That's a toilet flange?

Where's the rest of it?

The easy solution would be to glue an 'inside the pipe' 3" PVC flange

Not sure it would bring you back up to the proper height though
    I'll have to keep an eye out for those crack.haven't seen one yet

Comment

Re: Problem with toilet

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
      That looks like a 4 x 3 PVC flange, read my last post, I recommend you try what I suggested. The best way may be to cut out the ceiling, cut the 1/4 bend and use a small piece of 3" pvc, a coupling and then a new 4 x 3 1/4 bend, install a new 4" pvc verticle riser and install a new 4" flange, raise the flange to the top of the tile, your current one looks a little to low. you want a 1/4" on the flange, the tile should sit just below the bottom of the new flange, then make sure you secure the new flange to the floor, it looks like your old one wasn't properly iscrewed to the floor.
      In a perfect world that is the proper solution

This is what would happen if I were to do it:

cut the cieling only to find that the 3" 90 is actually a street 90 glued into a 3 x2 wye.

I cut the cieling some more

the wye is glued tight to a verticle sanitary tee going behind a custom made bookshelf.

so now I've got a 3 foot wide hole in his cieling to replace a toilet flange.

now what do I do?

Comment

PC may be referring to something like one of these.

http://www.ezflo.biz/index.php?query...&submit=Search

I'm not sure I like the reduced throat size but it is likely the easiest repair.

If it were my home I would probably remove some ceiling in the bedroom below as it is already water damaged and install a new closet arm and flange. As Robert as posted your flange needs to be raised anyways so why not fix it right and never worry about it again.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          PC may be referring to something like one of these.

http://www.ezflo.biz/index.php?query...&submit=Search

I'm not sure I like the reduced throat size but it is likely the easiest repair.

If it were my home I would probably remove some ceiling in the bedroom below as it is already water damaged and install a new closet arm and flange. As Robert as posted your flange needs to be raised anyways so why not fix it right and never worry about it again.

Mark
          Different brand but same design.

Only in a pinch and instruct the homeowners to keep a plunger nearby

Comment

Mark,

I cannot see you using that product

We are seeing a lot of plastic rings breaking where they hold the closet bolt,o-ring

I am hoping crack was refering to something different.Something solvent weld perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Mark,

I cannot see you using that product
              Good eye because I wouldn't consider using one.

Mark

Comment

I would never use a product like that, never, never, never!!

It just isn't right at all. Do it right the first time

Thats my company motto
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

as i mentioned in an earlier post, they make a replacement repair ring made of stainless that hinges around the existing flange. just can't think of the maker. it might be made by pasco?

you can also attempt to drill out the hub to salvage the fitting. i have a set of special carbide drills that drill out the pipe and salvage the fittings. perfect for this application. made by wheeler rex.

stay away from the 3'' internal expansion flange. a 4'' internal is ok but a 3'' is a stoppage waiting to happen.

the replacement metal ring is designed especially for this application. try looking up "pasco speciality products".

you could always but a replacement flange and strip out the metal ring. the newer style are stainless and will not rot.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

i never used ABS pipe and you say it is welded together ,what do you mean?

does the stuff you use make the pipe soft and then it mends it together
                    Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 09-01-2007, 10:23 PM.
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Hawk,
                      When you weld,as you know,the two pieces are melted together.

the acetone does basically the same thing,when the acetone evaporates out of the joint the two pieces are solvent welded.

I was under the impression p.v.c. glue and primer did the same thing,I need to check on that.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Hawk,
                        When you weld,as you know,the two pieces are melted together.

the acetone does basically the same thing,when the acetone evaporates out of the joint the two pieces are solvent welded.

I was under the impression p.v.c. glue and primer did the same thing,I need to check on that.
                        i'm also under the same impression with pvc too. the primer softens and cleans the pipe and fittings. the glue solvent welds the 2 together.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Adam,

I believe you are correct regarding PVC but not ABS cement. ABS cement is a blend of virgin ABS and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). There was a time where guys would make their own ABS cements with a barrel full of old fittings and some MEK.

Mark

Comment

Sorry Rick we were posting at the same time.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i'm also under the same impression with pvc too. the primer softens and cleans the pipe and fittings. the glue solvent welds the 2 together.

rick.
                              Here's a link to a video on how to use glue and primer. I learned something from watching it just now. For as long as I have been plumbing, I have always thought (and think I was told this in school) that the primer or cleaner should be dry before applying the glue. I have been wrong all these years. Oatey instructs you to apply the glue while the primer is still wet.

Notice how sloppy the guy in the video is with the purple primer. Then while the commenator is telling you not to use too much glue, the guy is wrapping the glue inside a 2" coupling over and over and over as the glue globs out of the fitting.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...ntweld_7mb.wmv

Comment

Originally posted by brucestorey View Post
                                Here's a link to a video on how to use glue and primer. I learned something from watching it just now. For as long as I have been plumbing, I have always thought (and think I was told this in school) that the primer or cleaner should be dry before applying the glue. I have been wrong all these years. Oatey instructs you to apply the glue while the primer is still wet.

Notice how sloppy the guy in the video is with the purple primer. Then while the commenator is telling you not to use too much glue, the guy is wrapping the glue inside a 2" coupling over and over and over as the glue globs out of the fitting.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...ntweld_7mb.wmv

I stand corrected on my Solvent Weld PVC, I thought it only glued toghether, I can't remember where I heard this as it has been such a long time, I wish I could tell the guy who told me. Thanks for teaching me something guy's.

Now, on another note, about the video on the cement, did anyone notice how short those standpipes were? they had to be less then 18", they look about 12", per UPC 804.1
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X