X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's solar fluid used in my system?

Anybody saw/has an old solar panel system like mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007

This is another unknown thing to me inside my house bought few weeks ago from a bank.

a. Storage Tank: SE62-80H-045S (a product from American Water Heater Company, 6 years old);
    b. Heat Exchanger and expansion tank: Novan Energy FXB1000D Optimizer (23 yrs old?);
    c. Solar Controller: CM-30 Solar Controller (23 yrs old?);

Now I found it does not work and the solar fluid was drained out when the property (in Boston, MA) was winterized a year ago, I think.

My questions are the following:

1. What’s solar fluid used in the system? Glycol, water or oils?
    2. How to drain out all fluid from the expansion before refill the solar fluid?
    3. What is the procedure to refill the solar fluid?

Thanks,

James

Re: What's solar fluid used in my system?

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
    Now I found it does not work and the solar fluid was drained out when the property (in Boston, MA) was winterized a year ago, I think.

My questions are the following:

1. What’s solar fluid used in the system? Glycol, water or oils?
    2. How to drain out all fluid from the expansion before refill the solar fluid?
    3. What is the procedure to refill the solar fluid?

Thanks,

James
    Your system uses Glycol to that circulates from the panels on the roof through the 'tube in tube' heat exchanger. (one tube has Glycol the other water) The Glycol transfers the heat this way. Then the heated water is circulated through the storage tank. Thats why you have 2 pumps. When the storage runs low on hot water like on a cloudy day or nightime use it has elements to heat the tank water. It would be easier to 'splain this if I could point to these things. Are you still with me?
    No need to drain the expansion tank not sure why you would think to do that.
    You can pump the Glycol back into the system from a 5 gallon buck through the boiler drain. Be sure to bleed ALL the air out. There may be a bleed port on the roof panels.

With a Glycol system no need to drain it out even for winterization. It should last the life of the solar system. Now if someone didn't know what they were doing....... I can see a scenario how this could happen. Glycol is a lil spendy and I hope it just wasn't flushed down some floor drain

23 year old system?...hope those panels are ok

Next question......
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 07-31-2007, 06:20 PM.

Comment

OR....if the system has a leak you don't want to fix then you drain it and tell the prospective buyer that it was 'winterized'.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        With a Glycol system no need to drain it out even for winterization. It should last the life of the solar system. Now if someone didn't know what they were doing....... I can see a scenario how this could happen. Glycol is a lil spendy and I hope it just wasn't flushed down some floor drain

23 year old system?...hope those panels are ok

Next question......
        This property was a forceclosure house and was empty at least one year. The owner (a bank) had it winterized. I guess the empty solar fluid loop was due to that winterize.

How to check the panels are ok or not? It is 23 yrs old because I saw a note says the pump was install in 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          OR....if the system has a leak you don't want to fix then you drain it and tell the prospective buyer that it was 'winterized'.
          Is there a way to check if the system has a leak or not?

Comment

Working...
          X