X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with toilet

Last night the upstairs toilet was clogged. When my son used the plunger large amount of water leaked out into the lower bedroom ceiling. No visible signs in or around the bathroom or toilet. The toilet works fine but I am afraid to flush it and have more water go into the bedroom ceiling. I have changed out toilets before so I am handy with plumbing. Could it be a blown out wax ring. Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Problem with toilet

A wax ring is only a couple bucks. Try that first.

Comment

Got brave and let water through the flapper alittle at a time with no leaks then with a full flush still no leaks. I believe if I had a problem with the wax ring there should be leaking I stumped.

Comment

I rarely use a plunger for that very reason of blowing out the wax ring. A snake only takes 5 min longer and I don't have to worry. It sounds like it was a wax ring. When using the plunger it put the water under pressure causing it to leak. With no plunger it funneled right in. I going to go out on a limb and guess 2 things; #1 your toilet is caulked around the bottom, #2 you have a flanged wax ring.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yes to both questions. Thanks for the help. I guess i know what I doing on Saturday. Again thanks

Comment

If you blow the wax out with a plunger it was leaking anyway and needed replacement.
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

a wax ring not properly set, or properly compressed will leak during a stoppage or sometimes a running toilet.

the closet flange is suppose to be sitting on top of the finished floor. if it's below the floor, it's too low. there are thicker bowl waxes and usually you can get by with 2 properly stacked bowl waxes. beyond that, raise the flange.

a leaking bowl wax is easy to see, when you remove the toilet and examine the color of the wax. i find it easy to spot, but then again, i seen enough to know good from bad.

by the way, a toilet is suppose to be caulked completely around the base, at the contact from toilet to floor.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Didn't have any problems before it always flushed fine. The toilet is cauked. Could it be anything besides a ring.

Comment

Yeah , a cracked flange , a cracked toilet , a cracked riser , a cracked closet bend . We can't see under that toilet any better than you can .

Comment

Originally posted by steveleb View Post
                    Didn't have any problems before it always flushed fine. The toilet is cauked. Could it be anything besides a ring.
                    i doubt it since it seems to be flushing fine since you cleared the stoppage. the ring will allow the water to funnel into the pipe. once the pipe is stopped up, the seal/ wax will leak again.

you will find once you carefully pull the toilet, that the wax will be a lot darker at the location it was leaking. also it will not be compressed as it should be to make a proper seal.

if you post a picture of the wax ring before you clean it off the flange, we can tell you where it leaked. if it pulls up from the flange and is stuck to the bottom of the toilet, then it's more difficult to see.

also if the flange is below the top of the floor. you need to either raise the flange, get a thicker wax, or double the wax. don't use those plastic spacers. they always leak as installed.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                      Excellent point on the plastic stacking W/C flange risers.I saw a production housing plumber install hundreds of toilets with them.Lots of failures.

Obviously not a very well tested product during it's design stage.

GOOD THING IT WAS BEFORE THE MOLD FAD.

Comment

what do you think is better wax or the foam type ring [ not sure what it made of ]
                        how about the wax ring with the plastic funnel in it .
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          what do you think is better wax or the foam type ring [ not sure what it made of ]
                          how about the wax ring with the plastic funnel in it .
                          Hawk,

This is only from my experience.

The Wax is the only seal I have used for floor mount W/C.The foam is the only seal I have seen yet for wall mounted W/Cs and Urinals.Unfortunately I do not even know why they don't use wax on verical surfaces.

Maybe in the past somewhere there was an outbreak of technitions running hot water to toilets and urinals thereby melting the wax

On the issue of stacking waxes I like to use the (funnelled) ring above the standard ring to assist in keeping both rings aligned during compression.

Now I'm not so sure about having the sleeve so close to the porceline outlet as another poster on a previous thread said he does not beleive they should not be used at all.

But in the time it takes me to write this post I have thought about it and am going back to my original thought that I don't want the rings slipping off each other and causing a home damaging leak.I have done 100's of deep wax installations with this process and have not had issues with stoppages due to the sleeve interfering with the toilet outlet.

Adam

p.s I wonder if there is a possibility of the foam decomposing over time?
                          Last edited by drtyhands; 08-31-2007, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Rick I did use a plastic spacer when I tiled my floor. What the best thing to use to raise the flange up.

Comment

Originally posted by steveleb View Post
                              Rick I did use a plastic spacer when I tiled my floor. What the best thing to use to raise the flange up.
                              There are different configurations depending what you have to work with.

Whatcha got? (floor flange and pipe)

Comment

Working...
                              X