern with capping it is will 3/4 inch abs to abs contact suffice for a proper bond? And should I even cap off a dry waste line tied into the main drains (I'd be worried that waste would eventually backup into this line).

The cleanout would offer a method to unplug the line should it ever backup however it'll be difficult to keep access to the cleanout (I think I can bring the cleanup up to the subfloor level and then carpet over. There is a steel support just over 2 feet away a can cut a seem back from and pull back if there is an issue.

The easiest method seems to be fill it with Plumbers Dynamite and forget about it, but would this stand the test of time and if there is a concern about the backup waste in the line, could I drill/knock it out for cleanup purposes in the future.

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSoreThumb View Post
                    So I have been looking for a tom-kap in the GTA area and can't find a supplier (HD doesn't carry them in canada) and the distributors of reator seal in my area have seems to have hard about this product.

I need to decide if I should cap off this or put in some type of clean out that mounts fairly flush (doesn't exceed 1 1/2 inches in height - again there's a 4" 90 right at the concrete floor level so I only have 1 1/2 inches total for a female connection - if the fitting fit inside 4" abs then I'd have more room to play)

My concern with capping it is will 3/4 inch abs to abs contact suffice for a proper bond? And should I even cap off a dry waste line tied into the main drains (I'd be worried that waste would eventually backup into this line).

The cleanout would offer a method to unplug the line should it ever backup however it'll be difficult to keep access to the cleanout (I think I can bring the cleanup up to the subfloor level and then carpet over. There is a steel support just over 2 feet away a can cut a seem back from and pull back if there is an issue.

The easiest method seems to be fill it with Plumbers Dynamite and forget about it, but would this stand the test of time and if there is a concern about the backup waste in the line, could I drill/knock it out for cleanup purposes in the future.

Thanks again in advance.
                    in this case i believe a 3/4'' joint depth will be ok for a cleanout.

plumbers dynamite is good for the long run. if you wad up 3 full sheets of newspaper into a ball then stuff it in 2'' below the top. you can then dynamite the pipe shut and eventually break it out. 25# of dynamite goes a long way.

you can't find the tom -kap. i have a case of them

i would use the abs cleanout over dynamite.
                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      in this case i believe a 3/4'' joint depth will be ok for a cleanout.

plumbers dynamite is good for the long run. if you wad up 3 full sheets of newspaper into a ball then stuff it in 2'' below the top. you can then dynamite the pipe shut and eventually break it out. 25# of dynamite goes a long way.

you can't find the tom -kap. i have a case of them

i would use the abs cleanout over dynamite.
                      rick.
                      Even if he "French kisses" snakes, Rick is making sense here with the dynamite. Actually it was West Coast who suggested it, and there the credit should lie.

Use it, cover it, forget it.
                      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        You can use a dollar plug, which is a rubber expansion plug or "plumber's dynamite", which is also called pour stone.

Do they have Home Depot's out there? They carry an internal pipe fitting called a "tom-kap". It is a 4" internal glued fitting adapter. It is very thin.

Mrs. Seat Down
                        dog,

actually it was joey who was the first to post

can't let robert take all the credit that easy.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          dog,

actually it was joey who was the first to post

can't let robert take all the credit that easy.

rick.
                          Robert had his lollypop taken away by a girl

Comment

Working...
                          X