Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jet swet/freeze kits.....under pressure?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet swet/freeze kits.....under pressure?

I am remodeling a bath for family and I have water I need shut off to sweat in a shutoff valve, but I have to wait a week to be turned off by appointment. I need to be back in my state within the next week so.......
    1. Can I use Jet swet under pressure? dont' know the pressure but I have kitchen sink, 2 bath sinks, 2 toilet valves I can open. Is this possible? i heard some plumbers say they have on other forums.
    2. how do you check the pressure incoming to each apartment? I know you can buy the gauges that can be screwed into sillcock, can this be done by means of faucet, this is shared water condo they don't have individual shut offs or hot water heaters but a big pump. Im not from this state and never had to deal with this cause shut off were readily avaliable. I think this is stupid but thats just my opinion.
    3. Is there a local place I can buy jetswet near/in olney maryland. What about freeze kits, heard they can be used under pressure, its a 1/2" copper line. But hear these kits are expensive, know where I can get hands on a used set OR any place that RENTS either one of these items surrounding Olney maryland(Montgomery county)

Re: Jet swet/freeze kits.....under pressure?

i wouldn't take the chance with a jet sweat even thought they are suppose to hold 60#.

freezing is the way i do it. as far as a rental unit, good luck. why not hire a plumber with the equipment and be finished.

i charge less than $200 to freeze a pipe and even less when there are more than 1. you are not in the position to experiment in a condo.

that's my opinion.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I would take Ricks advice and hire a pro for this one (who is licensed and bonded). Think what could happen if "you" attempt this and it fails and floods, it could get real expensive in a hurry.

Comment

The risk/reward is too great. I also would not advise it.

First check with the condo management I'm sure they work with a local plumber that's familiar with the building. Having someone like that could save you some time and money.

Olney is about 5 miles outside of my service area but give Cropp Metcalf a call. I know they also use freezing equipment.

United Rental, Sunbelt Rental both have the equipment but I warn you it's not for amateurs.
        Last edited by plumberscrack; 08-21-2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

yeh I realize the risk, thats why Im doing all my research before even attempting. I may have another solution that I may do alltogether, posting pictures and its taking me while to get them compressed to be able to attached to this thing.

Sit tight and maybe my other solution will be better. I have thought about hiring a plumber, not a real big deal however I love to do things myself which is mostly how I got to be where I am. Now lets say I hired a plumber thats $200.00 for the cold water pipe, then perhaps another $50.00-$100.00 for the hot, cause they both need to be done. So $300.00 to call/setup appointemnt, wait and HOPE they can get here same day/next day at least and thats pray thats all they charge. The freeze kits start at somewhere around $550.00 new? Seen them cheaper, seen them higher, seen them low as $250.00 used. What I pay to have it done I could have me a nice toy to mess around with if i'm ever stuck in this situation again. Don't get me wrong the houses I remodel and build I on occassion sub out majority of hvac/electical/plumbing cause its much easier to do so on a large scale. But I also know their trade and how it goes together so I don't get screwed by another tradesman from shoddy work or being overcharged. I have had issues of hiring a professionals and not showing up or late, sloppy work. Some I had were great and some are not so great. So on jobs like this i'd rather do myself, on bigger scale I'd definitly pass the buck along. But then again I may just hire someone just to see how its done, I love learning new things, and THANKFULLY I live in the era of the world wide web

thanks
          shawn

Comment

cool thanx, P. crack
            i'll give cropp metcalf a call to see what they can do 4 me, if my other plan don't work out.

Comment

well your lucky the dog is not around he would be barking up a storm on this one
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I've already asked the question on the forum. Do some research. My case was different. Just because you have the money for plumbing tools does not make you one. I'm not saying that's your intention. Just making a statement. Hire a plumber and get it done right.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

thats why i do not work on my own cars .i could figure it out but it is not worth my time so i take it to the pro's
                  Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                    thats why i do not work on my own cars .i could figure it out but it is not worth my time so i take it to the pro's
                    I've retrofitted a chevy 6.2 diesel with gas 350 with tranny.Now it's hard to motivate myself to change anti-freeze annually.

But I do know what krazie's talking about.I do some framing with the right tools as Rick does welding with the proper tools

Comment

your right i do some things my self but i do know when it is safe to have some help from a pro .
                      Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

your right i do some things my self but i do know when it is safe to have some help from a pro .
                        AAAHHHH,dang it,I forgot its a condo.Thanks for reminding me Hawk.

Comment

i'm always nervous when i freeze pipes. especially inside of a building.

fortunately, i've never had 1 melt

i've had a few not freeze, but i know before i attempt to cut the line.

i would not take a chance at it. especially since he has never done it before. it's not rocket science, but he has no first hand experience in pipe freezing.

i'm sure ridigid would be thrilled to sell you a machine. super freeze 2500.
                          and demo it. but then again it's no $250.00 machine. more like $2700.00

rick.

p.s. isn't missouri the "show me state" get someone to show you before you have to call your insurance co.
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM. Reason: p.s.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Kraze View Post
                            yeh I realize the risk, thats why Im doing all my research before even attempting. I may have another solution that I may do alltogether, posting pictures and its taking me while to get them compressed to be able to attached to this thing.

