2 way cleanout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 way cleanout

How deep are cleanouts in the west coast? I see 2 way's here all the time but the depth is almost always less the 2 ft at the invert. I've never had a problem knowing which way the snake is going. Mark and Rick, when you talked about the color codes for the cleanout, is this code or is this just something plumber commonly accepted and adopted through the years?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: 2 way cleanout

ben, i guess you've ben reading roberts and i's debate

typical clean outs vary based on location and if there is a basement.

usually a clean out is anywhere from 2' to 5' as it exits the house.

the issue is that when there is a stoppage, you can't see the bottom of the pipe to determine if a 2 way c/o was installed. i would say that less than 10% of the jobs i run into have 2 way c/o. fortunately all of my regular customers, i have records of and red paint to warn to look out for the 2 way.

here is the other issue. assuming there is a 2 way. when the stoppage is before the 2 way c/o, you can look down into the fitting and see it's a 2 way and know to run back wards towards the stoppage. unless you know for a fact how far you can safely run your cable upstream, you can get in trouble. when i have to install a 2 way, it's always a twin riser with the safe footage stamped or painted on the cover/ plug. i know this from running the camera. a waste line is not designed to be snaked backwards as the fittings, wyes, tees, will not allow for change of directions in reverse.

a reverse c/o is only installed by me if there is no feasible choice once i've camered the line. unfortunately there are plenty of them installed for no real reason and it's a guessing game if your snake is stuck in a stoppage or a fitting.

the red paint thing is something i use to warn others to look and it's been discussed with my buddies plumbers as i do their camera work.

even with a twin riser, i mark the max. safe footage you can snake. that's another reason why a sectional has an advantage. easy to know the footage as the sections are 7.5', 10' or 15' long. a drum cable is harder to keep marked.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Sorry Ben the color thing was a joke supporting Rick against my buddy Robert (sorry Robert). However, the rest of Rick's info is pretty typical on my jobs as well.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Yes; i agree with RICK on all above; thats why i install crosslinked dble
        combo's so you know wich way you are going,
        when ever i would do a job where this was done i could drop snake in line and work on clearing stoppages not worrying about popping up though the toilets!!

JERRYMAC
        JERRYMAC
        E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
        CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
        FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
        SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

So if I were to get into the drain cleaning business I better have a line locator for when the plumber before me does not cross his combys.

So Jerrymac,You told me you came up in the So. Cal. area.Why the term COMBOS instead of COMBYS

Comment

just Got My Terms Mixed Up I Stand Corrected!!!

Jerrymac
            JERRYMAC
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
              Yes; i agree with RICK on all above; thats why i install crosslinked dble
              combo's so you know wich way you are going,
              when ever i would do a job where this was done i could drop snake in line and work on clearing stoppages not worrying about popping up though the toilets!!

JERRYMAC

in referance to the "cross linked dbl combys" you know whats funny, I have seen guy's go up the wrong side and break toilets Nothing is fool proof, you just have to know whats going on.

the "max safe distance" is worthless, most plumbers can't tell how much cable they are feeding into the sewer and second, the caps on c/o's get replaced all the time because people don't use yard boxes or keep their risers to low and they get hit by the gardners. If a plumbers to stupid to know he's going the wrong way in a two way c/o, then he for sure has no clue how to count footage to know how much cable he has in a sewer.

I will say it again, this is how you tell if you are going in the right direction:

going towards the house, the cable rides the front of the riser, (furthest from the house)

going towards the street, the cable rides the back of the riser, (closest to the house) very simple!!
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 09-04-2007, 08:16 PM.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Sorry Robert 2-Way Cleanouts are garbage. It is just too easy to install an extra combi when you are cutting in a cleanout or running a new line (assuming you have the room for it). For drain cleaning it is a minor hassel because you have a stiff cable but for running a SeeSnake Mini it is a real hassel.

In a double cleanout the camera keeps trying to turn back on it's self so all you see is your push rod. I have gotten to the point where I pull out the self-leveling camera and lug it around on projects with 2-Way Cleanouts.

