shower pan installation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shower pan installation?

I will be installing a totally new stand up shower from the slab to the ceiling. I am pretty solid on installing the walls (CBB), vapor barrier, tile, plumbing, etc. My question is on the shower pan liner and sand mix. I will be starting from the slab. My 2" drain will be replaced. I purchased that heavy gray pan liner from HD and a new drain designed to be used with it. Is there a resource, online or otherwise, that shows step by step instructions? I'm curious about sloping the sand mix to the drain (shower is 3' x 6'). How wet the sand mix should be to allow it to be sloped and worked smooth. How to fold the pan liner corners so they are reasonably flat and how to finish it off and be ready to lay floor and wall tiles. Not much to ask huh?? LOL. Thanks so much for any and all help.

Re: shower pan installation?

Rick, you got this one?

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/How_to_Use/Shower%20Pan%20Liner.pdf
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 08-05-2007, 11:42 AM.

Comment

i would go to the manufacturers web site for all the real answers.

i have installed a few of the vinyl liners and they do make inside and outside corners. i would suggest that you use those so that the material doesn't bunch up. also make sure you properly seal the liner to the sub drain assy.

if in doubt, contact the manufacture.

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-05-2007, 12:38 PM. Reason: TYPO
      phoebe it is

Comment

Robert you got something better to add?

Rick's responce was a little weak

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Crack, that is pretty good instructions. I think it is always best to have a professional come out and do a "Hot Mop"

I feel more comfortable letting a professional handle this, as I know it will be done right and will not have problems later, it is too late when you have the tile set and slopped, not a good time to find out you messed up

Hot Mop is in-expensive compared to the damage you will cause later if you find a leak.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

wood guy you should hire a tileman to set the pan and tile in the shower. That way he can be the one to go back on when it leaks in a year if he dose a crappy job.If you don't get it right you will be breaking it all out in a year.

Comment

I do alot of tile work, mostly custom showers and bathrooms. I really like this product http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx
              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen..all good advice. I found a tile guy willing to set the pan from the ground up and do the floor tile. I can do the wall tile. He was just a little pricey I thought..estimate time. Thanks again for all the quick help. Jeff

Comment

We do a lot of vinyl pans...take your time and fold your corners correctly..and seal it around the drain, you should never have a problem. When I say seal it around the drain..we use silicone white caulk, and get under the pan around the drain, before you put the flange down. When the flange goes down..caulk should press through the screw holes.

1 bit of advice that I can say is..piecing the vinyl together...it will leak down the road. We would NEVER do a pan, in where we had to piece together anything. If a shower base is that big in where the standard vinyl sheet doesn't cover..leave that to the tile guy..or someone else. It's not worth putting your insurance on the line..cause the point drill(blame game) WILL commence!

We have corrected many pans that were pieced together..just not a good idea to do.

Comment

I agree ozone , I have done a hundred vinyl pans and have not had problems with bulky corners . When I first started installing vinyl liners it was illegal to use caulk or silicone at the flange because of the concern that the weep holes would be blocked . If an inspector seen any signs of it you would fail. Now I show them the pasco manufactures recommendation to actually use silicone , but I still keep it away from the weepholes .

Comment

Originally posted by apf View Post
                      I agree ozone , I have done a hundred vinyl pans and have not had problems with bulky corners . When I first started installing vinyl liners it was illegal to use caulk or silicone at the flange because of the concern that the weep holes would be blocked . If an inspector seen any signs of it you would fail. Now I show them the pasco manufactures recommendation to actually use silicone , but I still keep it away from the weepholes .
                      Isn't it weird how different parts of the country have different Plumbing codes? I see a lot of pans in where guys don't seal anything around the drain..risky move IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X