Sit tight and maybe my other solution will be better. I have thought about hiring a plumber, not a real big deal however I love to do things myself which is mostly how I got to be where I am. Now lets say I hired a plumber thats $200.00 for the cold water pipe, then perhaps another $50.00-$100.00 for the hot, cause they both need to be done. So $300.00 to call/setup appointemnt, wait and HOPE they can get here same day/next day at least and thats pray thats all they charge. The freeze kits start at somewhere around $550.00 new? Seen them cheaper, seen them higher, seen them low as $250.00 used. What I pay to have it done I could have me a nice toy to mess around with if i'm ever stuck in this situation again. Don't get me wrong the houses I remodel and build I on occassion sub out majority of hvac/electical/plumbing cause its much easier to do so on a large scale. But I also know their trade and how it goes together so I don't get screwed by another tradesman from shoddy work or being overcharged. I have had issues of hiring a professionals and not showing up or late, sloppy work. Some I had were great and some are not so great. So on jobs like this i'd rather do myself, on bigger scale I'd definitly pass the buck along. But then again I may just hire someone just to see how its done, I love learning new things, and THANKFULLY I live in the era of the world wide web

thanks
                            shawn

I didn't read word by word about the cost, do me a favor, take the total cost a plumber is going to charge you, keep that on your mind, try it yourself, now, something happens as it always can, say the ice plug blows out, floods the unit, yours and the neighbors, hmmmmmm add that cost up, the ding on your insurance if they cover it, and the nice lawsuits that will come along with it, and if I was your insurance company, when you call the claim in, I will say, your not covered, should have called a plumber
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Yeh gear junkie..I hear what your saying, and it does hold true. I did do research thats how I found this place. Before research I didnt' know what the heck jet swet or you could freeze pipes for repair, just never been around that situation. I would never EVER claim to be a plumber, I have plumbed sunken jacuzi tubs and installed septic systems, done drain tile, and sump pumps but still will not claim to be a true plumber. However I own a aircompressor with 3 framing nailers, doesnt' make me a framer but let me tell you what its a great tool to have. I even got permission from me fiance and got a cordless paslode...I now wonder how I ever done without it, do not miss dragging that heavy air compressor on those small jobs. I own concrete forms, pigtails, oil sprayers, rebar cutters but im not a concrete contractor, I own EVERY drywall tool you can own short of the automatic taping tools but Im not a drywaller. I own roof torch, roofing nailers, and shingle conveyor but not a roofer, I own fish tapes, conduit benders, phone line and cable tools, testers/multimeters but im not an electrician. I own augers, tubing cutters, soldering equipment but im definitly not a plumber.
                              But actually I do majority of my own automotive work, I own a welder taught myself how to use it in my spare time, using books and internet and posting questions, and mostly practice I even made money and paid for my equipment by welding things for others. I put engines and transmissions, own a whole bunch of automotive tools and let me tell you I have alot of tools that collect dust. I don't use a spring compressor that often(once only) but I own it. And Im definitly not a mechanic, I dont even want to work on my cars but I do. I even had to buy this special tool to install this Kohler sink it cost me $75.00. Who better to do the job than yourself? I trust my work 100% more than anybody else, But I know what I am confident in and not. I hate renting things with a PASSION! I hate throwing money away. I think once I get a good collection Im goign to open up a rental shop, just renting each tool out once or twice its paid for. But I live by the old saying "Give a man to fish feed him for a day, Teach a man to fish feed him for life" I want to be fed for life I'm not someone who is going to call a plumber at 2am to fix a pipe that burst, or cause a branch fell on your roof and punctured a hole. There are people who will, but its not my way cause I believe I carry higher standards than those who have people cut their grass, yes its nice not having to do it, But i own a lawnmower.
                              yes its the show me state, and I love my moto, lol. I dont' want to mess with the freezing because I dont' know how it works and never messed with it. I was just using that as last resort, fortunalty I think I decided since the faucet hardware is able to be changed out thats the best way. I have done ALOT of things without being shown in person, I do alot of research and fortuanatly catch onto thing fairly easy. But I can pretty much assure you my insurance company doesnt' want a phone call from me. I might in future get me freeze kit and practice with a supply that has shutoff just in case. ...just like the welder, didnt' happen the first time I know that! da** wrong metal don't weld together easily
                              The $250.00 machine was small freezing kit, it was used on amazon I believe I found it. didn't include the freon gas. But some of the kits did 3/8-2" pipe and was around $500.00 said froze copper pipes?
                              All I got to say is I learned some things, 1. all places should have mandatory shutoff valves for EVERY home. 2. pipes can be frozen to make repairs, go figure huh. Not knowing this definitly makes me no plumber..
                              hope my short novel makes sense......I respect what you guys do, and work with your trade all the time.

Kraze..

P.s. whos dog? should I be scared? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X