After a long day with up to 16-laterals and 16-house drains to camera I would prefer to go light with the Mini but I waste too much time on 2-Way Cleanouts so I use the self-leveling camera.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is why I like this forum ,Utah has a lot of experiance, I'll do 2 seperate combis as suggested.Don't want to offend anyone. I strive to do the best work,
                  No matter what I'm doing . Thank's Tool
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Robert i know all those tricks same as you!!
                    but standing in the dark in pouring rain sometimes it's kind of hard to tell which way the cable is bending don't you think??
                    i have done a lot of work though two C/O'S, san tee's on their back's,stand up risers on top of pipe cemented on, just about ever way, i have run 1065's form the ground though roof vent by myself.
                    and taken 300 mach's on roof that was so steep that i had to tie off with rope to keep from losing!! i spent many, many, HOLIDAY'S AND EVE'S on roof's in the dark of nite running main line and seconddary's
                    too many to count!!
                    so yes i kinow about which way the cable bends in a two way C/O'S
                    BUT THE WHOLE POINT IS IT'S STILL EASER TO USE DOUBLE COMBY'S

JERRYMAC
                    JERRYMAC
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

On this i agree with TO UTAH NOW!!!

JERRYMAC
                      JERRYMAC
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Robert i know all those tricks same as you!!
                        but standing in the dark in pouring rain sometimes it's kind of hard to tell which way the cable is bending don't you think?? Don't know, it never rains here, I am sure it would be a bit complicated, but thats what we get paid for.
                        i have done a lot of work though two C/O'S, san tee's on their back's,stand up risers on top of pipe cemented on, just about ever way, i have run 1065's form the ground though roof vent by myself. I run my duracable through roof vents by myself, I have also done a Spartan 1065 from the roof by myself, gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done
                        and taken 300 mach's on roof that was so steep that i had to tie off with rope to keep from losing!! i spent many, many, HOLIDAY'S AND EVE'S on roof's in the dark of nite running main line and seconddary's
                        too many to count!!
                        so yes i kinow about which way the cable bends in a two way C/O'S
                        BUT THE WHOLE POINT IS IT'S STILL EASER TO USE DOUBLE COMBY'S

JERRYMAC
                        Good deal on the steep roofs, I have yet to try that
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          This is why I like this forum ,Utah has a lot of experiance, I'll do 2 seperate combis as suggested.Don't want to offend anyone. I strive to do the best work,
                          No matter what I'm doing . Thank's Tool

Don't get me wrong, I strive to do the best work also! And I do!!
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

On this i agree with TO UTAH NOW!!!

JERRYMAC

i thought i was the one giving robert the lecture. sure i get all the crap and marks gets the praise

wait until zeljka gets wind of this

rick.

a little hint. i just did a 4'' plugged main today with my 1.25'' cable and 4'' cutters. i knew it had a san tee on it's back. i also knew my cable will go downstream with the san tee. once i cleared the stoppage. i was then able to guide the 4'' cutter back wards into the san tee and up stream.

the san tee is much more fore giving than the 2 way cleanout as far as a blind shot in the dark.

still i prefer 2 separate risers so there is no way to blow it.

green (go) for the downstream and red (stop) for the upstream. anybody thinking the red is electrical is not the person i want cleaning my drains or working in my house.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i thought i was the one giving robert the lecture. sure i get all the crap and marks gets the praise

wait until zeljka gets wind of this

rick.

a little hint. i just did a 4'' plugged main today with my 1.25'' cable and 4'' cutters. i knew it had a san tee on it's back. i also knew my cable will go downstream with the san tee. once i cleared the stoppage. i was then able to guide the 4'' cutter back wards into the san tee and up stream.

the san tee is much more fore giving than the 2 way cleanout as far as a blind shot in the dark.

still i prefer 2 separate risers so there is no way to blow it.

green (go) for the downstream and red (stop) for the upstream. anybody thinking the red is electrical is not the person i want cleaning my drains or working in my house.

rick.

It's ok Rick,

You are still learning how to get the prize

We like you Rick,rob jst likes to be a pain in your butt

Comment

Working...
                              X