X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need lateral advice

I use strictly 2 ways as well . And I RARELY have a problem cleaning through them . I agree that after 8' deep or so a dorectional would be preferred . Most of my inspectors also prefer 2 ways . I'
    ve found that true in three major cities .

Comment

That's it ! I;m back on 2 ways .I'm going to have heavy tags made in red/ w /white letters 2 way sweep. With a small pan head screw I'll screw a small connector chain onto the end of the Plug. Hardware store near Me Makes plastic
      tags. I'll backtrack custs. and put then on old jobs. Don't want to cause heartaches!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Here, Red paint means electric, Green paint means sanitary sewer, and blue paint means water

If someone spray painted a lid red around here, you wouldnt want to mess with it.

Alot of the cleanout and or traps at the curb line get overgrown with grass, or the sanitary and storm traps are side by side. We paint the lids green to tell us which one is sanitary for future referance, and it does come in handy.

Greg
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          robert, the red is just a warning for "us in the know" to look twice before crossing the street

steve and i use it to warn the guys that a 2 way c/o is used.

we never, never install a 2 way c/o as the cost of 2 separate clean outs and the ease of snaking is not worth the $20.00 savings in material.

when a sewer is plugged up and you can't see the bottom of the line, a 2 way c/o is a 50/50 gamble.

i've cleared lots of lines that others didn't know were 2 ways.

rick.

zeljka, what

Rob doesn't need me to support him..he has his own b...lls!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
            Rob doesn't need me to support him..he has his own b...lls!!!
            Oh no, you are wrong! He does need you
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Hey guys; you are missing a point, tool said he was installing C/O at curb line where it's going to be 6" to 10" deep!!
              so a tile probe won't tell you which you are going with snake,
              and you can't always tell which way the cable is bending at that deep,
              so back to what i said earlyer dbl. clean-outs crossed linked,
              also toolaolic; when you use the 'ROOT-X" start at the house,
              inside at toilet so you can protect the whole line,
              if you need directions P.M. me like before??

JERRYMAC
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

HEY TOOLAOLIC; SOMETHING EVERBODY FORGOT TO MENTION;
                THE AS A B-1 CONTRACTOR YOU MAY KNOW ALREADY JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE I THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION IT??

GET DIG ALERT OUT BEFORE YOU
                START DIGGING!!!
                also green paint is the universal color for sewers as drain medic posted earlyer, if i see red paint i would start looking for fire sprinklers on house!!!

P.S. SORRY ABOUT CAPS GUYS ONCE I GET STARTED TYPEING I DON'T LIKE TO GO BACK AND CHANGE IN MID STREAM;

JERRYMAC
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Jerry,
                  Not even I missed the point,Rick and Robert were just discussing the pros and cons on different applications.Rick suggests the texas twin to be used for tight applications.Most of the plumbers here use crossing combys if they want double cleanout.

Are you really gonna start looking for sprinklers?I don't think so
                  Red means stop and think,at least to me.

I looked up tools profile to see if I could get an idea of how long he's been doing this.That,along with him having his own equipment I would assume he would call the locating services.The only people anymore who don't are DIY's Who think they can just rent a machine and start ripping out material

Comment

Hi dirty hands. I'm a gen b. in N ca. I have allways done My own plumbing under My B lic. I own a lot of equept Including B. Hoe and 18 yd. dump.Call USA /? You betcha. Let's see this is My 45 th. Year in the trades. I'M I/2 way there !
                    Last winter large retaining wall, extend New wall out on down slope. Old gas line in drive to be taken up. I run 50 ft. of u. grnd with riser for pge. Of course GE+e, and rest of utilitys. are marked out
                    But gas marking is wrong, Way off. One of My lads hits it . Try to charge Me $ 1400 for emergency repair. Never happened! They say it should of been re-marked after each 28 days. When repair crew showed up The boss looked at marks and said W T F .I said I;ll bring Your crew into court if You push this.
                    Pays not to fold!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

And The Crowd Goes Wild!!!!!!!

Comment

Tool,I hope you did not read my post my previous post & think I was taking a shot atchu.I was giving you credit for experience

Good Job

Adam

Comment

[quote=drtyhands;91768]Jerry,
                          Not even I missed the point,Rick and Robert were just discussing the pros and cons on different applications.Rick suggests the texas twin to be used for tight applications.Most of the plumbers here use crossing combys if they want double cleanout.

Are you really gonna start looking for sprinklers?I don't think so
                          Red means stop and think,at least to me.

Red means to me that bunch of kids were playing with a chaulk

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                            Noooooo! what happens when the stoppage is in the middle of the fitting? Your "two-way" clean out becomes basically useless. You can try to run a smaller cable and bend the end to force it the right way but that's not really the correct way and is a hassle.

Ummm, last time I checked the abs two way c/o does not have a baffle, so you don't have that problem, like with the old two way cast iron c/o's.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

i didn't call mark, us oldtimers know right from wrong

rick.
                              I have never heard of that. I've installed numerous original clean outs, and if you do it by code (UPC anyway) you should be able to clean the drain from back to termination.
                              the dog

Comment

robert wait until you own your own jetter and have to replace the jetter hose that you pull out with a truck. my advise was to camera the line and see what is causing the hose to be stuck. running the pulsation mode causes a jumping action and will save over 50% of the friction. also without the camera ben didn't know if he was in a backwater valve.

once he saw the hose was stuck outside of the pipe, he had 3 choices. dig it up, try using the pulsation mode while rotating the hose, or pull with the truck and see what gives. the hose, the pipe, or the bumper.

personally, i've never been stuck, where i couldn't get out of. and pulling my $2000 hose (400' of 1/2'')and $1000 nozzle(warthog) is not something i would try unless i had no other choice.

your suggestion worked sight unseen. my suggestion was a more conservative and planned out method. i doubt if the plumber has to pay for the hoses that get destroyed or the nozzle that breaks off.
                                p.s. it was not ben that was stuck. it was a co-worker.

rick.

first of all, since you have never been stuck outside the pipe, you wouldn't know that the jump jet does not work, so let me tell you from experience, when the head is outside the pipe, the jump jet feature will not work, so you either dig it, or pull it with a vehicle, I have pulled them out before and have yet to break or stretch a hose, when you are stuck in an offset, the head will not jump out, if you blow out the side of a pipe, yes, you can get your head out.

as for the cost, a warthog cost no more then $800, and that would be top of the line, they have deals where you can buy 4 heads for 1,000. PM me and I will give you the link.

As far as who was stuck, I was made well aware of who was stuck, as far as the camera, that was my first question, from what I could gather, the head was outside the pipe, the camera was going to confirm this.

As for the backwater valve, you don't need a camera to see if you are stuck in one, experience will tell you if your fixture/fixtures are below the street manhole, then you will more then likely have a backwater, if everything is above, you will not have a backwater, Beside, backwater valves are usually installed under the house or when the sewer exits the house, first 5 feet, not 50' from the house which was the footage estimation.

Happy days daddy
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X