Need lateral advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need lateral advice

This for My Sons Inlaws. Time to give back, for Tool ! wonderful wedding ,top shelf, big $$. They have a slab on grade. No outside clean out. Root problems near street. Sewer district was working on street,camered at end of Lateral near curb saw roots. I have about 15 ft of exposed dirt at curb, Junipers in this area. all concrete sidewalk[40 ft. to foundation] . If I put cleanout at found. I have to repair concrete!,I know this is the best place. I have a full size backhoe. I plan to excavate at curb to concrete walkway, removing Bloody junipers, Demo this terra cotta. Use root cutters to house. Install 15 ft. a b s with kelly fitting [2 way clea out] 4 lbs. ROOT EX . Any help appreciated ,Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Need lateral advice

Toolman; you don't want to put in a dble clean out!!!
    any one trying to snake drain can't tell which way snake is going until it pops up though the toilets of course breaking them in process

the best way is to use (2) two differant combo's the one closest to street facing the house,
    the one closest to upstream side facing the street
    that way there is no dead spaces in line that your cable can't go. one up to house and one down to street.

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

if You Have Any Other Questions P.m. Me

Jerrymac
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post

Toolman; you don't want to put in a dble clean out!!!
        any one trying to snake drain can't tell which way snake is going until it pops up though the toilets of course breaking them in process

the best way is to use (2) two differant combo's the one closest to street facing the house,
        the one closest to upstream side facing the street
        that way there is no dead spaces in line that your cable can't go. one up to house and one down to street.

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER & MASTER DRAINMAN
        jerry just got promoted to "bigmac" for speaking the real deal 1 more and you move up to a "double double" for us west coasters and josh

tool another nice fitting is a "texas twin" it basically is a dual riser criss cross double combi fitting. takes up just a little more space than a single cast iron c/o fitting. great fitting when space is an issue.

a single riser 2 way c/o is a disaster waiting to happen. i paint them red when i come across them.

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-03-2007, 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thank's, will use long sweep at curb back to house
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Just for the record, I use two way c/o's on 3' and above, it is a compact way instead of having two different 3" or 4" risers coming from the ground. sadly, because not everone is an experienced drain cleaner accidents do happen. I have never gone back up the wrong way, the trick is to watch the cable ride on either the front or the back of the c/o riser, if it rides the back, you are going the right direction, if it rides the front, you are going into the house.

This thread is pretty taken care of, I just wanted to post about 2 way c/o's which are code approved and used regularly. I wanted to give some info to drain cleaners and other plumbers who need info on the right way to handle any 3" or 4" c/o, every main line c/o should be treated as a 2 way c/o.

Another trick is to use a sewer probe and feel for the sweep of the comby.

For the record, the red spray paint means nothing in the plumbing trade to identify the type of c/o, it is better to just treat every main line c/o as 2 way until the stoppage is cleared.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              For the record, the red spray paint means nothing in the plumbing trade to identify the type of c/o, it is better to just treat every main line c/o as 2 way until the stoppage is cleared.
              I have always been told Red was a 2-way, Green was upstream and Blue was downstream?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

robert, the red is just a warning for "us in the know" to look twice before crossing the street

steve and i use it to warn the guys that a 2 way c/o is used.

we never, never install a 2 way c/o as the cost of 2 separate clean outs and the ease of snaking is not worth the $20.00 savings in material.

when a sewer is plugged up and you can't see the bottom of the line, a 2 way c/o is a 50/50 gamble.

i've cleared lots of lines that others didn't know were 2 ways.

rick.

zeljka, what
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  robert, the red is just a warning for "us in the know" to look twice before crossing the street

steve and i use it to warn the guys that a 2 way c/o is used.

we never, never install a 2 way c/o as the cost of 2 separate clean outs and the ease of snaking is not worth the $20.00 savings in material.

when a sewer is plugged up and you can't see the bottom of the line, a 2 way c/o is a 50/50 gamble.

i've cleared lots of lines that others didn't know were 2 ways.

rick.

zeljka, what

This is purely your opinion Rick, I know how to perform my job correctly and never go the wrong way back up a 2 way c/o. Just because you and steve do it, dosen't mean it's something everyone has to do or it is the right way. Like I said the it is my opinion and I know many people who don't want even one c/o in their yard let alone two different rising out of the ground, green yard box or not.

