X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove gas line sizing

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question and if not I apologize and please ignore it. If so, I am ready to install the last leg of gas line that will supply a 30" free standing gas range. The supply to this leg so far is 3/4" black iron. It seems to me that, given what's readily available, the most efficient valve and flex connection line combo are both 1/2". Since I have not yet found a 3/4" to 1/2" gas valve I have the option of using a 3/4" to 1/2" 90* elbow in the final upward (through the floor into the kitchen behind the stove) supply leg making the final connections easy and with minimal adaptors or joints. My question is this: Would there be any issues in doing the reduction to a 1/2" supply in this final section? The flow through should remain adequate for the needs of the stove? Or is it better to keep everything 3/4" right through the valve and use reducers to make the final 1/2" connections. Just looking for a few pros/cons, or what the norm is before I finish.
    Thanks to all.
    Herb

Re: Stove gas line sizing

Originally posted by nervous View Post
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this question and if not I apologize and please ignore it. If so, I am ready to install the last leg of gas line that will supply a 30" free standing gas range. The supply to this leg so far is 3/4" black iron. It seems to me that, given what's readily available, the most efficient valve and flex connection line combo are both 1/2". Since I have not yet found a 3/4" to 1/2" gas valve I have the option of using a 3/4" to 1/2" 90* elbow in the final upward (through the floor into the kitchen behind the stove) supply leg making the final connections easy and with minimal adaptors or joints. My question is this: Would there be any issues in doing the reduction to a 1/2" supply in this final section? The flow through should remain adequate for the needs of the stove? Or is it better to keep everything 3/4" right through the valve and use reducers to make the final 1/2" connections. Just looking for a few pros/cons, or what the norm is before I finish.
    Thanks to all.
    Herb
    Sounds good to me, if you wanna keep it 3/4, they have a CSST kit in home depot, it has 1 adapter for the stove, which is 1/2" mip, and a 3/4 flared hose connection, and on the other end, a 3/4 fip x 3/4 flared code cock.

Sounds like what you want to do will be fine, Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT STACK ADAPTERS! PIPE THREADS AND FLARED ENDS DO NOT SCREW TOGHETHER NO MATTER HOW MUCH DOPE YOU USE!!!

One other thing, do not use dope on flared fittings

Check for gas leaks when you are done, use soap in a spray bottle, just remember to wipe it off clean, it isn't good for the fittings

If you have bubbles, you have leaks
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Keep it 3/4 all the way and use the kit with the proper fittings as Robert suggested. Double check the placement of the valve with a recess at the back of the range and for accessabilty.

wookie

Comment

I don't have time to research it but most codes require a minimum 3/4" pipe to a range regardless of the BTU rating.

This link may help you research it if necessary.

www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/fuel_code.pdf

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good Point Mark,

I never run anything smaller then 3/4 to my stoves

Now, question to you Mark, what about just a stove top, no oven?

I believe just a stove top/cooktop is fine in 1/2" tied into a 3/4 run.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert,

The UPC use to require 3/4" because they figured the average free-standing range was 75,000. Now they have derated them to 65,000 so it is not as big of an issue but I would still run 3/4" in case the range is changed out some day. Cook tops are generally under 50,000 so 1/2" is fine.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              Sounds good to me, if you wanna keep it 3/4, they have a CSST kit in home depot, it has 1 adapter for the stove, which is 1/2" mip, and a 3/4 flared hose connection, and on the other end, a 3/4 fip x 3/4 flared code cock.

Sounds like what you want to do will be fine, Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT STACK ADAPTERS! PIPE THREADS AND FLARED ENDS DO NOT SCREW TOGHETHER NO MATTER HOW MUCH DOPE YOU USE!!!

One other thing, do not use dope on flared fittings

Check for gas leaks when you are done, use soap in a spray bottle, just remember to wipe it off clean, it isn't good for the fittings

If you have bubbles, you have leaks
              robert i hope you meant to say a gas flex connector and valve. i know you've been working hard and late

i don't believe, and hope they don't sell csst at home depot or any other hardware store (corrigated stainless steel tubing). aka gastite, tracpipe, wardflex. in my order of preference

i had a job yesterday that the owner vought new appliances and the freestanding 30'' range was supplied with a 1/2'' od flex and 1/2'' fip x flare gas cock. i was prepared to install a 3/4'' 90 degree gas cock but the owner wanted to use the 1/2'' instead. the rating was good for 71,000 btu's at 30'' length. so i installed a 3/4'' x 1/2'' 90 at the wall and used his furnished valve.

rick.

i know they don't sell my fluidmaster pro brass ballcocks there
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                robert i hope you meant to say a gas flex connector and valve. i know you've been working hard and late

i don't believe, and hope they don't sell csst at home depot or any other hardware store (corrigated stainless steel tubing). aka gastite, tracpipe, wardflex. in my order of preference

i had a job yesterday that the owner vought new appliances and the freestanding 30'' range was supplied with a 1/2'' od flex and 1/2'' fip x flare gas cock. i was prepared to install a 3/4'' 90 degree gas cock but the owner wanted to use the 1/2'' instead. the rating was good for 71,000 btu's at 30'' length. so i installed a 3/4'' x 1/2'' 90 at the wall and used his furnished valve.

rick.

i know they don't sell my fluidmaster pro brass ballcocks there
                OF COURSE I MEAN'T GAS FLEX, I didn't mean trac pipe, wardflex or gas tite, thats for sure Rick, you know the yellow coated gas flex lines, what material are they made of??
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

older gas flexes were made of brass. in the last 25 years plus, they are made of stainless. the yellow coated ones are epoxy coated to protect them.

soldering flux is very corrosive to stainless. especially around a water heater install where you're likely to be soldering near a flex line.

although a gas flex is a stainlees steel assembly. it's not considered csst.

you did scare me when you mentioned csst was avaliable at h.d.

they already sell cpvc and pex there. along with sharkbite.

but they don't sell propress and my brass fluidmaster ballcocks, yet

how do i know i was there looking at a fitting for you saturday night

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Rick, I know what I mean't, I am sure the poster knew what I mean't, I just chose to use the wrong terminology

I never call them CSST gas flex, although I know it is stainless I just thought I would be smart
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Rick, are those new brass fluidmaster ballcocks that much better? Cause I just bought a case of the regular ones! :?
                      Last edited by TomSV650; 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X