Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot water storage

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any advice with the following questions.

Is it possiblel to get an insulated hot water storage tank that will keep the water hot for 3/4 days?

Also is it possible to use the stored water for space heating?

I have an incinerator that only operates twice a week but has the capacity to heat up 6000L of water to 80 deg C each time. How would one set up the system so that it would supply hot water to one house 50m away and provide hot water and space heating to another house 200m away.

Does water for space heating have to operate in a closed system.

Thanks for any bit of help or advice,
    PipingMad

Re: hot water storage

Originally posted by PipingMad View Post
    Hi all,

Is it possiblel to get an insulated hot water storage tank that will keep the water hot for 3/4 days? Yes, I haven't done the math but I'm guessing you would lose about 10-15 degrees fahrenheit every day from standy loss.

Also is it possible to use the stored water for space heating? Would have to be a huge tank and as supplemental heat only.

I have an incinerator that only operates twice a week but has the capacity to heat up 6000L 1550 Gallons? of water to 80 deg C 175 F? each time. How would one set up the system so that it would supply hot water to one house 50m 165 feet? away and provide hot water and space heating to another house 200m 655 feet? away. You could use the heated water for domestic but with the infrequency of the firing of the incinerator not really useful for space heating. You are the engineer; draw it up and let's have a look

Does water for space heating have to operate in a closed system. No, but need to know what medium you are using.

PipingMad
    Had to do some metric conversions before I answered.

Comment

Originally posted by PipingMad View Post
      Hi all,

Is it possiblel to get an insulated hot water storage tank that will keep the water hot for 3/4 days?
      I know a superstor will hold very well...looses a very small percentage over long periods of time, I've had to heat one up, then disconnect the boiler for inspection at 5pm, go back the next morning at 8:am and still over 110 degree's, look under "Heat Transfer Products" online
      Also is it possible to use the stored water for space heating?
      I wouldn't suggest trying it for heat without a primary heat source ...major BTU loss on heating (you're an engineer...right?)
      I have an incinerator that only operates twice a week but has the capacity to heat up 6000L of water to 80 deg C each time. How would one set up the system so that it would supply hot water to one house 50m away and provide hot water and space heating to another house 200m away.
      You could consider using the incinerator in conjunction with storage tanks and a primary system if you're looking to save on energy bills, but installing something custom like that wouldn't be cheap.
      There are combo wood burning boilers that work that way, but you'd have to do research, and check with local codes before investing the time in the first place.
      Does water for space heating have to operate in a closed system.
      Yes, NOT a good idea to drink the water that has been through a boilers heat exchanger/heat lines, and potable water tends to have high oxygen content, which drastically reduces the life of the exchanger.
      PipingMad

Comment

LOL...didn't notice Plumberscrack's reply....same relative answer, different words.

Also...seeing the he clarified the actual distances...there would be major heat loss running lines over that distance.

Comment

Must be a petroleum transfer engineer.....
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Good to see we both on same page

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
              Haven't seen one of those in 15 years.We don't have full service at any of our gas stations anymore.

Big Pipe, ..reaching out? .

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                Your association reminds me of a guy or whatever IT was.

We were in framing stage of a custom hm.All the trades were kicking at lunch time in one of the larger entertainment rooms.And in walks this thing in girls jeans,loafers and some type of see through tank top,I mean if your eyes were closed and you heard his voice no problem,a male.Beleive me you shouldn't have opened your eyes.

Anyway he was a Portrait Suspension Technician,and proud of it.

Sorry for interupting,I don't know alot about Incinerators,mediums and such.
                I mean no insult PIPING MAD
                Please continue

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Anyway he was a Portrait Suspension Technician,and proud of it.

I have no idea what that is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I have no idea what that is
                    You need to spend some time out here with the alternative lifestyle folk in the city

Comment

I don't know either but my guess is a picture hanger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the 70's when solar was popular there were designs that used large tanks to store hot water for circulating for space heating, through radiators.

most were insulated and in ground or in a basement room, Never saw one in actual use, only some basic drawings,

I suppose one could figure what the max temperature you could heat the water to, via the boiler run time, and the heat loss of the tank, and then the minimum temp that the water could be usable at, and figure the storage capacity of the water from the differential of the two temperatures, and then figure the BTU's needed for the house or space to heat, and then design the tank size, and if the boiler could heat that much water for your co generation idea,

the idea of the solar was to provide heat for a day or two when cloud cover, was present, (and the mediums used was air, and water, and mass), both air and water systems were designed and said to be workable, but that was from a sales point of view. (as most solar heating systems were dismantled and scraped after a few years, as either as not efficient as indicated or more complicated to operate than desired)

but then to make a solar house to work the first step was to superinsulated the structure so that it nearly did not need much heat in the first place, IT has been nearly 25 to 30 years now that I studied the systems out, and I have little of the literature left, (as most companies that were doing it folded as soon as the tax credits expired).

It is probably if designed properly a doable system but how long on pay back and how effective of a system would it be is the question.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and sorry to the person who did the metric conversions. I will remember for next time. I usually work in metric. And ye easily spotted that plumbing isnt my area of engineering expertise

Comment

This is a damn good topic, I'm reading w/great interest. My dad has brought this topic up w/me many times as a conversation, so I'm sort of watching to see what others have to say about this topic and compare notes.
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            Haven't seen one of those in 15 years.We don't have full service at any of our gas stations anymore.

Big Pipe, ..reaching out? .
                            You horrible person.

Also, regarding your "portrait technician" story, I was stationed in SD in the Navy...me n' a bunch of the guys rented a car...drove blind till we saw a night club ...we saw pretty ladies all over the place!
                            It was all good till we got to the mens room...gal walks in, I say "hey...you're invited, but..er...ya know dis is da mens room, right?"
                            She says "YUP..I know" with a voice as deep as James Earl Jones, goes over to the urinal and does "her" thing.
                            I was cool to hang, there were real ladies there, but two guys from NYC refused...we hadda go.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                              This is a damn good topic, I'm reading w/great interest. My dad has brought this topic up w/me many times as a conversation, so I'm sort of watching to see what others have to say about this topic and compare notes.
                              Me too,That's kinda why I think I was a little premature with the distracting subject.

I have some questions for later on the incinerator topic after the forum has addressed PIPING MAD's line items.

Comment

Working...
                              X