Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shower drain repair

hey folks,
    thought I might try to repair a leaky shower drain before I call a plumber, I have a brass drain assembly, access to the underside, and wonder if I need to remove the whole assembly and replace the gasket, also wonder how the assembly is attached to the drain pipe (black plastic) and am I able to remove it? Thanks for your help...........workerb

Re: shower drain repair

a picture of the bottom side, inside the shower and a good one inside the drain will really help.

low resolution is the trick to posting on the site. (420x420) i finally learned it and now joey doesn't have 1 up on me anymore

something like that.

try that and then it will save a lot of different possibilities.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

It sounds like a casper drain which could be leaking at the flange or the pipe connection. Have you identified the location of the leak yet?

There are a few different ways the pipe could be connected to the drain. Remove the strainer and let us know what you see. Pictures would really help.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good morning Rick

Comment

you guys are funny.........I'll take some pictures, this will take a minute, I have to clean the drain so you're not grossed outand I've got to cut some wood away on the underside to get a better look.......thanks for the reply, I'll be back with some pics as soon as I can.....workerb

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Good morning Rick
            good evening mark.

had some interestings jobs and took some photos. will post.

photos please

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

okay, it took a while for me to figure it out but I've got the pics, first from the bottom, then a little closer, it leaks from the outside of the ring, and then from the top, with the cover off, of course. I know this is where the leak is coming from because I poured a bucket of water from another source onto the floor and it took a minute but I got a drip. Can you help? Thanks, workerb
              Attached Files

Comment

very good photos.

your issue is with the putty at the seal between the fiberglass pan and the drain. very common.

the drain is the same one they have at home depot. it comes with a little flat bar to tighten the clamping collar onto the pipe. personally i would just cut the plastic off from underneath and replace the drain. putty is the norm, but you might have better luck with silicone caulking between the drain and the pan.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by workerb View Post
                  okay, it took a while for me to figure it out but I've got the pics, first from the bottom, then a little closer, it leaks from the outside of the ring, and then from the top, with the cover off, of course. I know this is where the leak is coming from because I poured a bucket of water from another source onto the floor and it took a minute but I got a drip. Can you help? Thanks, workerb
                  The question about location had more to do with whether it was leaking at the flange or the pipe connection rather than where in the bathroom.

As Rick posted it looks like your flange is leaking. You could try yo remove and reset the same drain fitting with new putty but I am not sure what condition the rubber seal is in. You are probably better off buying a new drain and some fresh putty.

Mark

Comment

I could replace the drain (home depot, $20) I'd prefer to attempt to remove the old drain as Mark suggests and save the pipe as opposed to cutting the plastic which would mean buying a length of pipe, a coupling and some glue. I'm not sure I understand why it doesn't leak from the pipe without any glue or putty, is it that tight and will I be able to get it off without damaging the pipe? Would removing the old gasket and using plumbers putty alone be sufficient? I've seen the drain assembly at home depot but there's was nothing else with it like the flat bar Rick mentioned, of course, at my local home depot, you can never find an orange vest............thanks for your time guys

Comment

Wow,the easiest forum repair.

Great pictures.

The existing drains gasket may not be all that willing to let go of the pipe that is in there.This is even after removing the clamping collar.I think Utah called it earlier to cut the pipe.This will make it easier to remove the entire assembly.

Comment

There is a special key that comes with the drain when you purchase it, it allows you to slide the drain over the ABS and when you tighten it, it pulls the gasket tight around the pipe, not allowing a leak.

I have had alot of drains like this leak at the flange because of the fiberglass pan, every time I will cut it on the trap arm, pull the drain off, clean up the area where the old drain was, (both on the pan and the pipe) install a new drain and use plumbers putty, (tighten very well) then re-install the existing drain pipe with a new no-hub.

All set, no leaks for another few years
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

you can buy a 2'' x 2' section of abs, glue, coupling for an additional $5.00

don't make your work harder by trying to save the few dollars. all in all the total cost is 20-30 dollars with the drain.

you will do it right with the aboved mentioned parts and repair.

adam that was me that mentioned to cut the pipe

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick wins! I'm doing it, I'm going in, I'm cutting the pipe............first I gotta go shopping, Robert, I don't know what a no-hub is but I'm gonna try to dig up an orange vest at home depot and find out.........great advice guys, and if you don't mind, I think I'll post my repair so you can grade my work...........not soon, though, thank goodness there's another shower downstairs. Tomorrow I bring the kids to the zoo, the next day the Ecotarium, I'm thinking maybe Friday, or Monday............. you've made my first experience in a forum truly enjoyable and if I'm successful with my repair, also profitable, thanks

Comment

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/nohub_coupling.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.plumbingsupply.com/nohub.html&h=97&w=94&sz=4&hl=en&start=0&sig2=yFcrE cU7_kT0gmAGpNrKhw&um=1&tbnid=42hN3cfDv4LV9M:&tbnh= 81&tbnw=78&ei=bwGwRsXDHovIgAPq8_n0Dg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dno-hub%2Bcoupling%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26r ls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBF%26sa%3DN

There are no-hub couplings. They should sell them at home depot. If you haven't worked with ABS solvent Weld pipe before, you can run into problems very easy and find yourself running back and fourth for parts and a big mess, there is no need to replace the trap and pipe up to the drain if just the flange is leaking. Just cut it on the trap arm approx 2" back from the 90 where the pipe goes horizontal after the " u-bend", pull everything appart, clean it and install the new drain with new putty, then re-install the existing trap, it will all be very simple.
                              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM. Reason: miss-spelling
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X