Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump vs. sewage pump

Hey, guys,

The pump for our laundry discharge sump pit just went kaput after 33 years, so I have no knowledge or experience with this stuff. I cleaned out the sump pit and went to buy a sump pump, which was what was there for all these years. When I got there, the guy that was helping me told me that I needed a sewage pump, so I bought one. Got home and noticed on the box that it said it had a 2-3" discharge. The discharge piping in my house is 1 1/2". I thought this might burn out the motor by making it work too hard, so I returned to the store to ask about it. Another guy there told me that I didn't need a sewage pump, and so I returned it and bought a sump pump, which was what was there all these years. I get back home, start reading the manual, and it says it's not for laundry discharge.

My question is this: What difference does it make? I thought sewage pumps were used to handle solids, and my sump pit is used strictly for my laundry discharge water (no solids). Which pump should I use?

I'd appreciate any input I can get on this. Thanks!
    Last edited by greekchick; 08-18-2007, 06:59 PM. Reason: just to clarify

Re: sump pump vs. sewage pump

typically the 1.5'' sump pump can handle a washing machine discharge. the issue is in the bottom grate assy that can plug when lint is dumped into it. most sump pumps can handle solids up to .33'' the laundry is clean water except that the lint will get caught in the grate and can get wrapped around the impeller.

a zoller m53 line of pump is a typical 1.5'' sump pump and a zoller m267 is a 2'' ejector pump.

33 years is great and hard to believe. i would duplicate the pump you had and be set for life.

personally, i would use the sump pump m53 in my application. maybe even remove the grate to prevent lint from catching.

just my opinion as i don't have any installations that are just laundry machines.

rick.

welcome and stick around as the females are in short supply here.

joey is tied up and zeljka is manning up
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would go with a zoeller 267, but if you only have a 11/2 discharge, replace it with a sump pump, like rick said, go with the one you pulled out, 33 years........ maybe you wouldn't mind telling us the manufacturer??

thanks, and welcome to the forum
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        I would go with a zoeller 267, but if you only have a 11/2 discharge, replace it with a sump pump, like rick said, go with the one you pulled out, 33 years........ maybe you wouldn't mind telling us the manufacturer??

thanks, and welcome to the forum
        YES I HAVE USED A ZOELLER M-53 WITH 11/2" DISCHARGE PUMP OUT LAUNDRY DRAINS, IF YOU HAVE THE PUT A COUPLE OF SMALL BRICKS UNDER THE PUMP TO KEEP THE INTAKES OUT OF THE SLUDGE THAT BUILDS UP ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PIT OVER TIME,

Jerrymac Masterplumber Master Drainman

Welcome to the forum!!
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
          YES I HAVE USED A ZOELLER M-53 WITH 11/2" DISCHARGE PUMP OUT LAUNDRY DRAINS, IF YOU HAVE THE PUT A COUPLE OF SMALL BRICKS UNDER THE PUMP TO KEEP THE INTAKES OUT OF THE SLUDGE THAT BUILDS UP ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PIT OVER TIME,

Jerrymac Masterplumber Master Drainman

Welcome to the forum!!
          This is not meant to be sarcastic,But won't lifting the pump just mean more sludge at a later time that would have to be removed

Welcome to the forum G/C
          Last edited by drtyhands; 08-19-2007, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            This is not meant to be sarcastic,But won't lifting the pump just mean more sludge at a later time that would have to be removed

Welcome to the forum G/C

When the water falls into the pit, it sturs up the sludge, then the pump sucks it out, if you just drop it in, no bricks, it will always be in the sludge and not work properly.

Hope it makes since, all in all, it just works better on bricks or legs like the zoeller pumps have
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Welcome to the forum G/C
              No see westcoast post, by the time the sludge builds up to that point your pump needs to be serviced, other wise the sludge will build up
              and clog your inlet ports if you have the space i put a 1/2 8"
              cinder block under the pump and always remember your in line check valve

JERRYMAC MASTER PLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Make good use of your shop vac. Clean out the sump and the pump inlet with it. Also, using aluminum window screen and a little doing make up a big sive like device to strain the lint out of the water before it reaches the pump inlet. Be sure the make your strainer easy to pull out and clean off. This is where your shop vac can come in handy again.

Comment

Wow, what a warm welcome!

First of all, thanks to all of you who responded to me. I thought you guys would take a look at my question, have a good chuckle, and move on. So, I really appreciate that you took the time to answer.

I'm sure many of you are curious, as I was, as to the maufacturer of my previous sump pump (which, by the way, was older than I am). Unfortunately, it was so corroded that I couldn't find any info on it. I guess it will just remain a mystery...

Just curious - How often should I be cleaning out my sump?

And when you said, "always remember your in line check valve", did you mean the check valve on the discharge pipe? I've already changed that. Was there something else I was supposed to do?

Thanks again...You guys are great!

Comment

Originally posted by greekchick View Post
                    Wow, what a warm welcome!

First of all, thanks to all of you who responded to me. I thought you guys would take a look at my question, have a good chuckle, and move on. So, I really appreciate that you took the time to answer.

you did ask a legitimate question and you got real answers.

I'm sure many of you are curious, as I was, as to the maufacturer of my previous sump pump (which, by the way, was older than I am). Unfortunately, it was so corroded that I couldn't find any info on it. I guess it will just remain a mystery...

Just curious - How often should I be cleaning out my sump?

well seeing it lasted 30 years, i would keep doing the same thing. if you do have a shop vac/ wet-dry. it will be a simple task to suck out the muck without removing the pump and making a project out of it.

And when you said, "always remember your in line check valve", did you mean the check valve on the discharge pipe? I've already changed that. Was there something else I was supposed to do?

keep on posting you got us guys fighting to answer

if you take a photo of your installation, it will be easier to answer or identify the pump.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

keep on posting you got us guys fighting to answer

Rick you were the only one that was fighting for the answer..

Why don't you tell her to hire a plumber?

Ps-hope joey appreciates what a non -flirt husband she has

Comment

Working...
                      X