Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge with Ice / Water dispenser

Dear all,

Having recently moved oversea's we got around to purchasing a brand new shiny fridge; I have always wanted one with a dispenser at the front.

However I made a mistake, being clueless as always, I bought the first one I came to like the looks of without asking too many questions.

Now the problem is that we are living in a rental property, and after discovering you dont just 'put water in to a container' I found out I was to be in need of a plumber for installation. Bad news = we cant install something like this in to a place we don't own.

I was wondering about a solution, and if I could find some advise on the 'net.

My idea would be to hook the tubes / pipes etc that comes out of the back of the fridge to a hose that I can link to a tap. I could then supply some water from the tap and unhook the hose until the water ran out.. and repeat. Such like if the fridge had a container inside that had to be topped up every now and then.

I would have concerns about this method if it would cause damage, as it would not be constantly hooked up to the main water supply?

I realise I might still require a professional plumber to get this done, but I thought I would ask here to find out if this would be a possibility and not have to try and explain myself over the phone.

If something like this can't be done, are there any other options for my situation?

Thanks VERY much for your time and any reply of advise.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Crs; 07-30-2007, 11:21 AM.

Re: Fridge with Ice / Water dispenser

Sorry, but your solution of connecting the fridge to the tap to fill it up periodically will not work. The fridge requires the pressure from a connected water supply to make the water dispense from the front of the door, as well as fill the ice maker. While the fridge does have a water tank (to store water to be chilled before using) it doesn't have a pump which would be needed to get the water from the tank to the door.

You'll have to get a plumber to run a water supply (1/4") from the closest cold water line to the back of the fridge. If there is continuous cabinetry between your kitchen sink and your fridge, you can run this line through holes drilled in the back of the cabinets instead of opening up walls, ceilings floors, etc.

Comment

Thanks for your reply whallupaz,

I see your point about the water pressure now, thats a shame! It looks like we wont be able to make use of it afterall (cant make modifications to cabinets since we are renting)

Been using the fridge for a few months now, so I guess we cant return it for an exchange

ah well, again thanks for your time with replying!!

Comment

the supply tube is more than likely only a 1/4" in diameter, depending on the situation you possibly could surface run the supply tube to the fridge or possibly there is some space under the counter tops from the sink over to the area where the fridge is, under the sink have a tee place in and a valve to supply the fridge,

I do not recommend the piercing saddle valve,

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/19761/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        OR IN the states there is uslay a water shut off, and then from there a supply tube to the faucet, a tee can be placed on the cold water side.

This set up would splice into after the shut off,

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ee-101714.aspx
        such as in this picture
        http://www.thstore.com/demo/ThstoreI...on_iceFilt.gif

The item labled B is a water filter in the above picture.

Using the above idea and one short piece of 3/8" copper pipe and one would not even be able to tell you ever did any thing, if you chose to remove it when you moved, the ice maker probably uses a 1/4" either copper line.

If things there are the same as here,

But why not ask the land lord and see if he will OK the addition, if it is done correctly and professionally I would not see the problem with improving the property , especially if your willing to pay for the install.
        Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Crs View Post

My idea would be to hook the tubes / pipes etc that comes out of the back of the fridge to a hose that I can link to a tap. I could then supply some water from the tap and unhook the hose until the water ran out.. and repeat. Such like if the fridge had a container inside that had to be topped up every now and then.

If something like this can't be done, are there any other options for my situation?

You could probably rig up a gravity feed system. Basically you'd just need a reservoir (10-20L) above the fridge that you could refill when needed.
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Hi and thanks again for your recent replies.

BHD, I appreciate your input and supplying of the diagrams. A little beyond me at the moment. Also I couldnt ask the land lord for permission to make modifications - might move by early next year and the fridge is mine and is coming with me

Hondahead do you think a gravity feed type system would have enough pressure? I wonder how that would look too..

(If you are wondering the fridge in question is a Samsung SRS622DSS).

Cheers!

Comment

For what it's worth and my bet is you're doing it now, just be sure the ice maker is shut off and use ice cube trays. When it's in your new place, then maybe have a plumber come and connect up the water line to it. In time, I bet you'll be able to make use if it properly. I really doubt a gravity flow system could fill it fast enough. More than likely you would end up with tiny ice chips rather than cubes if anything.

Comment

Hondahead do you think a gravity feed type system would have enough pressure?
                I don't see why not. Many water distribution systems in the UK are basically gravity feed.

I wonder how that would look too..

Is there a cabinet above the fridge? If so, you could conceal the reservoir there.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                  I don't see why not. Many water distribution systems in the UK are basically gravity feed.

Is there a cabinet above the fridge? If so, you could conceal the reservoir there.

I doubt this would work by gravity.

The head pressure from a storage tank in a cabinet above the fridge to the bottom of the fridge (where the solenoid valve is) would only be about 2.5 PSI. (Approx six feet of head). The water in the pipes in your house should be at about 50 PSI (give or take). To get that kind of pressure you'd need to have the water tank 115 feet above your fridge. (Not to mention the loss of pressure inside the fridge due to friction loss in the water filter, if you have one in the fridge.)

Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if any water came out at all.

Comment

After doing a little research I've found that a gravity system probably wont work for you. All though a gravity system would be able to meet the flow rate requirements of a icemaker and water dispenser (0.25 gpm to 0.5 gpm) The minimum pressure required to overcome the filtration system is 20psi.

Comment

Forget the water/ice dispensers that comes on the fridges, they are useless. Always had problems with them leaking or freezing.

I installed a water dispenser straight off the mains instead, much easier and never had a problem with it. Do yourself a favour buddy and save yourself the time and bother and get a stand alone water dispenser!

Comment

Originally posted by thewaterboy View Post
                        Forget the water/ice dispensers that comes on the fridges, they are useless. Always had problems with them leaking or freezing.

I installed a water dispenser straight off the mains instead, much easier and never had a problem with it. Do yourself a favour buddy and save yourself the time and bother and get a stand alone water dispenser!
                        HELLO,THIS THREAD WAS POSTED 3 1/2 YEARS AGO ! She's into beer Now !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by thewaterboy View Post

do you have a spam dispenser installed too

cause we have a spam filter to keep you out

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

The bloody fridge would have packed up by now and be at the recyclers

Tony

Comment

PS
                              Welcome to this forum thewaterboy I can see that you will fit in well.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X