As far as your 50/50 gamble, untrue do to the fact if you pay attention and know how to handle your machine, you will have no problems running a 2 way c/o.

Just let it go rick, (12 flappers) and be happy, not everyone has to agree with you so don't try

Red spray paint is your choice and I can ask 40 other guy's if they come to a red spray painted c/o what it means, they will say, Who knows???
                  Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-03-2007, 08:52 PM. Reason: misspelling
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I have always been told Red was a 2-way, Green was upstream and Blue was downstream?

Mark

You have to be joking mark
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

i didn't call mark, us oldtimers know right from wrong

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i didn't call mark, us oldtimers know right from wrong

rick.

Thats all you have, is pure specualtion Just like yesterday, I believe we both got the same phone call about a jetter being stuck, you said use the pulsation mode, THAT NEVER WORKS!!! I have been stuck before, pulsator never works, especially once your outside the pipe.

I recieved another phone call a couple hours later telling me that I gave the correct advice and the problem was solved.

Just because it isn't ricks way it has to be wrong, what did the trade ever do without rick????

Love you rick, but get you head out of your bottom buddy
                        Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-03-2007, 09:28 PM.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Oh you think?
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thats all you have, is pure specualtion Just like yesterday, I believe we both got the same phone call about a jetter being stuck, you said use the pulsation mode, THAT NEVER WORKS!!! I have been stuck before, pulsator never works, especially once your outside the pipe.

I recieved another phone call a couple hours later telling me that I gave the correct advice and the problem was solved.

Just because it isn't ricks way it has to be wrong, what did the trade ever do without rick????

Love you rick, but get you head out of your bottom buddy
                            robert wait until you own your own jetter and have to replace the jetter hose that you pull out with a truck. my advise was to camera the line and see what is causing the hose to be stuck. running the pulsation mode causes a jumping action and will save over 50% of the friction. also without the camera ben didn't know if he was in a backwater valve.

once he saw the hose was stuck outside of the pipe, he had 3 choices. dig it up, try using the pulsation mode while rotating the hose, or pull with the truck and see what gives. the hose, the pipe, or the bumper.

personally, i've never been stuck, where i couldn't get out of. and pulling my $2000 hose (400' of 1/2'')and $1000 nozzle(warthog) is not something i would try unless i had no other choice.

your suggestion worked sight unseen. my suggestion was a more conservative and planned out method. i doubt if the plumber has to pay for the hoses that get destroyed or the nozzle that breaks off.
                            p.s. it was not ben that was stuck. it was a co-worker.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Just for the record, I use two way c/o's on 3' and above, it is a compact way instead of having two different 3" or 4" risers coming from the ground. sadly, because not everone is an experienced drain cleaner accidents do happen. I have never gone back up the wrong way, the trick is to watch the cable ride on either the front or the back of the c/o riser, if it rides the back, you are going the right direction, if it rides the front, you are going into the house.

This thread is pretty taken care of, I just wanted to post about 2 way c/o's which are code approved and used regularly. I wanted to give some info to drain cleaners and other plumbers who need info on the right way to handle any 3" or 4" c/o, every main line c/o should be treated as a 2 way c/o.

Another trick is to use a sewer probe and feel for the sweep of the comby.

Noooooo! what happens when the stoppage is in the middle of the fitting? Your "two-way" clean out becomes basically useless. You can try to run a smaller cable and bend the end to force it the right way but that's not really the correct way and is a hassle.

Comment

Working...
                              X