Problem with toilet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with toilet

I beleive it a floor flange sitting on top of a pipe. I trying to post pics.

Comment

Hey a little side note steveleb,
      Little sister resides in irving.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Hawk,

This is only from my experience.

The Wax is the only seal I have used for floor mount W/C.The foam is the only seal I have seen yet for wall mounted W/Cs and Urinals.Unfortunately I do not even know why they don't use wax on verical surfaces.

Maybe in the past somewhere there was an outbreak of technitions running hot water to toilets and urinals thereby melting the wax

On the issue of stacking waxes I like to use the (funnelled) ring above the standard ring to assist in keeping both rings aligned during compression.

Now I'm not so sure about having the sleeve so close to the porceline outlet as another poster on a previous thread said he does not beleive they should not be used at all.

But in the time it takes me to write this post I have thought about it and am going back to my original thought that I don't want the rings slipping off each other and causing a home damaging leak.I have done 100's of deep wax installations with this process and have not had issues with stoppages due to the sleeve interfering with the toilet outlet.

Adam

p.s I wonder if there is a possibility of the foam decomposing over time?
        Just a thought on the foam ring. Maybe it's for vertical applications because those fixtures have more movement than floor mounted unit. The foam will spring back to shape where the wax ring won't.

On a side note, I did a job for a rather large lady who lived in a trailer park. She's had her toilet reset 3 times by 2 different plumbers. The problem was that her floor flexed when she sat on the toilet due to her weight causing the wax seal to break. I installed a foam ring it hasn't leaked since.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Glad I had the leak. I removed the toilet to find the wax ring has been leaking on to the floor rotting the part of the subfloor and also toally rusting out the metal part of the flange. How do you replace the flange and would you replace it with a plastic flange.

Comment

I am assuming you have 4"I.D. plastic?

Comment

Originally posted by steveleb View Post
              Rick I did use a plastic spacer when I tiled my floor. What the best thing to use to raise the flange up.
              adam, very good thought process with the wax and horn. i do the same thing with doubling up the wax and flange.

since your flange is metal and rotted. i assume you have an adjustable metal ring over a plastic flange.

there is now a stainless steel replacement ring and is designed to snap around the existing plastic flange. not sure of the product name or maker.

there is also a complete plastic flange with a stainless ring too. this involves cutting out the old flange. a much more involved process. the last item is an internal ring that expands as you tighten the internal bolts. this will decrease the opening down from 4'' to 3''. not a great great thing, but a quick and easy to install item.

glad you caught the leak before the floor rotted. test the fix prior to caulking the toilet to the floor. even if it takes a week before you caulk.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

How would yo go about cutting out the flange? Would you saw verticaly into the flange until you come to the down pipe? My terminology migt be a bit off.

Comment

Lot of work cutting stuff,if I new for a fact that you had 4" pipe size(actual inside diameter)I would go a easier route.

Comment

What I would try first is to cut the hub of the flange until you hit the verticle drain line that the flange is connected to, take a flat head screw driver and try to split the old hub off the pipe.

since the closet bend has to be replaced anyways, you have nothing to loose, I have been able to split the old hubs off ABS pipe either due to age, lack of ABS solvent weld cement or just plain luck.

If your drain work is pvc, I bet you will have a better chance because pvc is glued toghether rather then melted toghether like ABS pipe.

If the pipe rips off with the hub of the flange, then you will have to open the ceiling and cut the closet bend and replace with a section of pipe and the correct fittings, which, if you get a picture I will be able to list for you.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

westcoast,
                      why does he have to replace anything.if he would tell us what he has then we would know what to tell him to do.

even though the 4" hub-size closet ring is the most common most of us have seen many different cofigurations.

the strangest i've seen is a 3" spigoting closet ring into a long turn(plastic).below floor in raised foundation.

there is a easy remedy on the ring if it is a true 4" pipe size riser.

Comment

http://video.oneshotonekill.net:8081/steve/P1010111.jpg
                        http://video.oneshotonekill.net:8081/steve/P1010110.jpg

Here are to pics. The inside diameter of the flange is 3 in and it is conected to closet bend.

Comment

That looks like a 4 x 3 PVC flange, read my last post, I recommend you try what I suggested. The best way may be to cut out the ceiling, cut the 1/4 bend and use a small piece of 3" pvc, a coupling and then a new 4 x 3 1/4 bend, install a new 4" pvc verticle riser and install a new 4" flange, raise the flange to the top of the tile, your current one looks a little to low. you want a 1/4" on the flange, the tile should sit just below the bottom of the new flange, then make sure you secure the new flange to the floor, it looks like your old one wasn't properly iscrewed to the floor.
                          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-01-2007, 04:13 PM.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

That's a toilet flange?

Where's the rest of it?

The easy solution would be to glue an 'inside the pipe' 3" PVC flange

Not sure it would bring you back up to the proper height though
                            Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Might be the style that has outside metal ring that rotates around for adjustment. maybe on the bottom of toilet now.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                                That looks like a 4 x 3 PVC flange, read my last post, I recommend you try what I suggested. The best way may be to cut out the ceiling, cut the 1/4 bend and use a small piece of 3" pvc, a coupling and then a new 4 x 3 1/4 bend, install a new 4" pvc verticle riser and install a new 4" flange, raise the flange to the top of the tile, your current one looks a little to low. you want a 1/4" on the flange, the tile should sit just below the bottom of the new flange, then make sure you secure the new flange to the floor, it looks like your old one wasn't properly iscrewed to the floor.
                                Yeah, you got lucky on that one.Had he posted a picture of a 4x4x2 the outcome would have been different

Now I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

Working...
                                X