Which sink for disposal install?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sink for disposal install?

In your experiences, is there a sink of choice in a 2 sink application where one sink is a small bowl and the other is a larger main bowl? I assume it doesn't matter but I am of 2 minds. To put it on the main sink gives the greatest versatility but putting on the small sink leaves the main drain unemcumbered and easier to service should there be any issues.

What are the pros and cons from the installs you have seen?

Thanks
    Last edited by nervous; 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM. Reason: Misspell

Re: Which sink for disposal install?

The big question is what size is your base cabinet? The cabinet will dictate what size sink you can use. The next question is what type of counter top will you be using. The next and maybe final question is whether you want a flat-rim sink or a self-rimming sink.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

standard 36" base cab, seamless undermount sink in a Corian countertop. It's a 2 bowl sink, the smaller about 10" wide and the larger about 21" wide. Small bowl is shallower, large bowl is 8.5" deep. That part is all set. The issue for me is which bowl to mount the disposal onto and am curious about the pros and cons of using either sink. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by nervous View Post
        standard 36" base cab, seamless undermount sink in a Corian countertop. It's a 2 bowl sink, the smaller about 10" wide and the larger about 21" wide. Small bowl is shallower, large bowl is 8.5" deep. That part is all set. The issue for me is which bowl to mount the disposal onto and am curious about the pros and cons of using either sink. Thanks for the reply
        I'm sorry I guess I did not understand your question. The smaller sink is your prep sink and the larger sink is your soaking sink. The disposal goes in your prep sink.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I'm sorry I guess I did not understand your question. The smaller sink is your prep sink and the larger sink is your soaking sink. The disposal goes in your prep sink.

Mark
          mark is correct in his call. but as a homeowner you can choose whatever you like. in new production work, apts and condos, i made the choice based on the sink layout and pipe location. on a split level sink, typically the disposal goes into the smaller shallower sink as mark stated.

if you want to swap it to the deeper sink, you might end up too low for the disposal waste connection.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Good advice from both. Thanks. Is there any reason to think that by NOT putting the disposal on the larger, main sink it would keep the main sink drain both better draining and easier to service in the future if there shoud be any drain issues? How much of a drain restriction do disposals present (turned off) as opposed to there not being there at all?

Thanks again.

Comment

I prefer to put a disposal on the higher basin too...also, I prefer the disposal to be the closer to the drain inlet than the other for wash-down of food particles.

Comment

Originally posted by nervous View Post
                Good advice from both. Thanks. Is there any reason to think that by NOT putting the disposal on the larger, main sink it would keep the main sink drain both better draining and easier to service in the future if there shoud be any drain issues? How much of a drain restriction do disposals present (turned off) as opposed to there not being there at all?

Thanks again.
                When you have your deep sink full of dirty dishes you will not be able to put anything down the disposal. That is why the smaller sink is considered the prep sink. You can reverse it but then your big sink will need to remain empty and the dirty dishes will soak in the small sink. Not a very good alternative.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X