X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this small thing?

Please see the photo attached (click it to get a bigger image). I don't know what is that small stuff? I guess it is used to drain water off the pipe. Can I use it as a filling point to push some water into the pipe?
    Attached Files

Re: What is this small thing?

non professional guess. they are 2 different things. bottom one is a cap where the line was terminiated. Top one is some other type of screw in cap. (very professional terms I have for these things) I am probably at least 50% wrong so we will wait for someone who really knows.

Josh

Comment

One is a copper cap, the other brass "cap" is either a bleed off valve or another type of cap, I am going to go with a possible bleed off valve, can't really see it too well.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        One is a copper cap, the other brass "cap" is either a bleed off valve or another type of cap, I am going to go with a possible bleed off valve, can't really see it too well.
        Both are the same shap and use the same material, I think. What is the bleed off valve for? When I should use it or open it?

Comment

may have had temp gauges there and they leaked, so they capped them off.

Comment

Don't seem to be as common anymore but they both look like PT Ports to me.

They are installed in hydronic systems to allow a temperature (or pressure) probe or the business end of a dial type thermometer to be inserted into the line to measure the temp (or pressure) for balancing. These would be used instead of installing a permanent indicator as they are only needed for balancing the system. They are ususally 1/4" NPT. You unscrew the cap and underneath is a neoprene plug which has a small hole in it. You insert your instrument through the hole to take a masurement. When done pull it out and screw the cap back on.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Don't seem to be as common anymore but they both look like PT Ports to me.

They are installed in hydronic systems to allow a temperature (or pressure) probe or the business end of a dial type thermometer to be inserted into the line to measure the temp (or pressure) for balancing. These would be used instead of installing a permanent indicator as they are only needed for balancing the system. They are ususally 1/4" NPT. You unscrew the cap and underneath is a neoprene plug which has a small hole in it. You insert your instrument through the hole to take a masurement. When done pull it out and screw the cap back on.
              i say it is the same thing PT port ,i have 6 on my truck and do not use them any more. i use a temp gage or a pressure gage
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                You unscrew the cap and underneath is a neoprene plug which has a small hole in it. You insert your instrument through the hole to take a masurement. When done pull it out and screw the cap back on.
                You are right. There is a small hole in it.

Comment

Working...
                X