Taco pump failed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taco pump failed?

I have an old solar panel hot water system. The heat exchanger is a tube-in-tube type exchanger. There is a Taco 006-BC2 Bronze Cartridge Circulator in this system to circulate the potable water loop. It is a brown pump, see the photos here please: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007/

The system was not in use for more than 1 year and was winterized until July. I just bought the house and tried to make the system working. The solar fluid closed loop works fine and the pipe can be very hot during the day time but the potable water loop doesn’t work.

After did some testing, I found the brown Taco pump did not running. There was no any noise from it but it became warm and then hot after a while after switch on. That means the power was on but somehow it did not work.

It was not in use for more than 1 year. It got stuck is one possible reason. I rapped it several times but still the same.

Because the system was winterized, the potable water loop could be empty. If nothing inside the pipe instead of air, will it cause the Taco pump stop working?

Any suggestions? Please help. It will be very hard to replace a pump there because there is no space and we have to take the entire system down and ….

Thanks,

James

Re: Taco pump failed?

Originally posted by lmei007 View Post
    I have an old solar panel hot water system. The heat exchanger is a tube-in-tube type exchanger. There is a Taco 006-BC2 Bronze Cartridge Circulator in this system to circulate the potable water loop. It is a brown pump, see the photos here please: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007/

The system was not in use for more than 1 year and was winterized until July. I just bought the house and tried to make the system working. The solar fluid closed loop works fine and the pipe can be very hot during the day time but the potable water loop doesn’t work.

After did some testing, I found the brown Taco pump did not running. There was no any noise from it but it became warm and then hot after a while after switch on. That means the power was on but somehow it did not work.

It was not in use for more than 1 year. It got stuck is one possible reason. I rapped it several times but still the same.

Because the system was winterized, the potable water loop could be empty. If nothing inside the pipe instead of air, will it cause the Taco pump stop working?

Any suggestions? Please help. It will be very hard to replace a pump there because there is no space and we have to take the entire system down and ….

Thanks,

James
    the pump uses water as a lubricant and will quickly freeze up if run dry. you can replace the cartridge its easy to get at from what I see in pic.
    Last edited by BILLG; 08-15-2007, 11:19 PM. Reason: add info.

Comment

Always purge you system before you turn recirc-pumps on, the water keeps them going. It dosen't look like a big deal to remove that one, just unbolt the screws and pull the back half off, the cast body can stay in place. once open, check the cast body for debris and build up. Once the new one is installed, please turnt the water on and run the system before you turn the pump on
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Always purge you system before you turn recirc-pumps on, the water keeps them going. It dosen't look like a big deal to remove that one, just unbolt the screws and pull the back half off, the cast body can stay in place. once open, check the cast body for debris and build up. Once the new one is installed, please turnt the water on and run the system before you turn the pump on
        Thank you guys. I will try to replace the catridge.

But there is still another hard thing I need to figure out how to do it. That is how to fill some water in the loop before I turn the pump on. I don't know how to do it right now because it is a closed loop and there is no fill valve or drain valve for this loop. And the loop starts and ends inside the hot water tank. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
        X