Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump advice needed.

hello,
    My basement floods after heavy rain. I initially thought it was the gutters
    or drainage of the property. so I took care of both of these problems.
    the basement flooded last night and this time I was able to see where the water was coming from. the water level rises on the property
    and then seeps into my basement where the wall and floor meet.
    I want to get a sump pit but I dont know anything about sump pumps.
    my basement is 925 sq feet. i want to know if one pump will take care of the flooding problem. also what type of pump should I get? submersible or pedestal? I live in pennsylvania and one contractor wanted to charge me 7000$ for 2 pumps. I thought this was a little outrageous. thanks for any help you can give.

Re: sump pump advice needed.

I want to let the serious plumbers answer about the sump pump, but do you have a floor drain or a toilet in the basement? If yes to either unless you have one now, you would do well to get a good shop vac. Unless you have "The Perfect Floor" you'll be wanting it every time you get water in your basement regardless of the pumps. You might do better to find someone that does concrete and stone work to make you a nice sump and then have a good plumber advise you and install the pump and discharge pipe work. I have in mind that most likely you'll need some work on the floor to get the water to run into the sump and a nice BIG sump is far better than a little plastic one. A good pump moves lots of water fast. Too small of a sump and the pump will be switching on and off all the time.

Question: Can you give some idea of about how much water comes into your basement under a worst case situation like if it really rains hard for a full day or two?

Comment

yesterday it rained all day and all night. and this morning I had about 3 inches of water. keep in mind that the ground before yesterday was not at its saturation point. it had not rained for about 2 weeks. worst case scenario
      4 inches. thanks

Comment

My advice is call several waterproofing companys and get some estimates.

Be sure to compare warranties and how long these people have been in business. Some won't warrant water coming in above floor.

My guess is you can find a cheaper price than $7000 but it's not outrageous for that size basement.

Don't just get someone to install a sump and pump and walk away. There's no value in that.

Comment

I just read your second post.

4" of water in a 900 sq foot basement?

You really need a GOOD waterproofer not a plumber.

Get a couple of submersibles with battery backups

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I just read your second post.

4" of water in a 900 sq foot basement?

You really need a GOOD waterproofer not a plumber.

Get a couple of submersibles with battery backups
            100% with PC. Start the work on your out side and do it right. Drain tiles, water proofing, insulate the wall since you have to dig anyhow. Call at least 3 different Licensed Waterproofing Contractors for bids. Also get the right Excavator, they will be doing the digging and backfilling. This is where your problem is at. If you have broken blocks or cracks, be sure they are repaired properly. I do not have anything good to say about the inside channel waterproofing, so I am suggesting the outside to be tackled. Also don't forget about a building permit, you will need one. You can also find a General Contractor who will organize everything for you for a fee or possibly be able to do everything for you. Good Luck.

Mark
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Scooby

Do you have a hill near your house that water can run down either at or below ground level? I really think you need to deal with this outdoors first. Look for standing water near your house and get rid of it. Also do your best to figure where the water is coming into your basement from. I think before you are done you'll want to contact a good yard drainage company and also a landscaper to be sure the dirt in your yard is graded so water runs away and not toward the house.

If you are in the central or eastern PA area it's been very dry all summer. If one day of good rain results in 3 inches of water all over the basement floor think of what a few days of hard rain would be like.

I think you'll still want one or more good sumps and pumps, but you really need to deal with this water issue outside if you can. I had to get a landscaper to dig up my yard and install several 12 x 12 inch (grate size) drain boxes and connect them with 4" corrogated pipe and run that out to the curb. What a change that made.

I wasn't having water in the basement but my stairwell drain couldn't handle a heavy rain as the back yard flooded during a hard rain. I also piped the downspout (from gutters) water out to the curb too.

Much of PA has very rocky soil and water runs though it quickly.

PCrack and Garager have the right idea but also look for surface water problems that could be run somewhere other than your basement which is a huge sump come to think about it.

Question: Is this a real old farm house that used to have a dirt floor and the walls are made of rocks? I have seen a good many of them in PA and Western, MD.
              Last edited by Woussko; 08-21-2007, 06:18 PM.

Comment

My house is a ranch one story. It is located on a slight hill and I mean really slight. If I go about 20 feet from where the water comes in at. the property drops off with a creek about 5 feet below ground level.. there is not alot of standing water around the house itself . I was told that perhaps the problem is that the basement is lower than or at the same level than the property where the drain pipes drain the water .does that make any sense? I dont know if I explained it right.

Comment

let me also add that my house is the last house on the street and it is a cul de sac. the street slopes and the last place the water can go is on my property. so I am the bottom of the hill.

Comment

Drill a hole and check for standing water, not in one day time, over a period of time and watch it. I'm sure no matter what the scenario is, your going to have to tackle your wall or move out later. This is not a cheap fix, but it can save some serious problems if done sooner than later. I'm sure you have mold all over your basement now and that is not a good thing for anyones health. Whether water is coming from rain a broken water pipe a river, whatever. Your foundation is the heart of your house.
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hi,
                      thanks for your help. I have a contractor coming today. he has recommended that I dig down around the foundation and replace the french drains and then throw shale on it and back fill. Is he on the right track or should I have something different done? I dont want a possible solution I want one that is going to work. thanks

Comment

Make sure your walls are not cracked at that time, if they are get them patched and water proof the walls. Power wash your walls first then apply the water proofing. I would also insulate the walls since you already have it drenched out, but thats up to you. If you live in a cold area, you really should. I hope you called more then one Contractor and that they are all licensed, go with who you feel is right and not the cheapest. Don't want to see you get taken by a fly by nighter.

Comment

thanks for your help. I have called a couple of contractors and they will be giving me estimates. they are liscensed. I am going to water proof the outside of the foundation with eco-flex. do you think that I should also
                          waterproof the basement walls or is that not necessary? thanks

Comment

Eco-flex should work just fine for you, as long as you get it done right. Take a little extra precaution from footings to blocks location, this is where it needs a little care attention. Your doing everything just right, and I'm sure everyone here is glad your not trying to cut corners, so good job and good luck and keep us updated when things are done or even during the job.

Comment

thanks to everyone. I appreciate the advice and hopefully this will solve the problem. I will keep you updated to let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X