X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-did old cast iron

Hello, looking for some help... I redid an old cast iron trap from my washer ( the set-up actually was sealed with washer rinse hose attached to cast iron ) and now I'm having my washer load water rise back up my pipe... is it too high ? maybe I need to snake the bottom trap? do you think I should seal the whole unit or does it need air to flow( it vents through the roof)? where do I catch lint if I just hang the overflow in pipe ? Thanks for any help..
    Attached Files

Re: re-did old cast iron

Don't know about anyone else, but I had a tough time making out the piping configuration so I downloaded the pic and lightened it up a bit.

Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Is it a brand new washer?? If so, then the water load at once might be to much and the pipe itself may need to be cabled or jetted...If you just replaced the pipe, alot of times, build up at the connection or bottom of stack will increase because the pipe is being disturbed. Just sounds to me like the pipe needs to be cleaned out...If you can take off that Cleanout cap on the stack, try running a garden hose thru it to see if water starts flowing out of it.

Greg
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Yes you need to have drain power snaked A.S.A.P. this is very common with old cast iron drains, you get a lot of lint buildup;
        i would say call a drain cleaner!!

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

TODAY LAUNDRY DRAINS ARE 2"" YOU CAN STILL GET BY WITH THE 1 1/2" DRAIN YOU HAVE JUST BE AWARE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CABLE THE DRAIN MORE OFTEN,
          I DID NOT NOTICE THE CLEAN OUT PLUG YOU HAVE BEFORE,
          YOU COULD RENT A POWER SNAKE AT A RENTAL YARD OR H.D.
          GET A 3/8" OR 1/2" CABLE IS AS BIG A SNAKE YOU CAN GET THOUGH THIS SIZE PIPE!!
          SORRY GUYS ABOUT CAPS!! FORGOT I HAD THEM ON

JERRYMAC
          JERRYMAC
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

jerrymac can you change the bold on your post i is hard to read
            thanks
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Don't know about anyone else, but I had a tough time making out the piping configuration so I downloaded the pic and lightened it up a bit.

So what am I looking at here Bob? A 4x2" tapped tee? maybe 1-1/2"?

I squinted really hard and still can't tell

The galv. nipple looks new so not sure why he would have a stoppage problem unless the cast iron stack is clogged further down the line.

Are you getting just soap suds coming back up?

Is that a threaded x ABS solvent weld 90 I'm looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by mlazar View Post
                Hello, looking for some help... I redid an old cast iron trap from my washer ( the set-up actually was sealed with washer rinse hose attached to cast iron ) and now I'm having my washer load water rise back up my pipe... is it too high ? maybe I need to snake the bottom trap? do you think I should seal the whole unit or does it need air to flow( it vents through the roof)? where do I catch lint if I just hang the overflow in pipe ? Thanks for any help..
                If your only complaint is water rises in the riser that is normal as there is too high of a flow for it not to. If you are saying it overflow the riser you likely need to snake the drain.

Mark

Edit: Looking at the picture I am wondering if it is an 1 1/2" nipple with a flush-tapped bushing into the 2" P-Trap. If so it may be catching lint on the shoulder of the bushing.

If you snake your line try to do it from the cleanout just below the san-tee. If it is an 1 1/2" drain in the wall and your drain is clear you may want to consider increasing the size of your riser (not your trap) to a 3" or 4 " riser.
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-03-2007, 11:22 AM.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

If you are able, and feel safe in doing so. You could rent a snake from home depot, and snake the line yourself. If it's a one story house, most people would do this from the roof vent. After snaking the line run the washer a few times full of water, and check for leaks . I would not make a tight connection at where the hose goes into the riser pipe. Can cause problems with the pump on the washer. Freddy

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    If your only complaint is water rises in the riser that is normal as there is too high of a flow for it not to. If you are saying it overflow the riser you likely need to snake the drain.

Mark

Edit: Looking at the picture I am wondering if it is an 1 1/2" nipple with a flush-tapped bushing into the 2" P-Trap. If so it may be catching lint on the shoulder of the bushing.

If you snake your line try to do it from the cleanout just below the san-tee. If it is an 1 1/2" drain in the wall and your drain is clear you may want to consider increasing the size of your riser (not your trap) to a 3" or 4 " riser.
                    Sounds like Marks cat is at it again

CAT,the 3-4" would have the same head pressure as the 2",no?

So all the OP would be doing is making a 30" vertical reservior to hold the washing machines water capacity.

May I suggest a 20" diameter by 30" high tailpiece above the inlet of the trap to hold the water till the 1 1/2 glogged drainline can catch up

Good Morning,
                    Adam

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

So all the OP would be doing is making a 30" vertical reservior to hold the washing machines water capacity.

May I suggest a 20" diameter by 30" high tailpiece above the inlet of the trap to hold the water till the 1 1/2 glogged drainline can catch up

Good Morning,
                      Adam
                      i couldn't open the picture but it looks like an old laundry tray outlet.

adam hit on it with a twist. the 1.5'' pipe has a hard time to handle the flow of a modern machine. a little soap or lint buildup will slow things down. also most older installations share the same branch line as a kitchen sink line. i would try properly snaking and then if needed jetting. since i can't see the photo, you might think about changing it to all new 2'' abs. abs cleans up much nicer than cast or durham ever will.

the laundry tray use to hold the water and drain over a short period of time. hence adam sort of reinvented the laundry tray

happy labor day

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Good Morning,
                        Adam
                        Well as I posted assuming the drain is clear increase the size of the riser. The idea would be to increase the volume the rise could handle. We use to do it to the old apartment buildings in LA all the time due to the 1 1/2" traps from old laundry trays.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am sorry about caps i somestimes forget thet i have them,

but to the posts after mine he has 1 1/2" cast iron that may have K/S drain tied into same drain??
                          thats why i said get drain snaked A.S.A.P. to clear lint and grease out of drain,
                          eather by doing it himself or calling a drain plumber
                          think you guys just had to add 2 cents worth to all your post!!!

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN

P. S. if he had asked before he did work i would have suggested that he use (2) two inch p-trap and riser!!
                          JERRYMAC
                          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            So what am I looking at here Bob? A 4x2" tapped tee? maybe 1-1/2"?

I squinted really hard and still can't tell

The galv. nipple looks new so not sure why he would have a stoppage problem unless the cast iron stack is clogged further down the line.

Are you getting just soap suds coming back up?

Is that a threaded x ABS solvent weld 90 I'm looking at?
                            I had a tough time too, that's why I downloaded and adjusted the properties on the photo so I could make it out a little better.

Yeah, to me it looks like what Mark saw, a 1-1/2" Galv. Nipple into a 2" ABS trap and the other end screwed into a 4x1-1/2 tap tee (with some teflon tape?) stacked on top of a 4x2 wye.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hey guys maybe i need my glasses on;
                              but i don't see anything like 4" C.I. in that wall??
                              what i see is 2" or maybe 1 1/2" cast into durham with 1 1/2"
                              abs p-trap!!!

JERRYMAC
                              JERRYMAC
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X