X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/4" Pipe removal

Does anyone know of a way to remove 1 1/4" pipe, down a 15' hole? I was installing a driven well and had a fitting break 15' down. I need to pull back 2 lengths of 5' pipe and a well point.

Re: 1 1/4" Pipe removal

since i don't do wells, i will give my idea as a layman

1'' pipe fits pretty good into 1.25'' pipe.

can you possibly lay a weld bead on a piece of 1'' steel approx. 6'' up from the end. this way you have 6'' of clean pipe to line up into the 1.25'' and then the welded bead will act as a wedge with a little hammering. it should lock up and pull back.

were you using the proper couplings with a hand driven well?

rick.

i bet bhd will have a real answer.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If it broke and is 15' down in the ground and your trying to fish it out, of the hole that is left, above,

your nearly out of luck, NEARLY, IMO.

they to make fishing tools for well pullers, most are a wedge action slide type tool it either slips over the top of the pipe and then wedges on or into the pipe, there normally used to try to retrieve a string out of a well casing when some one has a very bad day pulling a well, and drops the string back into the hole,

right now I can't find any pictures of them,

here is a possibility,
      some type of expanding tool that one can feed down into the pipe and then twist and expand until it is very tight and can then pull that was, similar to an expanding anchor in concrete, this may be easier to make as one could probly use a piece of 1" pipe as the out side and then some shaft and thread the end, and weld on some type of taper to be able to draw it up in to the first 1" pipe (cut the pipe with some slots so it can expand easily) the expander could be ground down on a grinder, instead of a lath when it is down in the pipe, get a nut and washers, and start to tighten the units together, expanding the pipe inside the 1 1/4" pipe until it is very tight, and then attach on to the extend pipe and try to pull it out,

and depending on how much pipe is in the ground and how long it has been there, pulling it you may find it difficult, unless you have some very good equipment.

on another board a person was trying to pull a well point out to reuse, and had a 12 ton jack under it and could not budge it, I think it was down less than 20 feet.

I know in pulling fence posts some times the tractor loader will not budge them and there only in the ground a few feet,

my 60' windmill is held up with steel angle irons in the ground only 5 feet deep, and it has a 12' head on it, (yes there are cross braces) but when you have a 12 to 1 advantage in leverage and a leg spread of 1 to 5 (one foot out for ever 5' of height, and the legs don't pull out.

and driving a pipe is different that digging and putting in a hole with even fresh compacted soils around it. as you displaced the soils and there tighter than before,

Possibly sticking a garden hose down in it and soaking it for a few days even letting it wash up some extra dirt, may help loosen it up, if you can't get to move at first,

take a larger pipe and try to hydro jet over the top of the 1 1/4" pipe to remove the soil from around it, place a water hose on one end and start to feed the pipe in the ground letting the water wash out the soils and then going over the exiting broken pipe in the ground until it is free.

those are the ideas I have. I don't know if any of them will work or not.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

i bet bhd will have a real answer.
        i told you so

the jetter is a real good tool to soften the soil. i have a 50' set of jetting boring bars. amazing how fast a jet of water will go through dirt.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X