Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I use the Telescopic Basin Wrench?

I'm trying to change my first bathroom faucet ever, can you tell !

Anyway, the Home Depot recommended some Liquid Wrench and the Ridgid Telescopic Basin Wrench for unscrewing the old faucet. But I can't figure out how to make the wrench "lock on" to unscrew the bottom of the old faucet. Because I'm under the sink, I don't have the best angle for using leverage to unscrew these old rusted bolts, but I thought the wrench was supposed to help me with that.

A little frustrated with the tool, and could use some advice. Thanks!

Re: How do I use the Telescopic Basin Wrench?

Originally posted by askias View Post

Anyway, the Home Depot recommended some Liquid Wrench and the Ridgid Telescopic Basin Wrench for unscrewing the old faucet. But I can't figure out how to make the wrench "lock on" to unscrew the bottom of the old faucet. Because I'm under the sink, I don't have the best angle for using leverage to unscrew these old rusted bolts, but I thought the wrench was supposed to help me with that.

The wrench is your best bet, a tip, I get the wrench on there really good, then I use a pipe wrench to help turn it. I have had cut the faucet of due to age before, to do this, I cut it with a sawzall from the top, or I use my sawzall that turns different directions and can cut the nut enough under the sink to snap it off with a flat head screw driver. The drill bit works really well, but don't miss and break the sink, then use the flat head to snap the nut.

Under a lav, it is tough, but it can be done, another thing you can do is take it apart from the top, break it apart and see if that will help. you won't be able to remove it this way, but you may be able to break enough off to help with the removal of the bottom.

I don't have any pictures of your set up, so I cannot give you the exact advice, but there is a few hints. ne other thing you can do is take a tiny tim hacksaw blade and score the nut from underneath and then snap it with a flat head screw driver since I am sure you don't have a sawzall.

The basin wrench opens up and goes on oposite of how you are trying to turn the nut, very simple, it only goes 2 different directions so you will know right away when you get leverage, then the handle hangs down making it a small right angle wrench
    Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

depending on the condition of the nuts, the material, and the the type of nuts will determine the best tool of choice.

some 4'' center set faucets use 1/4'' studs and nuts. a sock will work best.

some use pot metal nuts on the 1/2'' faucet shanks. those usually crumble and a drill or dremel will cut them off if they don't turn. i also have a "nut cracker" that will split the nut, but it's not a tool you want to try on your own for fear of breaking the sink.

the brass nuts and plastic nuts are the ones that a basin wrench work best on. also ridgid makes a slick new wrench for installing lock nuts and feed lines.

once you master a basin wrench, you'll be ready for the "hoodie ring" driver. now that's a specialty tool.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        depending on the condition of the nuts, the material, and the the type of nuts will determine the best tool of choice.

some 4'' center set faucets use 1/4'' studs and nuts. a sock will work best.

some use pot metal nuts on the 1/2'' faucet shanks. those usually crumble and a drill or dremel will cut them off if they don't turn. i also have a "nut cracker" that will split the nut, but it's not a tool you want to try on your own for fear of breaking the sink.

the brass nuts and plastic nuts are the ones that a basin wrench work best on. also ridgid makes a slick new wrench for installing lock nuts and feed lines.

once you master a basin wrench, you'll be ready for the "hoodie ring" driver. now that's a specialty tool.

rick.
        I loaned my hoodie ring driver to a kid who broke the retainer clip off of it.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I loaned my hoodie ring driver to a kid who broke the retainer clip off of it.

Mark
          i hate when that happens

i'm glad i don't do hoodie rings anymore

they are a pain especially in a tile top. don't ask why anyone would install a hoodie into a tile top, but it's been done before

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i hate when that happens

they are a pain especially in a tile top. don't ask why anyone would install a hoodie into a tile top, but it's been done before

rick.
            Wow I cannot every recall a hoodie rim in tile. It seems it would be too thick.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

special offset clips.

i guess they wanted the flush look, so no self rimming sink. and they didn't want to use 1/4 round around the sink

there are now sinks with a finished edge that you can tile flush to the tile top.

we didn't spec the sinks, but just installed the specs

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Or just call a plumber??

JERRYMAC
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by askias View Post

If you can't get it off I'll come over and give you a few tips.

Falls Church is less than 5 miles from me

Comment

If it is/are steel nuts the problem, a deep well socket and an extension may be the better tool.

If the unit has been in since Noah sailed the ark, Some times there is no removal with out breaking the bolts or cutting them or other forms of destruction may be in order.

IF there is jsut no room to work and all else fails you can remove the sink and then take the faucet off the sink when its out and you can get to all of it. unless it is a molded in sink then that doesn't work very well.

I felt the basin wrench worked better on larger nuts or fittings such on the supply tubes.

but to make it work it is basically a close quarters spring loaded mini pipe wrench and the head swivels for right and left hand work, the handle telescopes and has a positive spring loaded locking extension, with sliding handle in the extension.
                    Designed for reaching up under behind the sink,

Once the head is centered on the nut/fitting, the sliding rod in the bottom of the handle is for leverage,

determine which side the head needs to be for the work to be done, reach up and center it on the nut/fitting rotating it so that it locks on to the nut/fitting and then continue to turn it the tighter it is turned the harder it should bite, (centering it on the nut/fitting to get it bite some times can take a try or two), once locked on turn (like noted in another post) using another wrench to turn the handle of the basin wrench may be needed to break it lose, if it is really tight.

(it may be good to try it on a nut or fitting you can see easily and not under the sink to see how it is to work, and does work)
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i hate when that happens

rick.
                      Rick,

Check this out, here's what I'm dealing with on this hottsy-tottsy country club facility. Some of the toilet rooms have plywood with covered counter tops (not in the "exclusive areas). The architect changed the sinks from over-the-counter to under-counter. I and the job superintendent informered the genius that you would end up with exposed wood between the counter top and the sink. It's under consideration......

Hootie rings suck. I think I can speak for all plumbers when I say that.
                      the dog

Comment

While we're on the subject,can anyone tell me if hoodie makes longer screws so I can quit using the plumbers tape.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                          Rick,

Check this out, here's what I'm dealing with on this hottsy-tottsy country club facility. Some of the toilet rooms have plywood with covered counter tops (not in the "exclusive areas). The architect changed the sinks from over-the-counter to under-counter. I and the job superintendent informered the genius that you would end up with exposed wood between the counter top and the sink. It's under consideration......

I second the hootie rings

throw some paint on that exposed wood and a little caulk and it will all be good (kidding)
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                            I second the hootie rings

throw some paint on that exposed wood and a little caulk and it will all be good (kidding)
                            Nope DOGS gonna lay on his back with a router and chisel and remove all the plywood
                            under every sink,Happily whistling to the day going by.

Cause thats just the kinda guy he is

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                              Rick,

dog, sometimes the plumber is smarter than the architect. they typically don't look pass the specs. we see the issues they don't.

they either go with a hoodie or they use the formica to band the edge. at this point, go with the hoodie or back to self rimming.
                              but us plumbers already knew that

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X