A Do It Yourself Heater Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Do It Yourself Heater Install

i was called to rework a gas main in a basement of a house in a very spendy neighborhood. i needed to see the fixtures on the line as i had to size the line for relocation. when i opened up the water heater closet i was amazed at the erector set of a gas connector. 2 old flex lines with adapters and fittings. i asked the owner who did it and she explained it was here husband. an engineer.

i mentioned that my estimate will include replacing the gas connector to the heater.

picture enclosed.

rick.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: A Do It Yourself Heater Install

haha wow that from an engineer, i thought those guys didn't make mistakes...
    This reminds of a time I went to replace a fan in a unit heater, and saw the building owner piped the gas in 7/8 soft type L, suspended with wire , and soldered sloppily.
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
      haha wow that from an engineer, i thought those guys didn't make mistakes...
      This reminds of a time I went to replace a fan in a unit heater, and saw the building owner piped the gas in 7/8 soft type L, suspended with wire , and soldered sloppily.
      No offense intended, but engineers are the worst of the diy'ers.
      It just seems like they make assumptions that they know more than plumbers or electricians because they have the "book" knowledge...then take liberties that most wouldn't.
      Not ALL engineers...I get alot of work from them...but I also see alot of what Rick just posted as well.

Comment

ppfff...only 2 connectors together?...I've seen 4 1/2"x 48"s to a dryer

Comment

My ex-next-door-neighbor was an electrical engineer. He had 38 junction boxes in the basement ceiling to compensate for "miscalculations".

Comment

I in part agree with you but you guys need to remember they don't use engineers for residential construction. When it comes to residential repair an engineer is just a Do-it-Yourselfer. However, most plumbers would rather not have to size a water system on a 40-story building and that is where an engineer comes in handy.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I in part agree with you but you guys need to remember they don't use engineers for residential construction. When it comes to residential repair an engineer is just a Do-it-Yourselfer. However, most plumbers would rather not have to size a water system on a 40-story building and that is where an engineer comes in handy.

Mark
              Did someone say MATH???
              Take a look at my posts on propress!!!
              LOL..I know, it's easy to look at the other side and make assumptions...kinda what this thread was started by.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                No offense intended, but engineers are the worst of the diy'ers.
                It just seems like they make assumptions that they know more than plumbers or electricians because they have the "book" knowledge...then take liberties that most wouldn't.
                Not ALL engineers...I get alot of work from them...but I also see alot of what Rick just posted as well.
                I'm aware they do make mistakes. We need some sort of universal sarcasm font for this forum....
                West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                  I'm aware they do make mistakes. We need some sort of universal sarcasm font for this forum....
                  I was helping a person who was an engineer vault a single story home.We had shear paneling on the gable end to help keep the outside walls from spreading unfortunately because we had cut the ceiling joists and collar ties the two walls supporting the roof rafters started to bow outward as they ran further from the corners(3/4").No big deal,add a beam on the ridge W/posts.

Here's the problem,Freind calls Daddy,a aircraft mechanical engineer.He showed up to state that I was incompitent.They hired a framing contractor.Guess what,when I was to put in the plumbing,there was the beam and posts,smaller than what I wanted to use.

Long story longer,I really felt like having him get someone else do the plumbing too.It would have been a lot easier to deal with if DADDY wasn't so arrogant.

Comment

you mean something like this??
                    Attached Files
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                    X