Disposal outlet tailpiece

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposal outlet tailpiece

Got my disposal today, a Kenmore 60554, and instead od a threaded outlet attachment it has a single bolt and gasket configuration. It a 90* bend which the install instructions indicate goed to the trap. easy enough in a single bowl configuration but since I have a double sink OTW I am again confused about getting everything connected the proper way. Can I replace the 90* piece with a straight tailpiece and move the gasket? I could then asseble everything as originally intended.

Another option would be to run 2 separate drains and traps (one from the sink and one from the disposal) and run them into the main 2" via a "Y" where there would norrmaplly be a single inlet. The would then each have an independant run to the main. Is this wacky? I did see that the install instructions for this unit as well as some insinkerator units recommend separate traps for each drain. I could use the clarification and pics are ALWAYS welcome.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Disposal outlet tailpiece

Originally posted by nervous View Post
    Got my disposal today, a Kenmore 60554, and instead od a threaded outlet attachment it has a single bolt and gasket configuration. It a 90* bend which the install instructions indicate goed to the trap. easy enough in a single bowl configuration but since I have a double sink OTW I am again confused about getting everything connected the proper way. Can I replace the 90* piece with a straight tailpiece and move the gasket? I could then asseble everything as originally intended.

Another option would be to run 2 separate drains and traps (one from the sink and one from the disposal) and run them into the main 2" via a "Y" where there would norrmaplly be a single inlet. The would then each have an independant run to the main. Is this wacky? I did see that the install instructions for this unit as well as some insinkerator units recommend separate traps for each drain. I could use the clarification and pics are ALWAYS welcome.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Just use a two part waste with a baffle tee. Use a flanged tailpiece and gasket from the disposal to the tee so you can raise the tubular drain up to leave more space in the cabinet. go to a supply house or home depot and ask them for a two part waste or end outlet waste. you will be set.
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-24-2007, 10:39 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Re: Disposal outlet tailpiece

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      Just use a two part waste with a baffle tee. Use a flanged tailpiece and gasket from the disposal to the tee so you can raise the tubular drain up to leave more space in the cabinet. go to a supply house or home depot and ask them for a two part waste or end outlet waste. you will be set.
      Most manufacturers will tell you the disposal will operate better if the flanged ninety is used instead of a straight flanged tail piece but either one is legal. Make sure to ask for a two-part waste with end outlet or you may end up with a center outlet.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
      X